So I've been at my unit for over a year now and I was finally in the steps of getting my name onto an A school list. Some new chiefs came in and have been helping me along with the process and while I found out that my security clearance investigation (which i started with my recruiter) had never gone forward past boot camp I was at least happy that it was moving along. I've also been dating a foreign national who is currently studying here in the U.S. She's from Taiwan and I'm aware of the difficulties of having a relationship with a foreigner. I knew the risks but I assumed that since the United States and Taiwan are allies that it would just delay it at most. Sadly, I was informed two days ago as of writing this that because of my relationship with her I can currently not put my name on the A school list. They classified her country as a "high threat country" and called it an unmitigatible risk. I told my command and they are looking into see if there's anything that can be done, but so far it seems like my only options are to break up with her or choose a different school to go to. The only other school that seriously interests me is IT, but that's not what I went to college to study for. I won't mention the A school but I'm sure anyone familiar with this can probably guess. I talked to my parents and my Dad, who is former Army and really plugged in with the kind of work I want to do, just advised me to wait and see which is what I'm doing.
To put this in perspective we just had our 1-year anniversary as a couple and Christmas is right around the corner. She's going to go see her family for winter break and I'm going to be mostly underway for the next several months so we're going to not be seeing each other for a while and I don't want this hanging over us. She's already met my entire family and everyone loves her and she's one of the kindest people i know. She puts up with all my shit and I can't imagine that girls like this are very common. I've already told her and she's obviously freaking out.
My question is is there any other option I can take aside from breaking up with her to still get to where I want to go? I mean, I gave them all the information I could on her and they only had about 4-5 days to look into it max assuming they looked at her immediately. Is there any chance they didnt examine her thoroughly? I was already interviewed by an investigator for my security clearance back in May so I don't know if that does anything. Apparently this is only for the A school I want to go to and doesn't have anything to do with my security clearance investigation, which I need. So please, is there anything I can do to salvage this? I'm already considering ending our relationship once I find out all the information I can and I feel like a piece of shit for thinking it.