Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Discharge Advice
Last Post 25 Dec 2018 11:53 PM by CPORJM. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ArticFox768

--
23 Dec 2018 01:04 PM
    Hello,

A little background, I am a non-rate being discharged for unsat. performance. I received one NJP. However, I was immediately served an Intent to discharge with no probation or prior notification of the intent. I am also undergoing medical treatment and told my command this in my letter to my commander. This was apparently ignored. I was told I would be given an ETS sometime early next year if my second chance was not approved.

Is this correct procedure? If not is there anything further I can do? I have notified my command using COMDINST but they continue to ignore me.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Very Respectfully,
    Quaifep

--
    23 Dec 2018 09:10 PM
    It is your right to be, but that is very vague, and I'm not sure what you are expecting. Are you looking to be retained by the Coast Guard to continue your career, or to continue getting benefits and a paycheck until your medical treatments are completed? Either way, a chain of events happened that caused your command to start discharge paperwork. If you have gone through the appeals process, then the only thing I can think of is contacting the Command Master Chief. However, again, something happened that caused your Command to NJP you and discharge you. I am not telling you to not contact the CMC, but is this really a battle you can win? It may be best to start contacting the VA, going to TAPS (is it TGPS now?), and doing what you can to prepare for your transition.
    ArticFox768

--
    23 Dec 2018 11:15 PM
    To answer the main question there: I would like to be retained, as I was under the impression the whole point of a unsat discharge was go release members after all other options have failed to yield a change.. That seems to be the point of a probation notification, to tell you whats going to happen if you keep going down the path you chose..However if you are never put on probation, or notified of a right to probation..and they just boot you, right after already handing down a punishment from your NJP..then I feel you havent been given a chance to improve.

Edit: This entire process has also been described by my chain of command as highly unorthodox, and no one seems to be able to answer the how and why's of my commands decision to do it this way, which why Im reaching out to see if anyones seen this done, or done this to a person of my grade before.
    USCG Boat Driver

--
    24 Dec 2018 02:21 PM
    What was the NJP for? How long have you been in the CG? Did you have any negative Page 7 entries prior to NJP? What type of unit are you currently serving at? It's hard to answer this when the entire story is unknown.
    ArticFox768

--
    24 Dec 2018 02:45 PM
    NJP was for a misunderstanding regarding awards from my prior service, didnt not have sufficient evidence to prove the validity of some of my ribbons. I was re enlisted in April, sentence carried out in October. Served my restriction. No other Page 7s. No probation warning. Just served intent to discharge after my sentence.
    Very Respectfully, 
    Edit:Unit is a Sector
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    24 Dec 2018 10:10 PM
    Posted By ArticFox768 on 24 Dec 2018 02:45 PM
    NJP was for a misunderstanding regarding awards from my prior service, didnt not have sufficient evidence to prove the validity of some of my ribbons. I was re enlisted in April, sentence carried out in October. Served my restriction. No other Page 7s. No probation warning. Just served intent to discharge after my sentence.
    Very Respectfully, 
    Edit:Unit is a Sector

So you were wearing awards you weren't entitled to? If it wasn't on your 214 and you did nothing to remedy that, then you didn't earn that award as far as the CG is concerned.  You're lucky you just got NJP, which you don't get for a "misunderstanding".  Interesting how you first described this as a discharge for unsat performance, then changed to a "misunderstanding."  Which is it? I think there's a lot being left out here.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    ArticFox768

--
    25 Dec 2018 08:12 AM
    The details are not important other than:
    I was told it was for unsat performance with no probation period.
    Punishment was given, and completed.
    I am receiving treatment for my behavioral issues which was ignored.

Despite this being an "emotionally charged" issue.

All I need is an objective answer, I do not deserve to be ridiculed or berated or wished unwell. I have done my time with that.

Very Respectfully,

USCG Boat Driver

--
    25 Dec 2018 11:33 PM
    Something doesn't seem right with the story you are telling. There has to be a big piece of the story that is missing, and the command must have had a good reason to seek your discharge from the service.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    25 Dec 2018 11:53 PM
    Posted By USCG Boat Driver on 25 Dec 2018 11:33 PM
    Something doesn't seem right with the story you are telling. There has to be a big piece of the story that is missing, and the command must have had a good reason to seek your discharge from the service.

Which was my point exactly
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement