Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Gaining "promotion: in the CGAux
Last Post 11 Feb 2019 12:55 PM by cgaux64. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
cgaux64

--
21 Jan 2019 11:03 AM
    I am new member of the Auxiliary (went to my first Flotilla meeting this past week).  I have read much of the new member training materials and understand how one earns qualifications for badges -- all very clearly explained.  What I still do not understand is how one earns stripes on one's sleeves or shoulder boards.  As a new member I realize I have a plain blue shoulder board, but how do I advance in staff officer ratings?  I have not been able to find any publication which explains this.  Can someone please enlighten me?  Thank you!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    22 Jan 2019 07:07 AM
    First, welcome aboard! In the Aux there are two types of office you can hold. One is appointed Staff Officers for particular areas, at different levels (flotilla, division, district, national in order). The other is elected, which is generally administrative (again at all those levels). Each level has different stripes or "A"s. Appointed are red, elected silver. 

In general you are going to need your first year just getting through basic instruction and passing required exams before moving into a staff position. That also depends on how big your flotilla is, and where. We are up in D9, so weather and ice keeps us from getting underway 6 months of the years. If you are in the Keys, then you have more time on the water.

The publication you want is the Auxiliary Manual. Google COMDTINST M16790.1G which is the Commandant's Instruction Manual for the Aux.

Hope this helps.
    cgaux64

--
    23 Jan 2019 10:22 AM
    Auxnoob

Thanks for the feedback. I am still a bit unclear (I have also skimmed through the guide you reference) about how you gain the next level office in the Aux. Are "stripes" awarded for a particular office you are appointed to such as Flotilla HR Officer. Thus if you have no stripes and are appointed to the HR officer post by the Flotilla Commander you would at some point be awarded one stripe as an indication of the office you now hold? Sorry to press on this but I can not seem to get a clear answer on how "promotion" actually works.

Thanks again!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    24 Jan 2019 05:08 AM
    Once you have been appointed (or elected, if you're running) you have the right to wear the insignia of that office on your uniforms. To follow your example of FSO (Flotilla Staff Officer) HR you would have one stripe on your SDB sleeve and shoulder boards, and a gold bar (with "A") on your coats and collars (as appropriate for uniform). Regardless of what office you hold you are always correct to wear the original member insignia.
    cgaux64

--
    11 Feb 2019 12:55 PM
    I would like to insert an image into my profile and have it displayed when I post a message to the Forum. I can't seem to find any instructions on how to do that. Have fiddled with the profile settings but can't make it happen?!? Any advice is much appreciated. Thx from Aux NJ
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement