Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Been waiting on ship date since October
Last Post 03 Apr 2019 10:09 AM by ECG2930. 22 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ECG2930

--
03 Mar 2019 11:25 AM
    Hi my my wife and I signed my son up for uscg in August because he was only 17 and had graduated a year early and was to young to sigh up by his self. About 3 weeks later we received a call from his recruiter saying he was accepted and would have to go for MEPS. I thank that's was one of my proudest days of my life. Since then we have been driving him from Ms to Louisiana witch is about 1.5 hour drive one way every 2 weeks for PT  he's running 1.5 mile under the 12 doing pushups situps and was told in October he was on the top of her list and we was just waiting on a ship out date. Well its now March and we are now 7-8 months in and still no call with even a possible ship date. This seems to have a very discouraging  effect on my son. My son was also interested in the air force but decided USCG instead. At this point I fell he has given up on getting a call and is now looking into other options and has ask me about coming offshore with me. I just don't know what to do any more. I mean should I try to push him to the Air Force? But At this point I don't even know if I can talk him into seeing a recruiter with the Air Force. At what point as a father do you say son it's time to move on? Are do you try to hold out longer? Can someone tell me what's the average wait time these days to get into bootcamp?
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    03 Mar 2019 11:35 AM
    His recruiter should have booked him a boot camp date once everthing was done, but remember there was a Goivernment shutdown. This likely delayed everything.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    ECG2930

--
    03 Mar 2019 12:00 PM
    That's exactly what I was thanking. Guess in Metairie Louisiana they do thing a little differently. Would it be possible to contact another office at a different location?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    03 Mar 2019 02:14 PM
    Just have your son call his recruiter and ask what the time frame for a date is looking like.
    ECG2930

--
    03 Mar 2019 03:09 PM
    We have done that several times and she keeps saying that the USCG is at a slowdown period and thing are moving much slower these days
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    03 Mar 2019 07:34 PM
    Did your son already take the asvab and go through meps?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    04 Mar 2019 08:16 AM
    Recruiter shopping is never a good idea. Stick with the one you're working with. If you still get no answers, and it sounds like you're not going to, ask to speak to the Recruiter in Charge. Tell him/her your concerns, your son's commitment by showing up for PT stuff and now his discouragment in no answers. You should not have to wait this long.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    ECG2930

--
    04 Mar 2019 09:52 AM
    Yes my son has completed the asvab top 20% he made 76. Finished MEPS in September. Was finishing all training exercises under the time limit since October and was told he was at the top of the list to be shipped out. Still no call
    ECG2930

--
    06 Mar 2019 05:22 AM
    After making a few calls Monday and talking to someone about my concerns I was told they would send in a email but was not much that could be done but he would check into it. At 0600 this morning I received a call saying my son would receive a ship date within the next two weeks. I expressed my gratitude to him and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    06 Mar 2019 07:38 AM
    That is awesome!!! Please let us know if you have any questions. We are here to help and happy to do it!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    ECG2930

--
    07 Mar 2019 06:27 PM
    Received phone call this morning my son has MEPS 18-19 of this month
    ECG2930

--
    07 Mar 2019 06:27 PM
    Received phone call this morning my son has MEPS 18-19 of this month
    ECG2930

--
    12 Mar 2019 06:18 PM
    My son received a ship out date of April 16
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 Mar 2019 06:54 PM
    That's fantastic! Congratulations!!! At 3 in the morning, burst into his room, scream FIRE FIRE FIRE and make him recite general order #5 while doing push ups. Lol
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    ECG2930

--
    14 Mar 2019 05:28 AM
    Lmao that sounds like a good one!
    ECG2930

--
    27 Mar 2019 05:05 PM
    So on 3/24/18 my son went swear in at the New Orleans Kenner location. We found out the sigh on bonus that he was told hell get ended in October and he will no longer receive it and we also found out that once he completed everything in October of 2018 he could of been put into delayed entry and had his time started then to count towards his 6 years but someone dropped the ball. But on the good note he is shipping out April 16th
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    28 Mar 2019 06:27 AM
    The bonus part really sucks. Those kinda come and go with the wind. It sucks that it was missed but that's ok, likely there will be others. As far as the DEP, that's no big deal. In the grand scheme, the 6 months isn't all that much time. Hopefully he will do 20 years and 6 months won't much matter and an April retirement ceremony will be much nicer anyway! LOL Wishing him all the best luck!!! And you! The days are going to drag by but the weeks will fly!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    ECG2930

--
    02 Apr 2019 03:57 PM
    I bought my son a US Army Military Deployment DUFFLE Duffel Flight Carry-on Sea Bag Back Pack. Will this be allowed as a carry on to the flight when he leaves for bootcamp
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    02 Apr 2019 04:06 PM
    Oh no, no! That will get him NOTICED FAST! He wants a simple carry on, nothing more. It has to be carry on, not checked. They can't go out of the secure area because the USO is on the secure side of the airport. Also you're going to send a newly sworn in COASTIE with an Army duffle??? Oh no no! You would be better sending him with Elmo meets Dora the explorer, honest! I love it. Let him feel wrath in the first 3 minutes but oh no, he will feel wrath in the first 3 minutes!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    02 Apr 2019 05:48 PM
    You son won't be bringing very many items with him to boot camp, a regular backpack or small duffel bag is enough. He will be issued a sea bag in boot camp like the one you bought. It's better not to stand out too much that first day of arrival, a military sea bag will draw attention.
    ECG2930

--
    02 Apr 2019 08:44 PM
    Thank you very much. Looks like I'm the new owner of a sea bag.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    03 Apr 2019 08:33 AM
    You'll have lots of future traveling to do to exotic ports of call that you never dreamed of to visit your Coastie! So hang onto that seabag and put it to good use for yourself!! :-)
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    ECG2930

--
    03 Apr 2019 10:09 AM
    I'm so very excited and cannot wait for that day to come. Thankyou for the reply
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement