Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
504 Plan Waiver?
Last Post 13 Dec 2018 03:06 PM by cliffordthebigreddog. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
jpl

--
30 Nov 2018 08:25 AM
    During middle school a 504 plan was put into place in case I needed extra time for tests due to ADHD. This plan automatically carried over through out high school. Even though I had this on file, I never used it. I've now been out of high school for over 2 years. I graduated with my AA college degree with a 3.5 GPA in May, and I did not have a similar plan in place for college. In June I decided I wanted to join the CG and started working the process, which has been very painful since I checked the ADHD box on my application. Yesterday my recruiter said I was automatically disqualified because of the 504 plan and no waivers were possible. Is this true? Why isn't my college performance being considered? Thank you.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    01 Dec 2018 09:38 AM
    Not to take anything away from a 3.5 GPA, but there's a world of difference between being able to perform in an academic environment and the high stress situations you may find yourself in while in the CG.  If you're on meds for your ADHD, this is another issue.  You wouldn't want to be on an hours long SAR (search and rescue) mission, only to have your medication wear off, or on a 90 day patrol, only to find out you only have 60 days worth of meds.  

My son was diagnosed with ADHD at 8 years old.  He's now a college sophomore, studying computer science.  We had a 504 in place for him in high school, but he chose not to use it. In my opinion the 504 is a double edged sword.  While it's helpful in the academic world, it's not practical or realistic in the real world. That's especially true in the military
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    jpl

--
    03 Dec 2018 06:23 AM
    Thanks for the reply. I have been off all meds for 3 years with no issues. My puzzlement comes from the recruiter that said I'm not allowed to request a waiver. All USCG and DoD instructions that we can find indicate that I am allowed to request a waiver --- whether of not the waiver is approved is an entirely different matter.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    03 Dec 2018 07:56 AM
    Are you off your meds at the direction of the doctor or simply you decided you were done? That will make a difference as well. As for the waiver, that is up to the recruiter. They aren't required to ask for one. I'm not sure if a 504 plan automatically DQ's someone with no chance at waiver.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    jpl

--
    03 Dec 2018 08:08 AM
    WRT meds....it was a joint decision by me and my doctor. According to DODI 6103.03, having a 504 plan in place after the age of 14 is a DQ item. BUT, para 1.2.d in this same instruction says anyone who doesn't meet the standards can be considered for a waiver. I am now 21 and it is so frustrating that something put in place "just in case" in middle school (and automatically carried over through high school) is going to prevent me from joining the CG.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    03 Dec 2018 08:28 AM
    As Chief stated, it is very much a double edged sword.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    cliffordthebigreddog

--
    13 Dec 2018 03:06 PM
    I to had a 504 plan put in place in middle school which carried over to high school. I never used it. Same boat as you. I had told my recruiter about it and provided him with all documentation that I was provided with. My doctor took me off meds my freshman year of high school and have been off it since then (2011-present day).  Although a waiver wasn't an option for me, my recruiter said to obtain a letter from all my past high school teachers stating I had the 504 plan and did not use it (because i did not use it). It was a painful process and took a long time, but after a couple weeks I got the letters, sent them to my recruiter and went from there. Now if were being honest, I have no idea what he did or how he did it but the next thing I knew I had a MEPs date. I had received a CTP for another problem  I had as a kid and we went from there. My ADHD was never mentioned again until I was at MEPs a few weeks later when the doctor there had questioned me on it. I told him the truth, he scribbled something on his paper and it was never mentioned again and It hasn't posed a problem yet. That was 6 months ago. 
    Long story short, work with your recruiter and provide all documentation you possibly can for him to help you. I was told the same thing you were and I was in the same boat as you are as well and Ive gotten this far in the process. Don't give up. 
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement