Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Building a car for my father who served in the USCG
Last Post 08 Oct 2018 10:08 PM by atsig411. 24 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
atsig411

--
19 Sep 2018 10:11 PM
    All,

USCG community..

I am reaching out to get any info you have. My questions are pretty simple and may come across as insignificant. Maybe even strange.

I am building a car for my father. My father served from (i think i have this right) 1963-1967 in the USCG. He was born in 1944, and I know he "got out" in '67 or '68. All i can remember from childhood stories is he was an electrical engineer on a large cutter (please excuse me I really am pulling this from memory) in Iceland during the early starts of the Vietnam War.  I do know for certain he was stationed in Bodega Bay, CA. in 1966. As the story goes, he was stationed in Bodega Bay, and took his earnings and purchased a 1966 Chevy Impala 427 SS from a local Chevy dealer. He put it in storage, served the last year or two, and eventually got it when his service was finished.

I'll make a long story short because I realize this is a little crazy to be posting this in a forum.

My mother who is from Clear Lake CA whent down to Bodega Bay, my father was there, she liked his car...date....married.. kids.. I'm here writing about it on a forum.

The car is a very rare car. I have been searching for a few years. I found a a car from that period. 1966 SS 427 without the motor BUT I  found another sister motor so I am putting it all together. I have paint, wheels, and bumper, etc. to make it whole. I'm on the home stretch.

Why am I emailing this community? I pulled out some old slides of his car while he was in service and I see some stickers on his car.

YES all of this to ask anyone in USCG or anyone in California.... Can you help me identify any of these USCG items so that I can create as close to the original as possible?

I have put years and $$ in to this.. and I am determined to get every piece i can think of back to that era for my father.

Can anyone help me identify these stickers that I believe were part of his base/housing in Bodega Bay? What are they, do they have meaning? Are they important? Are they significant? Does it mean nothing and I should not care? 

This is my first post here i'm going to try and figure out how to upload the pictures I found from those times.

atsig411

--
    19 Sep 2018 10:24 PM
    I have tried everything i can't figure out how to upload a picture. will try again tomorrow.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    20 Sep 2018 04:27 AM
    Go to add reply which takes you to a new page. Look under the post and it says add attachment.
    atsig411

--
    20 Sep 2018 04:49 PM
    I see how to reply, add image, add image attachment, I go to submit, and nothing ends up on this page/forum. Maybe since I am a new member I can not upload images? I don't get it I have tried and tried.
    atsig411

--
    20 Sep 2018 05:06 PM
    I have tried everything. Don't know what else to do. I see the image places on the window before submitting, I click submit, the page goes "blank" and nothing was uploaded. I have to quit trying I'll attempt again later.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    20 Sep 2018 06:16 PM
    Weird. Looks like it worked for me, must be a new member thing like you said.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    20 Sep 2018 06:17 PM
    Posted By atsig411 on 20 Sep 2018 06:06 PM
    I have tried everything. Don't know what else to do. I see the image places on the window before submitting, I click submit, the page goes "blank" and nothing was uploaded. I have to quit trying I'll attempt again later.

Ok I might know why. Once you add the image and before you hit submit, hit INSERT IMAGE. That should add the image right there to your post before you hit submit and you should see it. Try that out.
    MastersMate

--
    20 Sep 2018 06:40 PM
    From the very late 1960s, if the sticker is on the left front bumper, it may well be a base/housing area sticker. It would be about 3" x 6" with the CG racing stripe on the left side and Coast Guard above and Base XXX just below that. There may be a vertical narrow sticker that has Enlisted printed on it
    atsig411

--
    20 Sep 2018 08:24 PM
    YES YES YES YES MasterMate i think that is it.. I NEED to figure this out. I am going to try again I gave up out of frustration.

stealthtt24
    I add the image by clicking insert image, then I see the image in the body of the forum, then I submit and it didn't work. I'm going to try and try again.
    atsig411

--
    20 Sep 2018 08:25 PM

iiii

atsig411

--
    20 Sep 2018 08:25 PM
    I freakin' got it
    atsig411

--
    20 Sep 2018 08:28 PM
    xx

atsig411

--
    20 Sep 2018 08:28 PM
    xx

atsig411

--
    20 Sep 2018 08:29 PM
    There is a sticker on the window
    atsig411

--
    20 Sep 2018 08:29 PM
    xx

atsig411

--
    20 Sep 2018 08:34 PM
    xx
    atsig411

--
    20 Sep 2018 08:46 PM
    If anyone can tell me if these stickers are important? I may very well not get it exact, but if I get the meaning across it will go a long way. Are these still required today and if so may be easily available? Is it traditional or important in any way? Are they reproducible in any way?

Is it meaningless to a USCG vet so I shouldn't care?

Thank you for those that are helping me. I hope I have not interrupted your community with this extremely less important question.

MastersMate

--
    20 Sep 2018 09:18 PM
    They were issued by the different bases to allow on base access for private vehicles. Usually had to provide a valid registration and proof of car insurance. That MIGHT even be issued from another service.. WHO had a big base in the northern SF bay area.. Might be one of theirs if he wanted access to the base. Interesting view of the superstructure of a 95' CG patrol boat inn the background.. The right vent window is just a generic CG seal sticker..
    atsig411

--
    20 Sep 2018 09:23 PM
    xx
    MastersMate

--
    20 Sep 2018 09:52 PM
    A replica of a late 1960s base sticker..

MastersMate

--
    20 Sep 2018 10:04 PM

Replica

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    23 Sep 2018 06:15 AM
    I just love that you're doing this for your dad. What an amazing gift! Good luck with it all. You might need to go someplace to her a replica sticker made to look like that. It is amazing what can be done today. The one on the window just looks like a CG sticker. Those can be bought anywhere.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    23 Sep 2018 06:40 AM
    Just a thought, and I'm sure you can get others opinions on here but I used to hate having to put stickers on my cars to get into base. I'm so glad we don't do that anymore. I know your goal is to make the car exactly like it was when he had it and I'm sure you're dad will be excited no matter, but if it was me, I would rather have my old, rare car without the stickers on the bumper.
    Maybe you could get the sticker and throw it in an envelope for him to put on if he wants? Or I could be completely wrong and maybe he would prefer it back on there?
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    24 Sep 2018 11:45 AM
    A couple of points:

As mkelly noted, Those stickers were not something we wanted on the car. ESPECIALLY, on a classic car like that.

Many installations started having personnel take stickers off of their car as they were a liability. It made people targets. At best, military members were having their cars vandalized. At worst they were targets for the bad guys. So it may not be best to have one on now.

Finally, not one to try and split hairs but, that sticker is considered a government document. I know the intent is not there and it is most likely one would never try to go on base with it but, it could be considered a bad thing having a copy of those stickers on your car.
    atsig411

--
    08 Oct 2018 10:08 PM
    Thank you all.

I got out of this what I really wanted to understand. I wanted to know if this was something of importance. I guess it wasn't.

I still want to get something on the vehicle that will be of significance to the time period. I'll work on some ideas. I will definitely get that sticker in the side window.

If any of you have ideas for me please let me know.

Again, sorry for disrupting your community but your feedback was very very very helpful.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement