Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
April 19 DCA Board
Last Post 21 Jan 2020 07:20 PM by Spencer.T. 108 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 4 << < 1234 > >>
Author Messages
kirkaland

--
24 Sep 2019 07:02 PM
Posted By 64_Guy on 23 Sep 2019 01:42 PM
To follow up with S_86_d's question, when do you actually start getting flight pay? Is it right away once your on active duty status (minus hiccups in them getting your pay right) or after you go to the Transition Course?

You start getting flight pay as soon as you commission.
64driver

--
30 Sep 2019 11:41 PM
Has anyone successfully contacted our assignment officer? I sent an email early last week asking about any updates and have had heard nothing back.
Basic Member
Basic Member
Andisoss

--
01 Oct 2019 08:05 AM
This is the busiest time of year for Assignment Officers. We only have have 2 (one for O-1 thru O3 and another for O4+) for every aviator in the Coast Guard.
64driver

--
01 Oct 2019 09:30 AM
I get it. We are all busy, but at least give an acknowledgement given we are two months from commissioning and have no idea where we are going or even what the options are. If an email this simple gets lost in the sauce I can't imagine what else gets ignored up there.
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
01 Oct 2019 09:48 AM
You are 2 months from commissioning? You have at least another month before you have to worry. People in boot camp find out in week 5 of 8. People in OCS typically find out in week 14 of 18. You'll know when they have the time. It will be plenty of time to make the necessary plans. Hurry up & wait, it is the military way!
Sector NY, Staten Island
47_Guy

--
01 Oct 2019 06:46 PM
Lol. That may be “plenty of time” if you are moving from somewhere in the continental United States to another duty location in the continental US. For those of us in Alaska or anywhere else overseas having less than a month to get things moving is not ideal. Especially when you take into account shipping vehicles, scheduling a ferry if need be, scheduling household goods movements, plane tickets for children, etc. It’s certainly a frustrating timeline for some.
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
02 Oct 2019 03:56 AM
When I was married to my Coastie... boot camp to Kodiak (we both lived in NJ so we both moved that distance). Kodiak to OCS to New Orleans back to Alaska then to Virginia then back to Alaska. So yeah, I get it. Been there, done that, lost household goods and waited for cars to prove it. It is plenty of time.
Sector NY, Staten Island
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
02 Oct 2019 06:20 AM
Just to follow up with my point... My ex followed up with another Alaska tour, another Alaska tour, Iraq, Alaska, Texas, The Netherlands, Texas. The longest "advance" notice we had of ANYTHING, be it with me or after we were divorced, was boot camp and Iraq. Even when he went to OCS, we had orders to Cape Cod. The movers were coming in 2 weeks. He got picked up for OCS. OK, do I stay on Kodiak, do I go home to my family? Notify movers. He went to Yorktown (this was 30 years ago), I went to NJ and then we waited again not knowing where were going. Found out New Orleans only 4 weeks before he finished OCS. It was more than enough time. Of course with Iraq he had a fair amount of advance notice because there was more intense training in Ft Dix NJ before he left for Iraq. So please, don't tell me you need months and months of advance notice, no matter where you are going.
Sector NY, Staten Island
47_Guy

--
02 Oct 2019 10:15 AM
Not trying to get in a pissing contest with you by any means. This is the DCA thread, which means we’re all prior service of some form or fashion and therefore we have all been in this situation before. Doesn’t make it any easier despite how many weeks or months notice you get. Simply stating it’s a frustrating timeline. Also, not saying we need “months and months notice” either. Some, if not all of us, are transitioning into the CG from other branches as Aviators. Going from a different branch into another is a slightly different scenario than yours as in we have to completely leave one service to commission into another which adds other frustrations that go along with that aspect. But, either way that doesn’t make it harder or easier. Just frustrating as you clearly understand.
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
sardaddy

--
02 Oct 2019 11:31 AM
Don't worry about Old Guard. She is all knowing about the Coast Guard due to her husband's service. She clearly understands the angst of leaving one service to another. Or the bureaucracy of dealing with your current service and trying to coordinate with your new service as you transition. If you cannot complete the transition in the timeline she has dictated, you are obviously not as well suited to military service as she was during her many years on active duty.

47 Guy- My board took six months to get resolved and then they notified all of us less than two weeks before we were supposed to report to the DCO course. Most of us didn't make it. Instead we were sent to our units to check in or in my case, I went right to the H65 transition course a couple of weeks later. trying to sell my house, figure out where my wife and son would be living if I sold the house before I was done with the transition, what I would do if I didn't sell the house, etc. was a challenge. Although trying to get to Puerto Rico right after the T-course was not easy either. 

It all works out in the end but working with the Coast Guard before you go is definitely a challenge. 

Good luck to all of you. 
64driver

--
02 Oct 2019 02:37 PM
Thanks for your info. For some members on this forum, just because you can doesn't mean you should. 47_Guy, I'm right there with you. If it comes down to it I will bug the crap out of someone but from what I heard we should know by the end of next week what our choices are and hopefully soon after where we are headed.
47_Guy

--
02 Oct 2019 03:47 PM
Sardaddy- Haha each branch has those “SMEs” on everything lol. Wow, that sounds awful! My wife would likely kill me if that happens haha I’m glad it all worked out for you in the end but damn that sounds terrible.

64driver- that is good news. I hope that is the case for sure. I am more wanting to know for my wife’s sake. She wants to figure out where we’re going so she can apply for jobs and what not. She asks me everyday if I have heard anything haha. Fingers crossed we hear something next week. I did email the assignment officer and she said she’s currently working the flight school assignments and then we’re next so here’s to hoping for the best!
64driver

--
08 Oct 2019 08:14 AM
Alright guys... Who was the one who sent the nasty gram to the assignment officer? Haha.
s_86_d

--
08 Oct 2019 07:43 PM
I just checked my civilian email for the first time in a week (underway internet...) Yeah not cool whoever did that. At the same time, that scared me as my first thought was "oh $%!&, the email didn't go to my .mil mail! I hope I didn't miss the deadline!"
60pilot

--
11 Oct 2019 12:55 PM
Good news. Assignment List is out!
sculton12

--
11 Oct 2019 01:02 PM
Did you get the list in your personal or military email?
60pilot

--
11 Oct 2019 01:03 PM
Military
s_86_d

--
11 Oct 2019 04:52 PM
Thank goodness! y'all gave me the heads up. I did not have it in my .mil email and was defeated for about .5 seconds. Hope we all get our #1 pick (yay diversity......) :-)
s_86_d

--
12 Oct 2019 05:25 AM
Quick question, did a search with no results... What is OPBAT?
60pilot

--
12 Oct 2019 09:09 AM
Operation Bahamas Turks and Caicos. Clearwater goes TDY to support a drug interdiction type mission with the Bahamian government I guess. That’s about all I know though.
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
sardaddy

--
14 Oct 2019 05:45 AM
just an FYI, OPBAT is not an actual assignment. it will say that on your orders and that will be your billet within the organization but you will just be a regular pilot at the air station and rotate to an OPBAT tour just like everyone else. OPBAT is just a forward in the Bahamas for a couple of weeks at a time. Not much there at the airfield but it is interesting.
64_Guy

--
15 Oct 2019 05:57 AM
I just got an e-mail this morning saying that flight school at Pensacola and Corpus Texas were accidentally and that these were options if you wanted to extend. Does anyone have any insight on this? Would they send a new DCA right in to flight school as an instructor and what kind of an extension would this entail?
60pilot

--
15 Oct 2019 07:36 AM
I saw that also. I guess for us helicopters pilots you could go to Pensacola and train new pilots on the TH57? Corpus Christi is one of their fixed wing training locations. So I could see a new DCA teaching the TH57.
Simple1

--
15 Oct 2019 09:54 AM
Posted By 64_Guy on 15 Oct 2019 06:57 AM
I just got an e-mail this morning saying that flight school at Pensacola and Corpus Texas were accidentally and that these were options if you wanted to extend. Does anyone have any insight on this? Would they send a new DCA right in to flight school as an instructor and what kind of an extension would this entail?

No. That is meant to say you were a navy school flight instructor already, and instead of moving you the Coast Guard will just extend you a year to help fill their flight instructor tax to the Navy. As a DCA anywhere else, they will not send you to flight school.
60pilot

--
15 Oct 2019 10:56 AM
Guess that makes more sense.
s_86_d

--
22 Oct 2019 10:17 PM
Has anyone received word yet? Part of me wants to email/call and ask if they received my inputs due to deployment internets (sometimes stuff just doesn't send.)
64driver

--
23 Oct 2019 12:23 AM
Not yet.
64_Guy

--
23 Oct 2019 06:30 AM
S_86_d did you not receive an acknowledgement e-mail from the AAO?  I got a "thanks for the e-mail" reply at least.
60pilot

--
23 Oct 2019 07:28 AM
I have not heard back yet either. I’m hoping by Friday we get something.
s_86_d

--
23 Oct 2019 10:37 AM
Nothing, I sent the list back and cc'd my civilian email. The email made it to gmail, so I am 99% certain the email punted off the carrier.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 4 << < 1234 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement