Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
OCS applicant with a drunk in public charge in college
Last Post 21 Oct 2018 04:07 AM by phxcoastie. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Resolved
jwest

--
05 Sep 2018 11:01 AM
    Hey everyone. I am looking at OCS as a viable option for myself but I'm afraid that my idiot college self will get in the way. A little about myself, I am a graduate student at an Ivy League university who has a clean record except for some stupid drunk in public charges from college. There were two times; once when my friends were walking me home and I was stumbling over myself and a second time when a house party got raided and I was in the house drunk as hell. Both times I was just drunk and confused, not aggressive in any way. Both of these charges were sealed and are not a matter of public record. However, I know that I will have to be honest with the recruiter. Should I just forget about OCS?

Also, should I be lucky enough to get OCS, how long after OCS do I have to remain in the Coast Guard? How many years after OCS could I pursue a career in the private sector?

Ematthew

--
    05 Sep 2018 11:37 AM
    So that means that you do not have a clean record. I’m thinking it’s even going to be difficult for you to join the USCG in general with that, let alone OCS. Also, to be straight forward, if you’re already thinking about how long you would have to wait to get out after OCS you shouldn’t be trying for it. It would likely be a waste of time for both parties. May not be the sugar coated response you were looking for but it’s the honest one.
    jwest

--
    05 Sep 2018 11:43 AM
    Honestly, I appreciate it. I guess its time to focus on different opportunities.
    jwest

--
    05 Sep 2018 11:45 AM
    Could I even join the coast guard reserve?
    Ematthew

--
    05 Sep 2018 11:53 AM
    I would talk to your local recruiter. He/she will be able to find out if the alcohol incidents would prevent you from joining, but either way it wouldn’t matter if you were going active or reserve. I know some people that have gotten in with minor things on their record. If you are able to join don’t let my opinion keep you from applying if you really want to try for OCS, maybe you’ll change your mind about making a career out of it. The process is just very strenuous and people try for years to get accepted, and many never make it.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    05 Sep 2018 12:39 PM
    Posted By jwest on 05 Sep 2018 12:45 PM
    Could I even join the coast guard reserve?

The Reserve has the same enlistment standards as the active duty side. Physical, background, etc. I'm not sure why people think there are two sets of standards
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    08 Sep 2018 10:35 AM
    Posted By Ematthew on 05 Sep 2018 12:37 PM
     Also, to be straight forward, if you’re already thinking about how long you would have to wait to get out after OCS you shouldn’t be trying for it. It would likely be a waste of time for both parties. May not be the sugar coated response you were looking for but it’s the honest one.

I disagree with this completely. There's nothing wrong with doing one tour and getting out. Plenty of people join for different reasons, and if the CG wanted you to stay in for longer they'd make contract lengths longer.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with planning to do one tour and be done.

That said, the CG's goal is to keep you in the service if you're a high performer. It's easy to plan on one and done then to realize that there are plenty of pros worth staying in for.
    phxcoastie

--
    21 Oct 2018 04:07 AM
    If you didn't receive a felony charge then apply. I had some minor hiccups like this on my record when I was a kid and I had no problem enlisting, obtaining a clearance, and later on attending OCS. Definitely be honest with the recruiter (you'll also need to disclose this on a clearance request), but you shouldn't have an issue.

To answer your question about time commitment: three years is the required service. However, you would probably want to commit to at least five years, because three years is only enough time to gain entry-level qualifications. To make these skills marketable, you'll need top spend at least some time actually performing/honing them. This goes for both enlisted and officer. Good luck!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement