Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
OPINIONS PLEASE SHARE
Last Post 03 Sep 2018 11:14 AM by Guardian3. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Guardian3

--
02 Sep 2018 06:21 PM
    Hey everyone! Hope you are all enjoying your Labor Day weekend. I have a question that is a very important one. And I would like the opinions of all of you that have any experience with this kind of situation. I am in the part of the country that is beautiful, has amazing beaches and also happens to have a coast guard unit right here. I am in the process of going active duty right now, I am fresh out of the reserves, prior service from another branch. So I already know the reserves and how that life is. Well my situation is this. I just got a really amazing civilian job.I have always wanted to go active duty but since my spouse and I just both got really great civilian jobs I am having a tough time. I know if I get active my spouse and I will be living apart until I know where I’m stationed and maybe just maybe my spouse can meet me. I will also have to drop down to the rank of an E3 (totally fine with it) I know I could be on a cutter for 6 months at a time or even more. I know all of the things active duty has to offer and the pros and cons. What are the pros and cons of the reserves? My question is would I regret going reserves instead of active ? What are your opinions? I know reserves has a lot of options but on “drill weekend” will I just be doing paperwork and want more from the coast guard like actually be out on the water and doing stuff? Will I be able to deploy a lot in the reserves? Thanks ahead for your answers.. I also know right now is a great time to go active because of the recruiting goals they have right now. One last question, is the asvab requiremnt still the same standard for reserves because I know if you don’t get a qualifying score for active they will still let you in but you have to take a class to eventually qualify for a job. Thank you for your input!!
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    02 Sep 2018 07:26 PM
    I've been in the CG Reserve since 2001, so I can answer some of your questions. Something to understand about the Reserve program in the CG is that you are not assigned to a seperate Reserve unit, like the Army or Marine Corps are (unless you decide to go to a Port Security Unit). Reservists are integrated in with the Active Duty component. You're trained to the same standard they are, since you'll often be augmenting them. You'll be working alongside the active duty folks, doing the same jobs they are. If you're a Boatswain's Mate, you'll be expected to be coxswain qualified on whatever boat platform is at your unit if you're at a small boat station. If you're a Health Services Technician (medic, corpsman), you're expected to be able to deliver the same level of care an active duty HS would. The list goes on.

Often times, you can decide what days you want to come in to drill. It doesn't have to be the weekend, depending on unit needs and your schedule. Of course this is all dependant on Command approval.

As for the ASVAB, there's no difference between active duty and Reserve.

Let me know if you have any further questions
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Guardian3

--
    02 Sep 2018 08:00 PM
    Thank you for the quick response. That clears things up! I did not know they work directly with active duty. As far as the asvab goes, my score wasn’t “qualifying” for any job but was told if I’m active duty I can take it later. Some certain program they have where I can go to a class. Wasn’t sure if this applies for the reserves. My reserve component didn’t require a very high asvab score. For my specific job.
    Guardian3

--
    02 Sep 2018 08:13 PM
    Is there such thing as active reserve? I know some branches have a thing called “active guard reserve” where you are active duty for 1 year or so and your civilian employer has to keep your job when you come back.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    02 Sep 2018 08:36 PM
    When the CG refers to the active reserve, they're referring to those personnel who are in an active drilling status. That is, those who attend their two days a month and two weeks per year. The AGR your're referring to is unique to the ARNG/ANG. Now as a Reservist, you can volunteer for extended active duty periods IF they're available. That's not always the case. It's dependant on funding and unit needs.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Guardian3

--
    02 Sep 2018 09:19 PM
    Have you ever regretted not going active duty? Do you feel like your time in the reserves is enough?
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    03 Sep 2018 08:56 AM
    If both you and your wife have really, really great jobs and a wonderful area to live in, I suggest you look at how much income your family will loose if you go active duty. Not all Coast Guard units are in warm climates with beautiful beaches. You could end up in a very cold place.
    Guardian3

--
    03 Sep 2018 11:14 AM
    That is very true. Spouse is a navy contractor so not sure if we were stationed somewhere remote if the same job would be Avaliable. So if I tell my recruiter I was thinking about reserves instead would that be my same recruiter ?! Or would I have to go to a different one. Also not sure if they are even recruiting in my area. I am in California.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement