Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Stomach turning call home from my recruit...
Last Post 01 Feb 2019 10:59 AM by reiss_pieces11. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Badkoz

--
30 Jan 2019 11:09 AM
    My son left for boot camp on January 15, 2019. He is in C-197. When he left he was in good spirits and seemed ready to go. I had worked out with him every day for the past two months to get him ready physically, we did the "It's Not Only Eight Weeks" work out. His last PT Test with the recruiter, he was able to do 40 pushups in 60 seconds, 52 sit-ups in 60 seconds and he ran his 1.5 miles in 10 minutes, 24 seconds. I served in the USN and gave him as much heads up as I could about boot camp. He wasn't the least bit worried. He seemed like he was good to go.

He called me on Monday, January 28th, first day of week 3. He was in tears, "Dad, I'm so sorry... I never really wanted this, I just wanted to make you proud..."

He was calling from the psychiatrist, I asked if he was done, he said not yet but he wanted to be, I asked if he was getting reverted, he said not yet. After 5 minutes of him telling me why this was a bad idea and me telling him why it was the best idea he ever had, his time was over and he said he might be able to call me Thursday.

I messaged the admin for the C-197 FaceBook support page and I was told, usually those "morale calls home" are enough get them to push through and to assume he is still in C-197. She said he would be permitted to call again if his status changes.

Well, no news is good news and it's been two days and no calls. My stomach is so knotted, I haven't been able to sleep. I am so proud of him for joining, I've been writing him every day, $4 a pop for Sandboxx messages, but since the call that's all I've been using.

I know many recruits start to question their decision to join right around week 2 or 3, I know they have to break him down so they can build him back up, but I'm praying they don't break him to the point that he quits.

I will continue to support him and trust that the CG knows what they're doing. They've seen a thousand recruits like my son and they'll see a thousand more. It's just getting hard to explain to my boss why I'm under my desk in a fetal position... just kidding... kinda...

Any thoughts or insights are greatly appreciated and I will update this post with any changes.

Thanks guys!

Semper Paratus!
    ajump99664

--
    30 Jan 2019 12:51 PM
    Good evening sir,

My first week was total hell, mentally speaking of course. Like your son, I had been working out extensively but not much could've prepared me for the amount of stress they create in Cape May. It's designed that way, in reality, it meant to push recruits as far as they can go. The company commanders (drill sargents) demand perfection all the while screaming in your face, and are not you only worried about your rear end, but also your shipmates next to you. It's a grueling experience unlike anything I've been put through. FYI - in my company we had prior service and all of them agreed this time around was much tougher. And you're absolutely right, it does take about 3 weeks for recruits to adjust to it. In my case, I was only comfortable after 2 weeks and started to comprehend what I was actually doing there. Of course I got through with the help of my fellow shipmates, but also going to Chapel Services and connecting with other recruits there as well. I'll say a prayer for him and hopefully he'll be able to find his footing and get what needs to be done to graduate.

Godspeed to your son!

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    30 Jan 2019 02:25 PM
    If it turns out this is something that he truly dreads, now is the time to find out. Now is also not the time to make rash decisions. But if he feels this isn't right, just hug him, encourage him, tell him there is obivously another path for him in life. I expected my son to be a world class surgeon while sailing a yacht around the world while he designs the latest BMW sports car. He is an OS2 in the CG, he is happy and I couldn't possibly be more proud of him than I am. He chose his path, he loves his life, what more can a mom ask for. So if your boy chooses the military isn't his cup of tea, you just hold his hand and guide him best you can while he figures out what his cup of tea is. As long as he is successful, happy & healthy... the world needs all of us in our calling. It doesn't need us doing something that we are unhappy in.

Hang in there. He will work this out and all will be right, whatever the decision may be. God bless and try to relax as best you can.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    reiss_pieces11

--
    30 Jan 2019 03:41 PM
    I will be praying for your son. During the first couple weeks of boot camp, my SO wrote me but hadn't received my letters yet (I wrote him everyday, but didn't have the address until i got his first letter so I saved all of them in a pile, then I mailed out about 12 at one time and at least one everyday after that, but I guess my first few letters got there delayed). He sounded so down in his letters. Told me this was the toughest thing ever, that he wasn't sure if he would make it. Even told me his plans in a letter about what he'd do after BC if he didn't make it through. He was very discouraged. Plus, because he didn't receive my letters until later made him even more discouraged. He thought I was ignoring him or forgot. Once he got my encouraging letters he sounded so much happier in his letters! Granted... this was also around week 3 or so. Just keep writing encouraging letters and tell him he will make it through. Stay proud!
    Keep Calm and Love a Coastie!
    Badkoz

--
    31 Jan 2019 06:30 AM
    Thank you all, this really does help!
    reiss_pieces11

--
    01 Feb 2019 10:59 AM
    Hope he's doing better. Join the FaceBook page for Charlie 197 if you haven't! Also, here is the "Boot Camp Blog". They hadn't posted on it for a bit, but looks like it's back up and running!
    http://bootcamp.coastguard.dodlive.mil/
    Keep Calm and Love a Coastie!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement