Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Questions for a recent DCE graduate
Last Post 21 Mar 2019 11:55 AM by thecoastismine. 17 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
MegaOhm

--
01 Nov 2018 09:14 AM
    Are there any recently graduated DCE officers who are willing to answer some questions? The acceptance list just came out, and I'm sure I'm not the only person on the list who has questions.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Andisoss

--
    08 Nov 2018 07:11 PM
    Define "recent". I may be able to help you out.
    hessamoddin

--
    15 Feb 2019 10:32 PM
    I am 3 years into my commission via DCE. My recommendation is you post your questions here anyway and hence remove one barrier to the potential Q&A.
    MegaOhm

--
    26 Feb 2019 08:03 AM
    There can be good reason to ask questions privately. But generally, what is DCO like? We've all heard about how strict OCS is, but I haven't heard much about what to actually expect from DCO. Is it more of a training/classroom setting, with daily liberty (such as A school, for instance), or more of an indoc (such as basic)? How soon will we undergo the pt test, and if we fail, are there additional chances?
    kirkaland

--
    26 Feb 2019 01:12 PM
    About to finish up DCO this week.

It's very lax definitely not an indoc type environment. Classes 8-4 each day generally with some exceptions. PT test is the 3rd day you're here. (first Monday). We had a couple people not pass and they retested (several times) until they passed.

That said the course is constantly changing so your mileage may vary.
    thecoastismine

--
    26 Feb 2019 07:35 PM
    by the time that the detailer contacted you, were there still some good picks available?  did you end up getting the unit/location that you wanted?
    MegaOhm

--
    27 Feb 2019 08:18 AM
    Thanks, kirkaland! I'm on a work out plan to improve my speed, but I'm still a little slow. I have time until I go, but it's reassuring to know we have multiple attempts. What happens if you just don't pass?
    kirkaland

--
    27 Feb 2019 11:04 AM
    Posted By MegaOhm on 27 Feb 2019 09:18 AM
    Thanks, kirkaland! I'm on a work out plan to improve my speed, but I'm still a little slow. I have time until I go, but it's reassuring to know we have multiple attempts. What happens if you just don't pass?

I've only heard rumors from previous classes. Bottom line is you already have your commission when you show up here. They can give you a negative page 7 but it's up to your unit to file it in your permanent record. The nice thing about this PFT is you don't have to score a minimum score in each event as long as your combined score is 180 or greater. Most people in my class made money on the push ups and sit ups and came in a little slow on the run.
    Simple1

--
    28 Feb 2019 04:44 PM
    Thanks Kirkland!  How did your commission timeline go from your oath on? I’m getting out of my service the day before I take my oath for the Coast Guard.  From your commissioning day, is it just X amount of authorized travel days to get to your unit where you check in and hang out until you report to DCO school?  Also do you know how long the your helo transition course is?  Trying to figure out about how long I can expect to be gone from my family once the DCO course pain train starts. 

kirkaland

--
    01 Mar 2019 09:44 AM
    Posted By Simple1 on 28 Feb 2019 05:44 PM
    Thanks Kirkland!  How did your commission timeline go from your oath on? I’m getting out of my service the day before I take my oath for the Coast Guard.  From your commissioning day, is it just X amount of authorized travel days to get to your unit where you check in and hang out until you report to DCO school?  Also do you know how long the your helo transition course is?  Trying to figure out about how long I can expect to be gone from my family once the DCO course pain train starts. 

Basically yeah. You get 3 or 4 days of proceed time from commissioning then however many travel days based on distance between where you are now and your new unit. Check in at your unit and do some admin stuff/get settled until your DCO course (for us we commissioned on 12 Dec and reported to DCO on 24 Jan)  My helo transition course is going to be in April/May so about a month back at home and then that.
    Sligo63

--
    03 Mar 2019 07:47 AM
    Hello Kirkland

Just wondering how many alternates are in your DCO class. I was picked as an alternate for Dec Margrad board.

Thanks
    kirkaland

--
    04 Mar 2019 04:05 PM
    Posted By Sligo63 on 03 Mar 2019 08:47 AM
    Hello Kirkland

Just wondering how many alternates are in your DCO class. I was picked as an alternate for Dec Margrad board.

Thanks

Don't know the exact number but it's a fair few. 5-10 at least.
    valover

--
    17 Mar 2019 10:36 AM
    Has anyone heard from the detailer ? I’m starting to think he forgot about us. Also does anyone know if our families move with us when we initially report to our new unit or do they have to wait until after we come back from DCO school?
    kirkaland

--
    17 Mar 2019 03:13 PM
    Posted By valover on 17 Mar 2019 11:36 AM
    Has anyone heard from the detailer ? I’m starting to think he forgot about us. Also does anyone know if our families move with us when we initially report to our new unit or do they have to wait until after we come back from DCO school?

Reach out to the detailer if you want but they're probably swamped dealing with transfer season right now. 

Yes your family moves with you
    MegaOhm

--
    17 Mar 2019 06:00 PM
    Haven't heard from the detailer, but I saw a message that pushed the O-3 and below assignment deadlines back a week, so they aren't due until March 29 now. Hopefully that means we hear something next week.
    thecoastismine

--
    20 Mar 2019 06:11 AM
    I received an email from the AO on Monday 18 March 2019.  He's not available to speak with me about assignments until 09 April.  So much for getting assignments in by 29 March.

I'm going to DCO 29 May.
    valover

--
    21 Mar 2019 06:22 AM
    Did you receive your picks in that email? If so, are you supposed to hold on to them until April 9th? I assumed we would have official orders by the first week of April since we are getting closer to our commission date.
    thecoastismine

--
    21 Mar 2019 11:55 AM
    No picks have been received.  I assume I'll get them on that day. I thought the train would move quicker as well but I'm along for the ride either way.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement