Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Required Knowledge Clarification
Last Post 06 Jan 2019 10:03 AM by superca. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
superca

--
27 Dec 2018 09:44 PM
    I'm a very specific person.
    I want to be prepared as much as possibly possible for basic training.

Required Knowledge - 
    I will have my 11 general orders memorized verbatim ...simple.

I will have the titles of all enlisted and officer ranks memorized. 

I will have their officer and enlisted sleeve insignia memorized... BUT do I need to memorized specific rating (job) insignia? or does "zero one white rating insignia" suffice?

Is "In a field of blue required?"

I will have collar devices for enlisted memorized. ...E1 thru E3 don't have collar devices?

I'm confused as to the officer insignia.
    Do they have collar devices y/n? yes right?
    Do they have sleeve insignia y/n? yes obv...
    Officers have lacing that I need to know? y/n
    Do they have other components im not aware of?

I'll have rate and rank abbreviations memorized.

I'll have common nautical terms memorized.

I'll have speaking memorized, eg "petty officer smith, seaman recruit brown, I request ...."

Do I need to have flags, pennants memorized? y/n?

Do I need to have vessel boarding customs down pat when I step off the bus at tracen CM?

Do I need to have Grooming Standards for men and women memorized when I step off?

Do I need to have all uniforms and uniform requirements memorized when I step off?

I'll have chain of command memorized (as much as possible)...
    how much is possible? All? Most?

Thanks in advance!!

Old Guard2User is Online
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    28 Dec 2018 07:56 AM
    Posted By superca on 27 Dec 2018 10:44 PM
    I'm a very specific person.
    I want to be prepared as much as possibly possible for basic training.

Required Knowledge - 
    I will have my 11 general orders memorized verbatim ...simple.

That might be the funniest thing I read all day.  Sure, memorizing all this stuff is simple and easy.  If I asked you hey tell me general order number 9, you probably can or will be able to.  Wait until you attempt to do it when you are physically exhausted, mentally fried, you've done about 2,000 push ups and 10,000 crunches and you're being screamed at to TELL ME GENERAL ORDER NUMBER 13 and you are searching your brain for it but nothing comes and you blurt out gibberish for something that doesn't even exist.  I appreciate you wanting to be ready, prepared, knowledgeable but honestly, you cannot say "simple" or know everything.  A lot of this stuff is minutia that will not be needed.  Boarding Regs??  Really?  Get the Helmsman and study it, forward, backward, upside down and you should be good.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    superca

--
    03 Jan 2019 11:15 PM
    Do they ask you general order #13? To test you? Is there a proper response? (Assuming, that I'll even be able to think clearly enough to realize there are only 11 general orders)

I apologize if my use of the word "simple" came off as belittlement of the coast guard basic training. I just meant that if they want me to regurgitate information without even having to think, that's a clear cut standard that I can bring myself to.

Also, the response I was hoping for wasn't "Just know your helmsman"

I want to be prepared, after all it is the motto of this organization.

The specific things I mentioned were what I wanted specific responses towards.

Either way, I appreciate your perspective and thank you for your response.

I know I could never possibly be 100% prepared for BT, but I want to give myself the best chance to get the most out of it.
    mrsteve007

--
    04 Jan 2019 12:11 AM
    All that you need to know is in the Helmsman. Nothing more is needed before you arrive. You will be quizzed on it, front and backwards, starting almost immediately. You will also learn a ton of skills and other information at Cape May, but primarily all of the “pop quizzes” will be information from the Helmsman
    + your entire Chain of Command from the Commander in Chief, down to your assistant Company Commanders (in later weeks, you’ll also be describing their differing rank insignia), and everyone in between.
    + daily required knowledge that is posted on a barracks bullion’s board, like time of sunrise/sunset, the daily duty officers, etc.

But if you arrive having completely memorized the Helmsman and already understand the proper method of replying, you’ll be properly prepared.
    mrsteve007

--
    04 Jan 2019 12:17 AM
    Also, as an aside: at A-school, it was a running joke by the instructors that we better prepare for a quiz on Flags and Pennants.

Unless you’re in a super specific C-school, that stuff never comes up. You don’t need to know it at this stage. The same for memorizing grooming standards, boarding customs, uniform, etc. That stuff they’ll teach you at Cape May.
    superca

--
    06 Jan 2019 07:22 AM
    What exactly in the helmsman do you mean? The helmsman doesn't go over how to properly describe insignias, collar devices, etc.

would it do me well to memorize the sexual harassment hotline? That's in the helmsman as well.

I understand I can't know everything, but I'll come as prepared as I can possibly be.

I never in anyway said boot camp will be easy, but the experience is as challenging as you decide to make it.

Come unprepared thinking they'll go over it there is a recipe for failure.
    Coming as prepared as possible and being ready for the challenge of my life, is living the CG motto..

Should I have the ethos memorized?

A little more direction as to exactly and precisely what in the helmsman I should focus on would help loads.
    Thanks!

(And please don't respond "know your helmsman backward, forward, and upside down" it's been said and is vague and unhelpful)
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    06 Jan 2019 07:57 AM
    Yes memorize the ethos. They never asked us to recite any phone numbers. Memorize the song semper paratus. Know all the ranks, rates and insignias. You don't have to be able to describe rating insignias just say zero one rating designator and know what rate it goes to. Just knowing how to properly respond to questions already will give you a major leg up when you get there. Don't worry about more specific things like grooming and uniform standards. You learn those in class and take tests in each class which I promise are very hard to fail and studying that material beforehand won't help you much. I was the same as you when I left for boot camp and I memorized everything I possibly could and it was worth it.
    superca

--
    06 Jan 2019 10:03 AM
    Thank you for your response!
    Ethos and semper paratus are now on my list.
    Good to know there are others like me.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement