Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
I be XShipRider
Last Post 10 Dec 2008 10:20 PM by XShipRider. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
XShipRider

--
08 Dec 2008 11:36 PM
    There is a double meaning in that I rode ships in the CG for 9 years (MACKINAW, BRAMBLE, HARRIET LANE, SENECA, as well as some TAD time on BRISTOL BAY and the old 63' buoy boat out of Detroit - the latter was a one-of-a-kind boat under BMC Metz). Upon retirement I went to work for a fractional private jet provider called Flight Options. I started in Dispatch but moved to Scheduling after the first year. They sold fractional shares (essentially very high priced timesharing of private jet aircraft) to very rich people who could afford very expensive rides. One type aircraft they sold was Citation X (10s) which are quite fast, in the business jet world anyway. It was a cool jet but not the most spacious, not to mention it seemed to break often which had it sitting on the parking ramp more often than not. Anyway, I liked the moniker.

My other CG tours included Air Station Detroit, Air Station Savannah, ESU Miami/ESD Charleston, D14/dttm (commcen) and Group Detroit. I have the unique distinction of having attended two US Navy "A" schools to become a CG QM. I then changed rates after my first four years to RM which, of course, led to yet another "A" school, this one a CG run institution.

I was a QM, RM and TC, retiring as a TCC September 2001. My work included navigation/bridge, buoys, radio, commcens, all mingled with quite a few years of what is now IT work. I'm one of the few people to have attended three different System Manager training courses offered by the CG. One was under the old CTOS/BTOS computer based system which the CG used from the early 80s to late 90s. Then two others under the MS Windows NT umbrella, once to attend a 2-week course, the second time to critique the training after the course was extended to 3-weeks (because I so heavily critiqued the first class).

I am taking one Coast Guard secret to my grave - how the Ensigns' door on BRAMBLE got tied to the top of the water intake crib light 2 miles out of Cleveland Harbor. There are half a dozen of us who know how this door was spirited away from the Chiefs' hiding spot to it's ultimate resting place atop the light. Hint: It wasn't Tim the Sheep.

I am a moderator-at-large for this site. My real job is IT for a hospital.<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 12/9/2008 12:36:54 AM GMT

Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    08 Dec 2008 11:44 PM
    xshiprider.....

most of already know how valuable your information is. now we will all be amazed by that impressive resume.
    we are all truely lucky to have you here to keep us informed and to answer all of our questions!!

:):)

Jen
    Proud Coastguard Mom of
    SN Church, Brittney R.
    ISC Kodiak, Alaska

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~Benjamin Franklin

~Jen~
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    XShipRider

--
    09 Dec 2008 12:13 AM
    Thanks jen, but I'm still not giving away the secret mentioned in my post. smilewinkgrin

Seriously, I just want to help future generations [of Coasties] get answers and support.
    Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    09 Dec 2008 12:18 AM
    :):)

there is the xshiprider we
    have missed so much!!

lol~your secrets are still classified....
    i won''t pry for that info!!

and you have been a great help
    to our coast guard girl and family!!

Jen
    Proud Coastguard Mom of
    SN Church, Brittney R.
    ISC Kodiak, Alaska

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~Benjamin Franklin

~Jen~
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    09 Dec 2008 02:35 AM
    X,
    It is a pleasure to post with you!

www.gocoastguard.com

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    XShipRider

--
    09 Dec 2008 03:29 PM
    Thanks Chuk',

I have a very high regard for you and our recruiting staff.  I provided IT support to the recruiting office in Savannah while Regional System Manager at ESU Miami/ESD Charleston/Detached Duty Savannah (Air Station).  I gained quite a respect for your recruiting function which I thought, at one time anyway, was "cake."  I witnessed it as a lot of work with a fair amount of time spent on the road.

Hand salute,
    X
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Yarborough

--
    10 Dec 2008 04:43 PM
    Hey Ship, when were you in Charleston?

Teresa, Proud Mom of BM Brett Butler
    Station Wachapreague, Virginia

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    XShipRider

--
    10 Dec 2008 05:42 PM
    I was in and out of Charleston during my tenure at Air Station Savannah '94 - '97.  I was never actually stationed there because I was detached duty Savannah.  Here's the odd part...

I reported to Savannah under the guise of the independent duty RM1/TC1 billet.  My first year there the billet changed over to the Regional System Manager (RSM) billet for Savannah, with AirSta losing control of the  billet.  I guess this had been in the works for quite some time.  I continued to support the Air Station as CMS/EKMS manager, COMTAC, and still trained their opcen radio operators.  I was already the unit system manager and continued in that capacity.  The kicker was I now reported to ESD Charleston for RSM duties but remained living in Savannah with an office provided by the Air Station (this is the "detached duty" portion).  Another oddity was that I got marching orders from Darrell (I forget her last name) at Charleston for RSM duties but reported directly to ESU Miami (CWO Kevin Fabre - a superb boss!).  As you can see it was quite the convoluted arrangement.  All was to be rectified upon my transfer out in '97.  My replacement RSM was sent to Charleston.

I would drive the 2.5 hours to Charleston every other week to meet with the RSMs there.  I would also swap out equipment then, get software updates, etc.

Does that clear it up a bit?
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Yarborough

--
    10 Dec 2008 07:36 PM
    Gee Whiz sorry I asked, I just wanted to see how close our paths could have crossed. I guess you felt like you were meeting yourself in the road most of the time.  Glad thats over!!!!

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    XShipRider

--
    10 Dec 2008 10:20 PM
    Don't apologize. I enjoyed the drives 2 1/2 hours each way. I thought it was kind of odd they would want that, but it made more sense than moving me to Charleston (which was their first inclination upon obtaining the billet from AirSta). I loved working at the AirSta because the aviators are a great group. I spent little time there anyway because I supported all units from Brunswick, Georgia to Atlanta and, of course, Savannah -- a lot of driving between units.

Anyway, while there we would eat downtown Charleston. There was this micro-brewery where a group of us would gather to enjoy lunch.

Charleston and Savannah are both beautiful cities.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement