Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Leave and Pay for DOD transfers?
Last Post 09 Nov 2018 12:42 AM by Simple1. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Simple1

--
31 Oct 2018 02:25 PM
    Does anybody know if you transfer from another service if you have the option of selling your leave back?  Not sure about the rules since you’re going DOD to DHS, and the goal would be to join the Coast Guard without a break in service. Initially I was hoping to transfer my leave days with me, but honestly, I just don’t take leave very often and cashing out at my current payrate given the paycut and potential pay issues starting out, it could be very helpful.  

Additionally, I think I found my answer in the CG pay manual, but wanted to see if anybody had experience. I was not ROTC, but the program I did allowed me to go to OCS during my college summers. My PEBD started when I went to OCS, but I didn’t finish college for another 3 yrs. Will I get to keep my original PEBD, or will I have to use my original commissioning date?
    Ashton23

--
    08 Nov 2018 10:20 AM
    I transferred from DOD, and was told that I had to sell my leave back and that I couldn't transfer it because USCG is DHS. Well that was not true and fortunately I never received my leave pay out of 50 days as a E6. It was a nice chunk of change but here is the kicker, you can only sell back 60 days throughout your career. So for whatever reason if I have to sell leave back in the future I would only be eligible to sell 10 additional days for 60 total.

I was able to get it transferred over after many months of trying. This was two years ago and I still have 50+ days of leave.

So in summary, to answer your question. YES, you can sell the leave back. Although its not recommended, because you can sell it back later and your career at a higher rank for a bigger payout. If you need the cash for housing or something else, you can always do 3 months of advance on BAH or Advance Pay and keep the leave. If you are going to sell it back, give your payroll your anticipated separation date so they can stop your pay correctly. I separated on the 10th after payroll was already submitted , and as a result I was paid for the entire pay period of 1-15th. So instead of subtracting the 5 days of pay from my 50 days of leave. It flagged my account as a debt, hold. So they never pay my 50 days of leave because of a $450 debt. So if you're going sell it back, make sure you have all of those t's crossed and I's dotted. Hope this helps.

Simple1

--
    08 Nov 2018 03:00 PM
    Awesome, thanks for taking the time to reply. I’m getting out as an O4 and going back to an O2. If I finish my time out in the Coast Guard, I may or may not make it back to O-4, so it’s kind of a wash for me. And it would go a long way I’m setting us up wherever we go. Thanks!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Andisoss

--
    08 Nov 2018 08:10 PM
    I’m getting out as an O4 and going back to an O2. If I finish my time out in the Coast Guard, I may or may not make it back to O-4, so it’s kind of a wash for me. And it would go a long way I’m setting us up wherever we go. Thanks!

Welcome to the Wardroom! (Officers Mess). I hope we don't you down! I have never met a single person who came over from a different branch and not love the Coast Guard. We are extremely family oriented compared to the other branches. Do you have orders yet?

As for dropping down to O2, at least you still get your "High 3" when you retire...

If you want to make O4 in the Coast Guard, having an MA/MS is pretty important. I have seen many great O3s passed up for that reason. I highly recommend that you start looking into an online program once you get settled in and qualified. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Simple1

--
    09 Nov 2018 12:42 AM
    Thanks, Brother. I'm super pumped for this new opportunity! And thats good info, I definitely will look into that.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement