Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
CS Reserves
Last Post 27 Sep 2018 01:58 AM by ACWest. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Kcoco3

--
26 Sep 2018 08:56 AM
    Hello, looking for some information about being a CS in the Reserves. I'm in the beginning process with a recruiter and hoping to get some more specifics from someone with the rate in the reserves. 

From what I've read, weekend drills, depending on your commander, can be flexible with your life/ family outside of the reserves. How true is this?

I'm aware it sounds silly since this is the Coast Guard, but are CS reservists ever on a boat during drills or mostly on the base cooking?

As for being deployed, I've read for Reserves it's mostly if you would like to volunteer and deploy, not necessarily being told to go. How true is this?

Also for the 2 week AT are CS reservist going to be put on a boat or stay on the base and cook?

Do CS Reservist get a bonus when resigning contracts?

Thank you for your time, look forward to hearing from a CS Reservist, if their  are any out there. 

ACWest

--
    26 Sep 2018 11:19 AM
    In my twenty-five years as a reservist, I had never heard of CS billets in the reserves. That doesn't mean they don't exist, but if they do, I was never aware of them.

From what I've read, weekend drills, depending on your commander, can be flexible with your life/ family outside of the reserves. How true is this? As you said, it depends on the billet and your command. Don't count on being to drill when you please. Plan on being given a schedule and expected to adhere to it.

As for being deployed, I've read for Reserves it's mostly if you would like to volunteer and deploy, not necessarily being told to go. How true is this? You should expect to receive involuntary orders at some point in your career. My last set of Title X orders started off as 30 days, and ended up being two years..all involuntary.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    26 Sep 2018 01:39 PM
    Posted By ACWest on 26 Sep 2018 12:19 PM
    In my twenty-five years as a reservist, I had never heard of CS billets in the reserves. That doesn't mean they don't exist, but if they do, I was never aware of them.

From what I've read, weekend drills, depending on your commander, can be flexible with your life/ family outside of the reserves. How true is this? As you said, it depends on the billet and your command. Don't count on being to drill when you please. Plan on being given a schedule and expected to adhere to it.

As for being deployed, I've read for Reserves it's mostly if you would like to volunteer and deploy, not necessarily being told to go. How true is this? You should expect to receive involuntary orders at some point in your career. My last set of Title X orders started off as 30 days, and ended up being two years..all involuntary.

There's plenty of CS billets in the Reserve. PSU's have them. Base galleys also do (at least Base San Pedro does) For the OP, you will not be getting underway on a cutter for your two weeks active duty. It would be a logistical headache to get you out to a cutter in the middle of it's patrol, only to have to come back for you two weeks later. And really, what benefit would that be for you or the crew? As for involuntary recalls, I agree completely with ACWest. Count on getting them at least once in your career. Of the five times I was recalled in the past 17 years, three of them were involuntary.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Kcoco3

--
    26 Sep 2018 04:33 PM
    Thank you for the responses! What are both of your rates?

Also, how much notice did they give you before being deployed?

Did you enjoy your time as a Reservist?

Thanks!
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    26 Sep 2018 08:08 PM
    Posted By Kcoco3 on 26 Sep 2018 05:33 PM
    Thank you for the responses! What are both of your rates?

Also, how much notice did they give you before being deployed?

Did you enjoy your time as a Reservist?

Thanks!

I am an IV, assigned to CGIS Detachment Los Angeles-Long Beach.  I think I had, on average,  3 weeks notice (might have been more). I am still in the CGR.  I'll retire October 2019, with 18 years plus 2 in the Army Reserve, which will give me my 20 years.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    ACWest

--
    27 Sep 2018 01:58 AM
    Thanks CPOJM.  I wasn't aware that there were CS reserve billets.  I'm glad to know that I can still learn something new nearly every day.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement