Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
day off in a contract
Last Post 20 Apr 2019 08:09 PM by FLtoNC1979. 13 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
kungfumonk007

--
24 Feb 2019 05:05 PM
    I am headed to depot next month to be an MK. I would like to take contracts for 6 months a year if possible. I am a working musician and am very flexible but I may have a date here or there that is a must. For example I have a coupleconcerts Aug 4-5. If there is an available contract at a base or station for June-Aug could I apply for it on a condition I have Aug 4-5 off? Do you have leave when you are a reservist working a 3 month contract?
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    25 Feb 2019 09:13 AM
    When you enlist in the Reserve, it is for an 8 year contract, initially. This is usually broken down as 6 years as a drilling Reservist, with the option of doing the last 2 in the Inactive Ready Reserve (IRR), or you can do the entire 8 as a drilling Reservist. If your recruiter has not explained this to you, they've done you a huge disservice.

Are you asking about the possibility of receiving active duty orders as a Reservist ? If so, you must understand that these are NOT guaranteed, other than for your annual 2 week active duty period. There has to be a need to bring you on active duty, e.g manpower shortage, operational necessity, etc.

If you do receive active duty orders, you will accumulate leave at the rate of 2.5 days/month. If you need the day off, and you have the time available, you can submit for it. Understand that when you're on active duty, the CG is now your full time job. Also understand that you may not be on active duty at your assigned unit.

"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    kungfumonk007

--
    25 Feb 2019 09:26 AM
    After I swore in the person driving me back to the airport was a reservist and said for the larger ratings (mk and bm) there are constantly plenty of available active duty spots ranging from 2 weeks to 2 years. He said there are even non-rate openings on a regular basis. I am available to work nationwide, worldwide, cutter whatever.

Was this information not correct?
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    26 Feb 2019 08:10 PM
    There are several types of active duty available:

Title 10- these are related to national defense needs. These are issued for a period of several months up to a year

Title 14-these are issued in support of man made or natural disasters, e.g Deepwater Horizon disaster in New Orleans, 2010, or the recent hurricanes. These are for 60 day periods, with a 60 day break.

Active Duty for Operational Support (ADOS)- These are issued for 30 days to a year, with the option of extending that year, based on funding. These orders are to fill manpower vacancies at various units.

You will not get any of these types of orders for just two weeks. The only two week orders you'll see are for your annual ADT (Active Duty for Training). From that aspect, your source is incorrect

There is another type of active duty that Reservists may go on called Extended Active Duty (EAD). Under these types of orders, you leave the CGR and become a member of the active duty CG for set period, usually three years.

The thing you must understand is that when you're on active duty under any of the above types of orders, the CG is your full time job, and your civilian career goes on hold. That means for you, no musical gigs. Kind of hard to do that if your section has duty, or you're underway on a cutter.

"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    kungfumonk007

--
    26 Feb 2019 08:24 PM
    Thanks for your in depth answer. Sorry to be a nuisance- that answers my original question (and a lot of other questions I had) - basically no - which is fine I just wanted the info ahead of time. The second question thougb was I was told that for large ratings like mk and bm, especially if you are okay to travel, there are plentiful opportunities to work as long of course if I am a diligent worker and getting qualifications. Is that the case? Are there lots of opportunities for a hardworking mk throughout the ywar or am I just looking at maybe a few months here or there every other year. I really really want to work with the uscg on a regular basis, not just one weekend a month 2 weeks a year.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    27 Feb 2019 06:50 AM
    Then why not just enlist and not do the Reserve thing?
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    kungfumonk007

--
    27 Feb 2019 10:48 AM
    because I am 39
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    27 Feb 2019 02:26 PM
    Ahhhhh
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    BuckyCop

--
    28 Feb 2019 07:32 AM
    Kungfu- Look into the Coast Guard Operation Summer Stock program. As soon as you are qualified (engineer on 29 RBS or 45 RBM usually) you can put in to work the entire summer at a small boat station on the Great Lakes. It is an awesome experience and can be very busy. You can work with your command on days off, but expect to be a part of a regular duty section.

You can always try and augment a PSU deployment as well, but that will be mostly impossible to get off and fly home for a concert, however they are coveted Title 10 orders.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    28 Feb 2019 05:56 PM
    Posted By BuckyCop on 28 Feb 2019 08:32 AM
    Kungfu- Look into the Coast Guard Operation Summer Stock program. As soon as you are qualified (engineer on 29 RBS or 45 RBM usually) you can put in to work the entire summer at a small boat station on the Great Lakes. It is an awesome experience and can be very busy. You can work with your command on days off, but expect to be a part of a regular duty section.

You can always try and augment a PSU deployment as well, but that will be mostly impossible to get off and fly home for a concert, however they are coveted Title 10 orders.

I'll definitely second the recommendation for Summerstock!  I did it back in 2005 while I was still a blue suiter and had a blast!
    FLtoNC1979

--
    16 Apr 2019 06:05 PM
    How was DEPOT at 39? I start DEPOT June 2. I'll be 40 soon...
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    16 Apr 2019 08:35 PM
    Posted By FLtoNC1979 on 16 Apr 2019 07:05 PM
    How was DEPOT at 39? I start DEPOT June 2. I'll be 40 soon...

You really should have started a new thread for this.  The subject this is posted under has nothing to do with your topic, so chances are it won't be seen
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    17 Apr 2019 05:54 AM
    Gotta say I'm with Chief on this one. A thread about getting a day off guaranteed in a contract and hey how was it at my age... Not seeing any correlation. Chief and I just check and read almost every single thread, so we catch these things. Normally the mantra is post once and wait. In this case, find a more appropriate thread or just start a new one for yourself.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    FLtoNC1979

--
    20 Apr 2019 08:09 PM
    I just saw the response from kungfu about being 39, so it sparked my interest. my bad.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement