Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Given the run around?
Last Post 22 Oct 2018 08:23 PM by cliffordthebigreddog. 2 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
cliffordthebigreddog

--
22 Oct 2018 03:15 PM
    So I have transferred from the USCG recruiters office in Detroit, Michigan to the Recruiters in New Jersey/Pennsylvania, since  I have moved from Michigan to New Jersey. I was with the recruiters in Michigan from January 10, 2018 to August 28, 2018. While in Michigan I was given a CTP to go to MEPs but was temporarily DQed for weight at MEPs. I said Im moving to NJ and that I would like to transfer everything to there and my recruiter said he will contact the recruiter here in Philly and get everything moved over and everything will continue here. He said the transfer should take around 4 weeks. Ive been in Jersey for about 3 months now and have spoken to my recruiter in philly numerous times and and he knows my situation about paperwork, the CTP and so on. I was told about 3 weeks ago that the waiver would not need to be re-submitted and that it will come to us from the MEPs in Detroit to the MEPs here. As of today (3 months past initial transfer) my recruiter in Philly has told me he has still not received any of my paperwork and that the waiver is up in the air now and he's not even sure ill get the waiver here. Everything that was said to me in the past 3 months has changed to something totally different. I understand things in the military change, but I feel like I'm getting the run around with this new office that I have never experienced at the office in Detroit. Its been 9 months, since I have first spoken to a recruiter and now I feel that I am back to the where I started back in January. Is this normal for a recruiting experience?
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    22 Oct 2018 07:31 PM
    I have a couple of things that come to my head when I read this. Your timeline was a bit hard to follow but those things(waivers) take time.
    There is one Doc to review and grant waivers in the Coast Guard. I know it seems like there would be more, but its just the one. That stuff takes time. On top of the waiver taking time, it is going to be sent back to the wrong place and have to be forwarded.

The second major thing that I'm thinking of is why you were Dq'd. Basically you had a job interview and you failed it. You should have known the requirements. If you didn't know that you were close, then the recruiter failed you. If you did know the requirements, you are 100% at the mercy of the system and nobody has to do you any favors. They have recruits that don't need waivers and that are meeting the requirements. Thats not saying the recruiters are dragging their feet on you, its just saying that they may have recruits that they aren't waiting on a waver for. In my mind, there are some things that should not be failed going into the recruiting process. Weight standards, PT tests, required knowledge....show up on time. Simple. Being in the military is about getting the simple things right.

I would look at the situation like this: you are lucky they are giving you a second chance after you let them down once. Stick with it and show them you are doing everything it takes to get back to where you need to be. If you are not willing to be patient then maybe the job isn't for you. If you are willing, I don't think you can have a better job than the Coast Guard.

I don't think they are giving you the run around. There is no need for that. If they didn't want to keep you around, they would probably just say it. Its a larger waste of their time to lead you on. They could say "you're done" and be done with you. Sometimes things just take time. Hurry up and wait is something you'll hear a lot if you make it in. Feel free to ask any more questions you may have.
    cliffordthebigreddog

--
    22 Oct 2018 08:23 PM
    Posted By mkelly on 22 Oct 2018 08:31 PM
    I have a couple of things that come to my head when I read this. Your timeline was a bit hard to follow but those things(waivers) take time.
    There is one Doc to review and grant waivers in the Coast Guard. I know it seems like there would be more, but its just the one. That stuff takes time. On top of the waiver taking time, it is going to be sent back to the wrong place and have to be forwarded.

The second major thing that I'm thinking of is why you were Dq'd. Basically you had a job interview and you failed it. You should have known the requirements. If you didn't know that you were close, then the recruiter failed you. If you did know the requirements, you are 100% at the mercy of the system and nobody has to do you any favors. They have recruits that don't need waivers and that are meeting the requirements. Thats not saying the recruiters are dragging their feet on you, its just saying that they may have recruits that they aren't waiting on a waver for. In my mind, there are some things that should not be failed going into the recruiting process. Weight standards, PT tests, required knowledge....show up on time. Simple. Being in the military is about getting the simple things right.

I would look at the situation like this: you are lucky they are giving you a second chance after you let them down once. Stick with it and show them you are doing everything it takes to get back to where you need to be. If you are not willing to be patient then maybe the job isn't for you. If you are willing, I don't think you can have a better job than the Coast Guard.

I don't think they are giving you the run around. There is no need for that. If they didn't want to keep you around, they would probably just say it. Its a larger waste of their time to lead you on. They could say "you're done" and be done with you. Sometimes things just take time. Hurry up and wait is something you'll hear a lot if you make it in. Feel free to ask any more questions you may have.

The DQ at meps was because of a 10lbs overweight problem. I was weighed and then BMIed and was given the thumbs up prior to my trip to MEPs. I was well aware of the standards and in my head was 100% sure I was going to pass it. I don't want to ruin my second chance so I am making sure I go in with no doubt of passing. I am more then willing to wait. I know everything takes time and nothing you're saying is much of a surprise. The hurry up an wait is the best way to put it. The coast guard is the only thing I've ever wanted and its not the waiting that I have a problem with or the time it takes. I just found it weird that everything was in place and all of a sudden it wasn't. I would hope they wouldn't give me the run around. Im hoping I can make this happen and I plan on doing everything in my power to do so. Thank you for your input.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement