Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
When do I swear in/contract?
Last Post 02 May 2019 01:33 PM by Old Guard2. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
cliffordthebigreddog

--
01 Apr 2019 11:07 PM
    Some people on this forum have answered my questions before about the process of recruiting and waivers and all that fun stuff, and id like to start off by thanking those people for their help and their answers. Id also like to state that my waivers have come through, and I have been cleared to join the Coast Guard. I could not be happier and more relieved that this is finally starting to happen. With that being said, when do I swear in/contract? Ive taken the ASVAB, passed MEPS, and gotten my waivers approved and have been cleared to join the USCG. Im just a little confused on what happens now. My recruiter was a little confusing on the topic and every time I ask him about it, it doesnt get any clearer. I was under the impression that once I passed MEPs and got my waivers I was going to swear in/contract, and enter DEP, but according to my recruiter, nothing is happening until September? Is that normal for the Coast Guard to wait that long to swear in a new recruit? Im going based off the knowledge I have of my brother and sister who swore in the day they passed MEPs. They went Navy and Air Force and I know every branch is different, I just find it weird that I'm having to wait 5-6 months before I even swear in and enter DEP.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    04 Apr 2019 07:56 PM
    Something isn't right. There's no reason why you should be waiting five months. You need to pin your recruiter down to an answer. You need to find out exactly why there's a five month wait. Ask him/her point blank, "Why am I having to wait five months to sign my enlistment papers and enter DEP?" If you don't get an understandable answer, then you should contact the Recruiter in Charge. The CG is taking a Hell of a chance by making you wait that amount of time, since you don't belong to them in any way.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    cliffordthebigreddog

--
    02 May 2019 10:52 AM
    I called my recruiter and pinned him down to an answer and I got September. He says we are waiting for a green light, and a spot to open up in order to swear me in. So it looks like it will be a 4-5 month waiting period until i swear in. I got the reassurance from him that I wont be screwed over or passed over, and I will be sworn in and ship out. That was my biggest worry was doing all this work and not getting it. With that being said, its still weird to me that they'd wait that long before DEPing me (or anyone for that matter) but I don't make the choices.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    02 May 2019 11:18 AM
    I'm still not understanding the time to wait to swear in. If you swear in now, it counts towards your time served if you get out after 4 and are on the IRR for 4 years. I know you can only be in DEP for 12 months, so if you weren't shipping out until next May, maybe they don't swear you in until September so there is room in case something happens. But why wouldn't they just go ahead and do it now?? Seems odd but if you're confident with your recruiter, that's ok too then!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    cliffordthebigreddog

--
    02 May 2019 11:29 AM
    Im not sure why either. He keeps saying that I'm his top priority and everything since Ive been in the enlistment process for over a year now. Ive switched recruiters from Detroit to Philly and all that. Its not so much the confidence I have in my recruiter, its more of a he's told me all he is willing. Ive asked him a few times and the response has been the same every time. My roommate at my hotel at MEPs is going through the same thing. He's out of the same Coast Guard office as me in Philly, just a different recruiter, and he passed MEPS over a month ago and he hasn't sworn in either. Says his recruiter is telling him he's having to wait as well, so I'm not the only one in the same boat.
    cliffordthebigreddog

--
    02 May 2019 11:58 AM
    Should I be worried? Is this a red flag? I believe my recruiter because he seems pretty honest. From what I gathered CG recruiters don't usually lie or misguide one. They tell it how it is. His story never changes and he's never done anything to steer me or misguide me wrongly. But is this a sign that I could be screwed over in the end? I don't mind waiting until September to swear in. I just want to know that when September rolls around, it'll happen and I wont just be left out to dry. I plan on doing this as my career. Im not going to be a 4 a done kind of person. The plan is 20+ years, I don't see myself doing anything else in my life. Thats the biggest reason why Im so worried about this. To come this far and possibly not get it is scary to me.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    02 May 2019 01:33 PM
    It is just perplexing. I wouldn't think that it is a "left out to dry" thing. Maybe things in recruiting have just changed. I don't know if we have any current recruiters on the forum right now or not. I know we have a boatload (no pun intended) of former recruiters. But if things have changed, their opinion might not be valid at this point, just as mine might not be valid right now. I think you're fine, it is just a head scratcher but I think you are just fine.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement