Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
April 19 DCA Board
Last Post 23 Sep 2019 12:42 PM by 64_Guy. 59 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
64driver

--
31 Jul 2019 01:08 PM
Posted By s_86_d on 26 Jul 2019 09:53 AM
Got the email today. I sent back the letter of intent and I looking forward to seeing you all at the DCO course.

Congrats!
64driver

--
04 Sep 2019 11:59 AM
Just received two emails. One from OPM with dates for commission and  DCO and another email from the assignment officer saying that we will get another email soon with our options for aviation assignment.

Commission: 9 Dec 19
DCO: 23 Jan - 28 Feb 20.
s_86_d

--
05 Sep 2019 08:15 PM
Just received the same email/information. Hoping the detail reaches us sooner than later so the family can be present to have input. I get back underway soon...
64_Guy

--
06 Sep 2019 10:14 AM
I got my e-mail from the AO on Wednesday and the e-mail form the DCO Liaison yesterday that had commission on 9DEC but the DCO course 21MAY20 till 25JUN20. Anyone else have a later DCO date and know if that has any impact on assignments or anything like that?
kirkaland

--
06 Sep 2019 04:34 PM
Posted By 64_Guy on 06 Sep 2019 11:14 AM
I got my e-mail from the AO on Wednesday and the e-mail form the DCO Liaison yesterday that had commission on 9DEC but the DCO course 21MAY20 till 25JUN20. Anyone else have a later DCO date and know if that has any impact on assignments or anything like that?

No impact on assignments. You'll just get straight to work upon reporting and go tdy for a month in the summer.
Simple1

--
06 Sep 2019 08:43 PM
Posted By kirkaland on 06 Sep 2019 05:34 PM
Posted By 64_Guy on 06 Sep 2019 11:14 AM

No impact on assignments. You'll just get straight to work upon reporting and go tdy for a month in the summer.

Concur with Kirkland. I was really worried about selecting a certain commissioning date that it would affect my assignment choices. But we all got the same list. And for the most part, our whole class got really high choices on their dream sheet. Also, note that as DCAs it will likely be months before you’re a duty standing pilot. DCO school is long and you need to wait for a T Course date.
64_Guy

--
07 Sep 2019 05:41 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Kirkland and simple1.
I am a current O-3 coming in and noticed on the OPM-1 memo that it said I would be coming in as an O-2E. Is that correct? I was under the impression it was just O-2. Did anyone else receive 0-2E pay?
60pilot

--
07 Sep 2019 06:27 PM
I’m joining from the Army as a warrant officer. I know that any enlisted or warrant officer with 4 or more years that transitions to O1, O2, or O3 will receive E pay. Guess it still applies to your case too. I guess it will lessen that pay cut you are taking.
Simple1

--
07 Sep 2019 09:39 PM
Posted By 64_Guy on 07 Sep 2019 06:41 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Kirkland and simple1.
I am a current O-3 coming in and noticed on the OPM-1 memo that it said I would be coming in as an O-2E. Is that correct? I was under the impression it was just O-2. Did anyone else receive 0-2E pay?

If you’re coming over as a straight O, you should not be getting E pay. Warrants do get the E pay, or if you were an O3E. But if not, it’s a mistake.
s_86_d

--
09 Sep 2019 04:36 PM
If you receive a rank reduction, you pick up the "E." Not sure on the reason but glad because it reduces the pain of the pay drop.
64_Guy

--
11 Sep 2019 09:00 AM
I just received a response back from OPM-1. She said the O-2E was an error and it should be just O-2.
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
sardaddy

--
13 Sep 2019 08:20 AM
"If you receive a rank reduction, you pick up the "E." Not sure on the reason but glad because it reduces the pain of the pay drop."

No you don't. You will only be paid as an O2. E-Pay is to acknowledge that someone did their time as an enlisted member or warrant officer before becoming a RLO (real live officer) So a drop from O-3 to O-2 is not what the "E" pay is for. One could try to argue they should receive "Save Pay" to offset the lower rank but nobody has been able to win that argument while making this transition for at least 20 years.
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
13 Sep 2019 11:50 AM
RLO (real live officer) hahahahah that's hilarious.
Sector NY, Staten Island
s_86_d

--
13 Sep 2019 03:23 PM
Sardaddy, thanks for the clarification. Next question... does flight pay start over or continue where it left off from previous service?
kirkaland

--
13 Sep 2019 03:54 PM
Posted By s_86_d on 13 Sep 2019 04:23 PM
Sardaddy, thanks for the clarification. Next question... does flight pay start over or continue where it left off from previous service?

Continues right from where you left off
Simple1

--
13 Sep 2019 05:38 PM
Posted By s_86_d on 13 Sep 2019 04:23 PM

SAR, do you know where in DA it shows the start date of your flight pay? I’m getting paid correctly for mine, but I’m coming up on my next gate in a couple months and want to make sure they have the correct date in there. 

64_Guy

--
17 Sep 2019 06:30 AM
Does anyone have an idea about how long you have from commission date to when you need to report to your duty station? I Need to start planning the exit strategy for both work and current house.
Simple1

--
17 Sep 2019 08:14 AM
CGRC is in the process of improving the accession process, so your experience may be different.  I couldn’t get orders until after commissioning, so I got orders I think 4 days after, and checked into my unit a couple days after that. I was essentially asked what day do I want to check in, which really helped out. Another rub is that you can’t get an EMPLID until after you commission, so you’re unable to set up a move until after you get your orders. This led to me doing a full dity move  which really sucked (though had a good experience with UPack), because I was selling my house and had to be out by a certain day.  I couldn’t risk not having movers for a couple weeks. If your new duty station isn’t as far as your Home of Record, your last service can pick up the move, but, in my case it was further so I would have lost money if I went that route.
BRG23

--
17 Sep 2019 12:49 PM
Not an aviator, but a submariner, current O-3. Any other prior Navy officers who received a reduction in rank through this DCO program should look at section 1.G.4. of the Accessions manual. It could help you out.
https://media.defense.gov/2017/Apr/27/2001738868/-1/-1/0/CGD-170427-986-014.PDF
It won't get you E pay, but the Date of Rank determination here will get you to the next promotion faster. Contacting the YN2/YN1 on your appointment letter would be where I would start to get this section to apply to you.
-BRG
64driver

--
17 Sep 2019 04:54 PM
Posted By BRG23 on 17 Sep 2019 01:49 PM
Not an aviator, but a submariner, current O-3. Any other prior Navy officers who received a reduction in rank through this DCO program should look at section 1.G.4. of the Accessions manual. It could help you out.
https://media.defense.gov/2017/Apr/27/2001738868/-1/-1/0/CGD-170427-986-014.PDF
It won't get you E pay, but the Date of Rank determination here will get you to the next promotion faster. Contacting the YN2/YN1 on your appointment letter would be where I would start to get this section to apply to you.
-BRG
This looks useful. Pardon my ignorance but what is YN2/1.

BRG23

--
17 Sep 2019 05:41 PM
A YN1 or a YN2 is a Yeoman 1st class or 2nd class, respectively. It is the enlisted rate involved with administration. Please tell me you were not a Naval Aviator.
64driver

--
17 Sep 2019 10:44 PM
Army.
60pilot

--
18 Sep 2019 07:18 AM
Everyone still waiting for the list of available assignments from the assignment officer? Be away from the office for a bit still...just making sure that email didn’t come out yet.
64_Guy

--
18 Sep 2019 08:09 AM
Has anyone on here come over from the Reserves or National Guard? For some reason it seems like the process is different. I spoke with OPM-1 today and was told that I would commission on the 9th of December but my orders would not start until the 6th or 13th of Jan and that I would be listed as a reservist on a 5 year contract. I just spoke with a friend of mine who is coming over from Active duty and he was told he was commissioning on the 9th and would be on active duty status starting then, as an active duty member. Does anyone have any insight on this?
64_Guy

--
18 Sep 2019 08:10 AM
I haven't received anything yet.
Simple1

--
18 Sep 2019 08:19 AM
I’m pretty sure everybody but academy grads come over on reserve commissions, but go Extended Active Duty status. Once your commitment is done, provided you make O3, you’ll be assessed into the active duty. You should be IRR upon hiring, and then when you check into your unit start “EAD”. The reserve commission makes it easier for them to fire you if you mess up, is how it was explained to me. But for all intents and purposes, you’ll be active duty.
64_Guy

--
18 Sep 2019 08:22 AM
Does everyone come in as IRR or just those coming over from Reserve, Guard, or civilian?  I would rather start after commission than wait till January so I can leave my current position.
64driver

--
18 Sep 2019 05:21 PM
You are still on active duty with out being active duty if that makes sense. I believe it is similar to how the Army treats warrants. You technically are not active duty until you reach CW2 but you are still active duty for retirement, etc.
BRG23

--
18 Sep 2019 06:06 PM
It looks like everyone is mixing up reserves with the IRR. The DCO handbook details the process. You take the oath on the 9th. Immediately enter the IRR (you're not getting paid). Then 4-9 days before you report to your unit, you activate, leaving the IRR and starting extended active duty as you move to your next unit. For the next three years, you're an activated reservist.
This is all unless you're currently active duty, then you skip the IRR step. This is to avoid gaps in your record.
64_Guy

--
23 Sep 2019 12:42 PM
To follow up with S_86_d's question, when do you actually start getting flight pay? Is it right away once your on active duty status (minus hiccups in them getting your pay right) or after you go to the Transition Course?
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement