Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Joining Time
Last Post 09 Dec 2018 07:16 PM by KayleighA. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
KayleighA

--
05 Dec 2018 11:10 AM
    I've been reading up a lot about the Coast Guard in the past few months and I made the decision to join it instead of the Air Force. I'm 17, and so far I've taken all the steps I can to start my application process, but I live in a state where there are no Coast Guard recruiter stations. I put in my application today, but after reading a few threads throughout the internet, I'm slightly worried.

I want to join after I graduate from High School in May, but everything I've read says that it can take 6 months to 2 years to get in. As of now, I have about 5 months before graduation. Do recruiters look at younger applicants (such as high school students wanting to go in right after graduation) or is it just looking at them as they come in. Also, how long does it usually take for a recruiter to get back to you?

As a note, I'll be 18 in March and I'm in pretty much perfect health and nothing major medical record wise other than a few virus' lol.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    05 Dec 2018 04:17 PM
    Start the application process now. If you finish all the necessary steps prior to HS graduation, you can have your recruiter get you into boot camp right after you graduate. I'm not sure where you're seeing that it takes two years to get into the CG. That seems extreme. I would guess and say you read something, somewhere from someone who had multiple issues they had to overcome before being able to enlist. If all goes well for you, 90 days from the start of the enlistment process to the day you ship to boot camp, is doable. Again, once you've completed the enlistment process, you can have your recruiter select a boot camp date that works for you.

Since there are so few CG recruiting offices, they often have to cover multiple states. As a result, the recruiters can be very busy. All this to say, once you make contact with a recruiter, check in with them once a week or every 10 days or so. That way your name stays fresh in their minds. This is especially important if you're going to have limited face to face contact dut to geography.

Good luck!
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    06 Dec 2018 07:37 AM
    You will need your parent/guardian permission to start the process now. Once you turn 18 that is no longer needed. Do you know how far it is your nearest recruiting office?
    KayleighA

--
    06 Dec 2018 03:19 PM
    Thank you CORJM!

@Auxnoob my closest recruiting station is about 4 hours away. I'm in Southern WV, and Greensboro is the closest for me. I figured I would get the parent permission if they contacted me back and wanted to see me in their office since I applied online
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    07 Dec 2018 08:42 AM
    When did you fill out the application? Be sure to follow up with a phone call. Nothing says lack of interest like here's my application, call me if you want me, I can't be bothered to follow up with you. You might not ever go to the recruiting office. There are a few people on this forum that never met their recruiter face to face before leaving for boot camp. That's because of the distance between recruits and recruiting offices. So be sure to reach out to them.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    KayleighA

--
    08 Dec 2018 06:36 AM
    I called them yesterday morning and the recruiter sent me the big application and we're going to set up an interview date as soon as they receive it! ^^
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    08 Dec 2018 02:25 PM
    That's terrific! Best of luck with everything. You're really not making the wrong choice! Keep asking questions. We're here to help!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    KayleighA

--
    09 Dec 2018 07:16 PM
    Thank you Old Guard! I'll try to keep updating as stuff goes along and if I have any questions!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement