Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Poem
Last Post 07 Mar 2019 06:29 AM by reiss_pieces11. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
GlennW

--
22 Jan 2019 04:03 PM
    I'm looking for the complete words to Arthur Somers Roche's poem "The Coast Guard Cutter". About 4 - 6 stanzas long, as I remember. I saw it posted in a few units during my career, but can't for the life of me find a copy now. Thanks in advance.
    reiss_pieces11

--
    27 Feb 2019 08:13 AM
    I could only find two stanzas... I'll see if I can find more. Let me know if you recognize this:

The Coast Guard Cutter

When she steams into the harbor
    People don’t flock round like bees,
    For she ain’t no grim destroyer
    No dark terror of the seas.
    And there ain’t a load of romance
    To the guy that doesn’t know
    In a ship that just saves vessels
    When the icy northers blow.
    When the old storm signal’ flyin’
    Every vessel seeks a lee,
    “Cept the Cutter, which ups anchor
    And goes ploughing out to sea,
    When the hurricane’s a blowin’
    From the banks to old Cape Cod
    Oh, the Cutter with her searchlight
    Seems the messenger of God.
    Anon.
    Keep Calm and Love a Coastie!
    GlennW

--
    27 Feb 2019 08:24 PM
    That's the first part. There's more, but I can't remember how much. Looks like about half maybe. Thanks for that much.
    reiss_pieces11

--
    28 Feb 2019 06:41 AM
    I'll keep trying to search for more!
    reiss_pieces11

--
    28 Feb 2019 06:46 AM
    Okay, the second stanza is what I've newly found... I've now found 3 stanzas. If all seems familiar, is there more?

When she steams into the harbor
    People don’t flock ’round like bees;
    For she ain’t no grim destroyer,
    No dark terror of the seas.
    And there ain’t a load of romance
    To the guy that doesn’t know,
    In a ship that just saves vessels
    When the icy northers blow.

But the men that sail the ocean
    In a wormy, rotten craft,
    When the sea ahead is mountains
    With a hell-blown gale abaft;
    When the mainmast cracks and topples,
    And she’s lurching in the trough,
    Them’s the guys that greet the “Cutter”
    With the smiles that won’t come off.

When the old storm signal’s flyin’,
    “Cept the “Cutter”, which ups anchor
    And goes ploughing out to sea,
    when the hurricane’s a-blown’
    From the banks of old Cape Cod
    Oh, the “Cutter”, with her searchlight,
    Seems the messenger of God.
    GlennW

--
    05 Mar 2019 03:38 PM
    That looks like it. Great! Where did you find it? I'm printing this out right now, and saving hard copy.
    GlennW

--
    05 Mar 2019 03:49 PM
    I think there's one more stanza, there's a part about women, who mostly know.
    reiss_pieces11

--
    06 Mar 2019 04:07 AM
    https://chuckhillscgblog.net/heritage/

Many websites had it listed as an unknown author which it why it was so tough to find! Here’s one of the websites I found it on.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    06 Mar 2019 02:24 PM
    I found this... http://www.sebagosailors.org/index....wners-list

THE COAST GUARD CUTTER

When the old storm signal's flyin',
    'Cept the Cutter, which ups anchor
    And goes poughing out to sea;
    When the hurricane's a-blowin'
    From the Banks to old Cape Cod,
    Oh, the Cutter, with her searchlight,
    Seems a messenger of God.

- Arthur Somers Roche

Personally, I am struck by the first stanza of this same poem;

Oh, she ain't packed down with cannon,
    She's got no torpedo tube;
    And promises no glory
    To attract the country rube.
    For her crew don't brag of killin',
    nor the joys of bloody strife;
    For they're tendin' to their business,
    Which is savin' human life.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    reiss_pieces11

--
    07 Mar 2019 06:29 AM
    Roche's work is unbelievable. I just looked at the three stanzas I succeeded in finding and realized he alternates syllables. 8, 7, 8, 7... Plus, he has a,b,a,b,c,d,c,d,e,f,e,f... format. Poem is very well written. Old Guard, is the second stanza you posted part of The Coast Guard Cutter by Roche? Maybe that's the last stanza we're missing in the poem! Quite the puzzle. It seems like many websites don't have the full complete poem.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement