Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
General Reserve questions, ME rate as well
Last Post 31 Jan 2019 02:32 PM by stealthtt24. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
stealthtt24

--
29 Jan 2019 06:52 AM
    Hello forum,

So I've been strongly thinking of switching to SELRES. Current ME2. Where I'm looking there is Stations, sectors and a PSU. I'm totally unfamiliar with how a reservist ME at a station would work. Anyone enlighten me on work schedule etc? Honestly thinking of either sector or PSU as I've never been a station guy. 

Have more questions but going to ask around and I forgot some off the top of my head. Oh, if I see the jobs in DA, I can expect to go to one of those correct? Thank you!
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    29 Jan 2019 07:10 PM
    I'm not 100% certain there are Reserve ME billets at a STA, so I can't speak to how Reservists are utilized there. The only thing that comes to mind is working as a BO. If you decide to go SELRES as an ME, your choices are either a Sector or PSU. If you go to a Sector, then you'll likely be on a Sector Boarding Team, doing security boardings of high value assets such as container ships, tankers, and possibly cruise ships as well. I did this when I was a PS (the forerunner to ME) and it was a good time. If you go to a PSU, you'll likely end up in Shoreside Security.

If you're considering a move to the SELRES, you'll need to get in touch with the In Service Transfer Team at RPM. They'll help you locate a billet and ensure a smooth transition to the Reserve.
    CGR-SMB-ISTT@uscg.mil

Good luck!
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    BuckyCop

--
    30 Jan 2019 08:28 AM
    Hi Stealth, I'm a Reserve ME2 at a Small Boat Station in a very large city. Being an ME at a STA in my experience is like being a part time boat cop. My station is very active and my reserve unit is very qualified and allowed to mostly run our own ops in coordination with the active crew. We conduct well over 100 boardings during our summer ADT, and probably close to 200-300 during the summer, just with our reserve crew. We have made cases from BUI to human trafficking. It's all what your local command allows and how active your unit wants to be.

Personally going to a Sector and being on a boarding team sounds awful. They get into very little as far as cases go and spend most of their time just sitting around sector, but that is my limited experience with 2 sectors. PSU is a whole different ball game. Forget about the LE part, you will train to deploy. I enjoy the LE aspect, so a PSU is not the best decision for me, but maybe you like the force protection, camo operator look and the different mission. You deploy more which many people like, but if you are a fully qualified ME2 at a small boat station you usually can apply to augment a shoreside security billet at a deploying PSU, just check on DA. You can PM me if you need more details on station life, or ME life in the reserves outside of a PSU.

As far as work schedule on our weekends. Usually we muster at 7AM and really get the day started at 8AM if there is no definite schedule, training in the morning and get underway in the afternoon is kind of our favorite, but we switch it up. You can do training and still be gunned up in case something goes down. Many of us will augment an active duty boarding team during the day as well. We are technically done for the day around 1600hrs, but our crew mostly just keeps working late into the night during the summer. Sunday is similar although we usually call it quits by 1600 unless there is a special event. Wrap it up, and see you next month!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    30 Jan 2019 10:13 AM
    Thanks Chief and thanks buckycop for the insight. I'm currently at a Sector so I know how little reservist do there (no fault of there own sometimes, just not as busy as a station). I wouldn't mind it at first, but once I get settled in to my new full time job, I wouldn't mind doing some actual work at a STA or PSU. I saw plenty of spots on DA but like Chief said, I'll probably email the Service Transfer Team so they can tell me whats up.

Buckcop, are you on site for 48 hours or do you guys and gals go home at the end of each night? Thanks again! I'll get more info as well once I get back into work.

Oh, can I be in the reserves and be using my GI bill and in school? Tried googling it and couldn't see any restrictions on job (military or not) while GI bill activation. I thought I had heard someone say no jobs at some point but maybe I misheard.
    BuckyCop

--
    30 Jan 2019 01:17 PM
    So as far as being on site, I can speak about my command only. There is 1 dedicated group of us that stay for the entire 48 hours. I always arrive on Friday evening and leave close to last on Sunday. I like to be in the action and jump on a SAR alarm if it comes up. That being said, I'd say 2/3 of the crew lives close and goes home at night on Saturday which is fine. Our Reserve berthing isn't huge, so it works out.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    31 Jan 2019 07:34 AM
    Awesome thanks for that info. Chief, how long do deployembts at PSU last and what's the rotation time for unit to unit in the reserves?
    BuckyCop

--
    31 Jan 2019 11:04 AM
    Standard deployments to GTMO right now are 9mos. But that is the regularly scheduled ones, if something comes up the exercises in the Pacific that concluded in Dec, it may be only a few weeks. What is the question with rotation time? From E-1 to E-6 you never have to leave your station. Guys have spent 20 years at my Station without ever being assigned anywhere else. As soon as you make E-7 or go Officer you are at the needs of the CG-R and can drill anywhere.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    31 Jan 2019 02:32 PM
    Awesome thanks for that info. That was my question and you answered it, I thought that was the case as we have some forever ME1's but wasn't 100%. Much appreciated.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement