Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
How long does it take to get into/prerequisites for DSF units (MSST, TACLET)
Last Post 09 Nov 2018 08:29 AM by Gears. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
LightBringer

--
31 Oct 2018 07:02 PM
    I have become very interested in joining the CG because of these groups. However, after doing some research it seems that it takes at least a couple of years to get in, if you're lucky enough to ever get the opportunity.  Though I'm willing to give 100% mental and physical effort to do whatever it would take, it seems like I should maybe not get my hopes up since I'm not too interested otherwise.  I'm getting older, 26 years old, so I know my time is running out to start fresh on this.  Its not like you can just enlist and then say that you want to join a DSF group, and be given the opportunity right?  Anything I could do to increase my chances?

(I should have probably posted this to Coast Guard Units section, sorry)
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    01 Nov 2018 06:07 AM
    First thing is first, you have to be eligible to join the CG, successfully navigate boot camp, and after completing a successful tour as a nonrate, go to "A" school, which can take anywhere from 1 to 2 years.. then you can start thinking about MSST and TACLET.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    LightBringer

--
    01 Nov 2018 08:14 PM
    Posted By Gears on 01 Nov 2018 07:07 AM
    First thing is first, you have to be eligible to join the CG, successfully navigate boot camp, and after completing a successful tour as a nonrate, go to "A" school, which can take anywhere from 1 to 2 years.. then you can start thinking about MSST and TACLET.

Thank you for the response, but, I'm not trying to skip any steps.  I just want to know if my goals are actually achievable.

What you're saying is that, after a four year tour, I can then go to "A" school, which will take me 1-2 years, and from there I can "start thinking about MSST and TACLET"...which I assume you mean, after completing those two prior steps, I would be eligible to apply for a DSF position, IF one is available?  Is the DSF the sort of thing you can sign up for if you're qualified, or is it the kind of thing where, even if you are very qualified, there might not be an opening for a couple of years?  In 5 years, I'll be 31....so I think I should probably not waste my time.
    ACWest

--
    02 Nov 2018 05:05 AM
    Posted By LightBringer on 31 Oct 2018 08:02 PM
    ...it seems like I should maybe not get my hopes up since I'm not too interested otherwise.   

This would have me a bit concerned.  I respectfully recommend that you think long and hard about how you would feel and what you would do if you are accepted into the USCG, you successfully complete boot camp, you graduate from the A School of your choice, and then for what ever reason, you do not get a DSF billet suited to your interests.  Also, keep in mind that there are no permanent assignments.  Say you get a tour at TACLET.  That'll be three years that suit you interests, but after that, there's no telling where you will end up.

Don't be that guy who ends up in a billet that he doesn't like, then whines "I didn't join to do this!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    02 Nov 2018 06:10 AM
    Your timeline is incorrect. You go to boot camp, go to your first unit, wait anywhere from 1 to 4 years to attend ME A school depending on the wait list time, then from there you may or may not get selected to go to a DSF unit. MSST is not dsf and is in the regular picks.

If you do not go to a dsf/msst unit your first tour, you may try again when your tour is up. Make sense?
    LightBringer

--
    02 Nov 2018 10:47 AM
    Posted By stealthtt24 on 02 Nov 2018 07:10 AM
    Your timeline is incorrect. You go to boot camp, go to your first unit, wait anywhere from 1 to 4 years to attend ME A school depending on the wait list time, then from there you may or may not get selected to go to a DSF unit. MSST is not dsf and is in the regular picks.

If you do not go to a dsf/msst unit your first tour, you may try again when your tour is up. Make sense?

Yes, very clear.  I appreciate it.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    02 Nov 2018 01:14 PM
    No problem. Any questions just ask. Current ME.
    phxcoastie

--
    04 Nov 2018 02:21 AM
    I'm getting older, 26 years old, so I know my time is running out to start fresh on this.

Hahah ok. 26 is getting old? For what, frat parties? Dude, the average age for DSF operators is well over 30. My good friend, and Army CPT, just went thru Ranger school at 34. I went thru all my AUF training at 31-33 years old, and there were older guys. Some of the older LTs, CWOs, CPOs and whatnot who are going into DSF for the first time are over 40. I had plenty of friends who came in the CG around 27-28, then went on to do initial LE training well into their 30s. You're in your prime and you're still a youngin', enjoy the opportunities ahead!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    06 Nov 2018 06:27 AM
    What you're saying is that, after a four year tour, I can then go to "A" school

No. You're looking at 1 to 2 years before you'll be eligible for an "A" school. From there you MIGHT have the opportunity to be assigned to a DSF unit if there's an opening. You might get assigned to a general duty unit or a cutter. It's impossible to tell you the odds or what your career path might be because they're all unique.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    06 Nov 2018 08:56 AM
    Posted By Gears on 06 Nov 2018 07:27 AM
    What you're saying is that, after a four year tour, I can then go to "A" school

No. You're looking at 1 to 2 years before you'll be eligible for an "A" school. From there you MIGHT have the opportunity to be assigned to a DSF unit if there's an opening. You might get assigned to a general duty unit or a cutter. It's impossible to tell you the odds or what your career path might be because they're all unique.

As a side note, with the ME A School list closed for the last six months, I'm imagining that the wait will be significantly longer than 1-2 years once it finally reopens
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    09 Nov 2018 08:29 AM
    That's good info RJM, I don't spend much time looking at A school lists these days.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement