Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Enroll more about the job
Last Post 07 Jan 2019 09:36 PM by reiss_pieces11. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
lapo1995

--
06 Jan 2019 03:54 AM
    Hi, i put you in my feets for a few moments.

I was serving at the US ARMY as an 19K (Armor Crewman), they told me it will be some manteinence job and also i will be a badass. Well the asthma appear after my first sesion after a Gas Chaimber on BCT, they give me a General Discharge and told me i have to wait 6 month to re-enlist

Now i am trying to join the Coast Guard as an MK but i will start a familly soon and i don't know how much time i will spend with them working on the Coast Guard and also been an MK. 

Also i don't know how it works everything because in Miami there is not too much recruiters and i have to do all online.

Please if yo have some info i will apreciate it. 
    reiss_pieces11

--
    07 Jan 2019 08:21 AM
    Hi there and welcome!  My boyfriend is wanting to go MK as well.  Not sure if you know about the process but after communicating with a recruiter and passing all the health and physical examinations, being sworn in, and then receiving your ship date you will go to boot camp for 8 weeks in Cape May, New Jersey.  While in BC you will get to write down some preferable stations you desire to be at, and then you will find out where you will be stationed near the final weeks of boot camp (hopefully somewhere close to where you wrote down).  After this you will report to your station.  If you are married your wife will be able to live nearby (I believe in government housing).  After getting your qualifications at the station you can put your name on an A School list.  This process of being accepted into A School could take a matter of a couple months, or a couple years.  As far as MK goes, I've heard it doesn't take as long to being accepted to the A School.  So let's say you get all your quals done on time and put your name on the A School list.  You're probably looking at being at your first station for about 1.5 years.  MK A School is in Virginia and I believe it is 3 months long.  This is unlike BC and is more like school (having classes during the week and in the morning/afternoon).  Once you get towards the end of A School you will receive an assignment to a different station (I've heard that your class rank affects the ability to picking a station of your choice; so if you have the best grades, you will get first picks on a list of stations looking for an MK3).  Then your family would move to your new station.

To build upon you not having recruiters in your area, make phone calls and get your name to stand out.  If you can make a visit, do so.  You want this process to go as fast as possible!  Check the A School category on the forum too and find MK.  There is where you can find more information on MK A School.  Good luck!  

Also, if any other people on the forum wish to correct me please do so.  I myself am not in the military and have learned much by reading on this forum and by talking with my boyfriend.  Thanks!
    Keep Calm and Love a Coastie!
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    07 Jan 2019 11:44 AM
    Asthma is going to very likely be a disqualiifer. I'm surprised you didn't get a medical discharge outright. You're told you can try to reenlist in 6 months, because I believe they're required to tell you that. Any history of asthma after the 13th birthday is disqualifying, unless it's so minor that you don't require oral steroids or inhaler treatment.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    reiss_pieces11

--
    07 Jan 2019 11:57 AM
    Did you know you had asthma before the Gas Chamber prior to enlisting?
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    07 Jan 2019 05:20 PM
    Posted By reiss_pieces11 on 07 Jan 2019 11:57 AM
    Did you know you had asthma before the Gas Chamber prior to enlisting?

If he knew about it, and didn't disclose it at MEPS, that could still land him in hot water.  Either way, he's been discharged and with the medical standards as they are, I'd say reenlistment is pretty unlikely.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    reiss_pieces11

--
    07 Jan 2019 09:36 PM
    It makes sense.  Thank you for explaining.  Was just curious if he knew prior because if he could to extensive work (such as the workouts required) without asthma and it was only the gas that triggered it maybe there could be an exception made (not sure how exceptions are determined).  Either way while underway or at work at the station, it would be dangerous if a person has an asthma attack which I’m sure is why the standards are as they are.  Thank you again, sir.  I wasn’t intending to mislead, if I did I apologize, still trying to learn.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement