Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
joining
Last Post 08 Jul 2005 08:58 PM by HeatwaveDave. 14 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
HeatwaveDave

--
28 Dec 2004 07:10 PM
    I am in the process of joining the Coast Guard. I wanted to know what I should do in order to get into shape. Running and Swimming are pretty obvious, but are there any particular excercises I should be doing? Another question I have is what is my chance of becoming an MK or a DC? I haven't taken my ASVAB yet and I have been putting it off mainly because i don't know what i need to know. I have a book called "cracking teh ASVAB" by the Princeton Review, it seems to be pretty informative, but it is also a lot of info being thrown at you. What areas would be best to study?
    HeatwaveDave

--
    28 Dec 2004 07:11 PM
    thanks in advance for any help..
    HeatwaveDave

--
    28 Dec 2004 08:02 PM
    also another question, i read that medical exams take place after arrival in Cape May. what would be means of sending a recruit home?
    gryfonclaw

--
    30 Dec 2004 09:52 PM
    I, myself, will be joining soon and would also like to know what to expect. You might also want to visit http://www.gocoastguard.com/faq.html. They have some information you might find useful.

Also, I pulled these requirements off of that site:

To meet minimum qualifications for graduation you must be able to perform the following:
    PUSH-UPS: male: 29 female: 23 (in 1 minute)
    SIT-UPS: male: 38 female: 32 (in 1 minute)
    1.5 MILE RUN: male:12:51 female: 15:26 (minutes)
    SIT AND REACH: male: 16.50 female: 19.25
    COMPLETE SWIM CIRCUIT: Jump off a 5 ft. platform into the pool, swim 100 meters, and tread water for 5 minutes.
    HeatwaveDave

--
    25 Mar 2005 06:32 PM
    I found a lot of info hooked up with a recruiter and im on my way to Cape May July 12th
    dave
    nwcoastiewife

--
    28 Mar 2005 12:03 AM
    GO to www.uscg.mil go to units and them scroll to the bottom and click on HQ units and them click on TRACEN Cape May New Jersey and you will find all you need to know there is also an CWO Carson PA that you can ask question of as well the CG is a wonderful group of people this, I know we are Prior (6) years ARMY yuk!!!!!!!! roll
    gobucks

--
    06 Apr 2005 06:06 PM
    The ASVAB is most heavily weighted in math. My advice would be to brush up on your algebra. That is going to be what will raise your score the most.
    HeatwaveDave

--
    07 Apr 2005 12:34 PM
    i took my asvab, and scored a 77
    nwcoastiewife

--
    08 Apr 2005 03:14 AM
    My husband got a 77 to and that allowed him to choose from all jobs MST too but he chose OS.
    HeatwaveDave

--
    04 May 2005 12:03 AM
    he must have done a little better in the science parts..
    chewyboyny

--
    06 May 2005 01:17 AM
    i am also on my way to cape may july 12, can't wait
    RogerOut167

--
    12 Jun 2005 06:04 AM
    if you're a decent swimmer, don't worry about that, after the initial swim qual, you might swim twice more just for exercie. running is very limited in CG boot camp, just be in decent shape. the exercies you should be doing till it hurts are pushups, situps, rowers and squats. bring a good pair of mostly white running shoes, nothing too colorful or fancy, and they must be fairly new and very CLEAN or you will not be allowed to take them with you past forming. the standard issued running shoes (go fasters) are $5 new balances you will wear often and are not very comfortable. this also helps when everyones shoes are tied into a big knot, you can find yours that much faster. Also, wear warmups to boot camp as you wont get your official sweats till late in the second day, you'll be sleeping in whatever you wear the first night and wearing it again the next day. The most difficult thing about CG boot camp is sleep deprivation. You are allotted a full 8 hours, minus watches, collateral duties, and fun surprises you'll find out more about in weeks 2 and 3. Keep your eyes in the boat, sound off, don't volunteer and don't let the CC's figure out who you are and you'll do fine. Good Luck.
    HeatwaveDave

--
    06 Jul 2005 07:10 PM
    great...i have only been running and swimming...and haventr been doing many pushups...however i am in decent shape.....so theytie all ourshoes together huh?
    C-Angel

--
    08 Jul 2005 08:03 PM
    jumpin So we can buy our own shoes to bring to BC? How much "white" do they need to be?
    HeatwaveDave

--
    08 Jul 2005 08:58 PM
    mine are grey and mostly navy new balances...hope they are ok because they are very comfortable
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement