Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Boot Camp in January
Last Post 14 Oct 2018 05:24 AM by militaryjourneymen. 11 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
mlcarroll

--
29 Sep 2018 11:19 AM
    Waiting on the official word, but I will most likely be shipping out in January. I've attempted to research what boot camp is like during the winter months, but have had no such luck. Any pointers on what to expect? What does the physical aspect look like during the winter (As in, do we do PT inside or outside)? Any pointers from other females out there?
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    30 Sep 2018 07:25 AM
    Boot camp in the winter months is cold. They give you plenty of gear to stay warm but it is still cold. When I was there it snowed a lot and I think there was a blizzard. That probably won't happen. We did PT outside and inside. Outside the ground was freezing and it was cold, inside it was hot and I would soak through my uniform. I think I preferred PT outside in the cold. We couldn't run for a good amount time because it was too cold but we did plenty of exercises inside and out. I'm not a female so I cant really give you any pointers in that category. Sorry.
    militaryjourneymen

--
    30 Sep 2018 08:49 AM
    Bootcamp I personally believe is better in the winter. You do not have to deal with the extreme heat of summer or mosquitoes in spring.

You do a lot of PT in the buildings and in the gym instead of outside.

Expect some differences as opposed to the other months such as snow shoveling duty, less group runs, maybe no Confidence course, and less running more cycling....lots and lots of cycling.

-Julian
    mlcarroll

--
    30 Sep 2018 07:25 PM
    Thanks so much guys! I noticed its said to have a pair of navy long underwear. Are there any brands you would recommend for this? Or am I better to wait and get a pair at base?
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    01 Oct 2018 08:17 AM
    I don't think you will need a pair of long underwear. It is really warm inside and you don't spend too much time outside. When you are outside, you'll have Gortex on over your ODU and you will typically be moving somewhere at a good pace working hard. I sweated through my ODU many times while we were being incentive trained multiple times.
    I also agree that boot camp in the winter is a lot better than in the summer.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    01 Oct 2018 02:34 PM
    my son also was in Cape May with a January start date. We are from NJ but that happened to be a really cold and extremely snowy winter. He shoveled....A LOT!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    02 Oct 2018 11:35 AM
    My son started boot camp with a February start date. It was cold but not terrible. I don't remember even once his company doing snow shovel detail, must have been a milder winter. It was 10 years ago, who remembers. He graduated in April and was the 1st class that year to be outdoors instead of indoors for graduation. The weather was perfect then and the pictures were outstanding! Winter is always better than summer! Remember it is a lot easier to put a layer on and warm up (not too many layers, you will got too hot with all the incentive training) then it is to strip naked and run around base. That will certainly not get you into the fleet! LOL
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    mlcarroll

--
    02 Oct 2018 07:38 PM
    Thank you so much for this knowledge! I appreciate it!
    jjapanese

--
    10 Oct 2018 06:06 PM
    militaryjourneymen

--
    10 Oct 2018 06:08 PM
    Hey there Mlcarroll, I actually went in January - March.

Thought I would share my experience as that's a really good question.
    You can check out my video on YouTube :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppb9OMPhW60&lc=UgwE6lzKGS7esOXSBnt4AaABAg
    mlcarroll

--
    13 Oct 2018 06:18 PM
    I just watched it and found it so useful! I also subscribed to your channel! Looking to learn as much as I can from those who have been through it.
    militaryjourneymen

--
    14 Oct 2018 05:24 AM
    Glad you found it useful and thanks for subscribing :-) Great question! If you have any more feel free to ask.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement