Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Military Enlistment Redux
Last Post 13 May 2019 11:40 AM by Old Guard2. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
doggygirl

--
13 May 2019 09:53 AM
    Hi All:

I've been lurking around your forum reading as much as I can for the past 8 months. I was sworn back into service for the second time on May 3rd of this year. It started back in September of last year when I had this crazy idea to try to re-enlist, likely a combination of existential/mid-life/retirement-reality-check crisis. I chose the Coast Guard Reserves because I want to keep my civilian job (I work for the City), and I wanted to try something similar to the Navy (I was active duty Navy for 6 years from 1994-2000) but still learn something new. My prior service dates, and the fact that I've been approved for an age waiver this time around, are all I'm going to say about my age. I'll let you do the math...and yes, I really am that old  

From that first recruiter visit, through taking the ASVAB again, spending a day at MEPS with kids that weren't even born yet when I went to MEPS for my first enlistment, and endless calls to my doctors for medical records releases, I finally have orders in hand: I ship to DEPOT on June 2nd and to MST "A" School in Yorktown on September 30th, and I have an assignment to my local sector afterwards. I sincerely expected to be shut down at each hiccup in this process, and somehow, here I still am. 

I've dog-eared my poor Helmsman to death re-learning my General Orders (it's been 25 years!), and the CG Ethos which is new to me. I can confidently pass the PT with a good buffer of just under a minute on the run (if I hustle hard, like I have a CC yelling me) and an additional handful of sit-ups/push-ups over the minimum. I have only 2lbs to drop before I'm under the weight limit max, which shouldn't be a problem in the next 3 weeks to my ship date. Over the past two decades, working out has been my hobby and my idea of a good time, but so has dessert so I've had to tighten up my eating recently. 

Some of my reading on your forum shows me I have some additional learning to do as well; I am not at all familiar with CG history, ships, etc. And the Navy never taught me to describe rank insignia on command, but at least it's identical across the two branches so that's a start...All I can say is THANK GOD for the Internet this time around. I feel much more prepared than I did in 1994, armed with the collective knowledge and experience of internet users. 

In short, I think I have it under control and yet I'm still convinced this opportunity is going to be somehow snatched away from me at the last moment. I am excited, thrilled, eager, confused, and terrified beyond belief at what I've gotten myself into. I can't wait for the chance to prove to myself that I'm even better than I was 25 years ago. At the same time, I'm a realist and have a healthy sense of self-doubt, and an inner voice that's wondering what's wrong with me and why I couldn't just leave well-enough alone. All I know is, there is something in me that still wants to serve, to learn new things and grow, and to step out of my middle-aged comfort zone...maybe just a toe or two out, anyway. 

I'm just glad to be here~

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    13 May 2019 11:40 AM
    Welcome aboard and best of luck. My ex husband served 30 years in the CG in the M Field. He started as am MST and retired an O6, always in the M Field. the only time he ever set foot on a boat was OCS long cruise. You will love the M Field! The motto is "We have to go to lunch but we don't have to come back!"
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement