Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Cannabis Dispensary Owner
Last Post 04 Jun 2019 10:10 PM by MtnLion. 18 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
MtnLion

--
30 May 2019 12:55 AM
    Hello Coasties! I aspire to join as an Officer Reservist because I am confident I will perform well. However, I have reasonable concern that because I am a legally-licensed cannabis delivery-dispensary owner, that I may disqualify for eligibility. Would this be a major issue? I wanted to post here, perhaps you guys can guide me a little or offer some advice before I officially talk to a recruiter. I am 30 years old, law abiding, able pass a criminal background check and drug test, college educated, physically and mentally fit, and ready to serve my country. My intentions with this post are in all seriousness, I would appreciate any sarcastic or backhand comments to be withheld (i.e "Should have thought of that before you opened a dispensary..."). Thank you guys for any advice or recommendations, I appreciate you taking the time to help answer my question.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    30 May 2019 05:57 AM
    LOL You said you WOULD appreciate any sarcastic or backhand comments. I have a feeling you meant wouldn't! I just thought that was funny. On to the more serious business... If you legally own a legal company what's the problem? I mean I get the point that the CG stops drugs from coming into the country but those are illegal drugs. There are probably still illegally dealt drugs in states where it is legalized (although I can't imagine why). I can see where there could be a conflict of interest, in some bizarre roundabout way. But I think your best bet is to call the recruiter and talk to them. Again, legally owned business, you pay taxes, you aren't using the stuff (that would be a problem for anyone even in legalized states), I don't see where this should be an issue. If it is an issue, what's the worst that happens? The CG says thanks but no thanks. They don't put you in front of a firing squad for asking! (That's my little sarcasm for you ) Best of luck!

On another note... Is that a very profitable business? I imagine it would be but then I imagine anything can be if worked properly.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    MtnLion

--
    31 May 2019 11:00 AM
    It is legal on a state level (CA), however the federal government still scrutinizes the legal cannabis industry. To give a good example, the current administration repealed the 'Cole Memorandum' which stated that the Feds would not regulate legal cannabis unless at the request of the State. Another example, cannabis businesses still cannot open bank accounts in the name that business is licensed under due to regulations under the FDIC because it's federal. Just to give a slight idea of the political relationship with the Feds. I have also heard of Veterans losing benefits because they got a job in the cannabis industry (..article pasted below. What are your thoughts?). I certainly wouldn't want to commit and train if I were to just be discharged later on. And by "not using the stuff" I mean I can pass a drug test by the time I join Lets just say, I would not consume again if it meant I got to saves lives. Would recent past use be an issue for joining Reserves so long as I can pass a drug test every time?

And to be honest no, legal cannabis it is only profitable for the Feds, the State, and local counties because it is way over-taxed, leaving very little room for businesses to flourish as they should. Legalization has ironically only made it more profitable for those still participating in the blackmarket. Sometimes I go as far as to think legalization was all a scam because they said, "First give us all your money to get legal... Now give us all the money you make from sales...." But I'd rather be poor and free than rich and in jail. However, I am confident the taxes will be lowered here in CA over the next few years, like they did in CO.

I will talk to a recruiter and just be honest with them. I talked to my retired Army buddy and he said it would just depend on the Commander; and that I could probably interview with him and it would just depend on if he liked or wanted me or not haha.

Thank you.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeadams/2019/05/07/cannabis-industry-work-costing-u-s-veterans-their-retirement-pension/#5f4c9fe43220
    MtnLion

--
    31 May 2019 11:08 AM
    Its funny, on a side note I just realized how it could actually be of collaborative interest (as opposed to conflict of interest) because as a legal cannabis business owner, I actually want to prevent as much drugs and dirty illegal weed from coming across the border as possible because it directly protects the interests of my business haha. Never really thought of that in detail, now I'm even more motivated to join!!!
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    31 May 2019 01:35 PM
    Regarding your remark about joining the Reserves. Understand the CGR has the same recruitment standards as the Active Duty side of the house.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    MtnLion

--
    31 May 2019 01:51 PM
    Got it. Thank you.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    01 Jun 2019 10:47 AM
    You'll have to let us know how it goes. Your legal dispensory is still federally illegal and the Coast Guard is a federal agency. I don't think the Federal Govt. will see your dispensary as a collaborative interest. I feel that would be like saying moving your legal brothel from Nevada to California would be a hit with the California government because it would lower prostitution. The legal brothel is still illegal in CA. Just like the legal dispensary is still federally illegal.

And yes, past usage of marijuana will be an issue with most recruiters. There are college educated, mentally, and physically fit candidates that have zero history of marijuana use and don't run a federally illegal business. Thats a pretty big chance they would have to take on you and it may not even be a chance they are allowed to take. I don't see marijuana becoming federally legal for a long time. Im just trying to be honest with you here. The Coast Guard is constantly having issues with members using drugs and I don't even think they would be allowed to take a chance on you. I don't think they would consider it no matter how likable you are or physically fit.
    CCCSD

--
    01 Jun 2019 04:23 PM
    If you were to arrest drug smugglers, and it was brought out in court that you were selling dope, it would be easy to show that your true agenda may be trying to create business to enrich yourself...

The CG has a MISSION to stop drugs. Period.

MtnLion

--
    01 Jun 2019 10:25 PM
    Thank you for the input.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    03 Jun 2019 07:52 AM
    I think the "collaborative interest" was a tongue in cheek thing. Let's not take everything so incredibly serious. I mean, it could have been but something tells me it was a joke.

I really am interested in seeing what is said and how it goes. Please keep us informed. Thanks.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    CCCSD

--
    03 Jun 2019 08:45 AM
    Dealing with these owners, I’ve seen how greedy they get and how competitive.
    I’m just wondering what qualities this person brings to the table that would qualify them for a Commission.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    03 Jun 2019 11:26 AM
    I've met some officers that I wonder the same damn thing. What the hell exactly qualified them for a commission?
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    MtnLion

--
    03 Jun 2019 11:49 AM
    Yes the collaborative interest thing was definitely a joke. Wouldn't make any difference to me or my business, I'm just a tiny drop in a giant ocean.

Competitive? Extremely. Greedy? Not a greedy bone in my body. That's why I am the lowest paid of every literally every single one my staff. And that's also why I want to join the CGR. You think I want to do it for the pay?? Over time, I would probably make more money being safe at home, but as aforementioned, its not about the money (maybe the healthcare, at best!). I want to put everything on the line to go save lives. Period. Certainly sounds greedy.

Allow me to take this as an opportunity to share what kind of qualities I have from being a small business owner: exceptional leadership skills; the ability to assemble, organize and lead a team to execute objectives. The ability to communicate effectively and clearly. To be able to take a significant loss or misfortune and have the drive to bounce right back because you will lose everything if you don't. The motivation and discipline to work 80 hour weeks to where instead of getting paid, it actually costs money. The confidence it takes to forge your own path when everyone tells you not to, because you have the balls to follow what you believe in your heart. The ability to take something that someone sees as impossible and bring it to fruition. The passion to fight for my rights and what I believe in. Being very aware that a small detail can have significant costs. A person who follows the law. The ability to take a vision and follow through it make it a reality. The ability to "wear all the hats". The ability to accept the faults and failures of your team and realize, as a leader, that that ultimately falls on you every time. If you still question what kind of qualities I bring to the table, lets hear it.

Although I would be excited for the life experience and challenges met while in CG, I am not doing this for the experience or pay. I am 30 years old. Many may look to join the military for the life experience; however my life experience has led me to seek to join the CG. Everything in my life has culminated to turning me into, what I think, someone who would do exceptionally well in the CGR. I simply want to do it because I think I would excel at it. I am a very firm believer that if you posses the ABILITY, then you have the RESPONSIBILITY. CGR will further enable me be a living representation of that. I was blessed to be given this mind, body, and skill set, and I want to use it to save lives.
    MtnLion

--
    03 Jun 2019 12:33 PM
    Relative headline that just came out today: "Disabled Veteran Denied Mortgage at VA for Working at a Dispensary"

https://greenrushdaily.com/news/disabled-veteran-denied-mortgage-at-va-for-working-at-a-dispensary/?fbclid=IwAR1CDt4oP5XJuHFrE3JTHXeulGBatPgdM66S_JIHcoEEDhrm7xl7CRCt96w
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    03 Jun 2019 02:19 PM
    Hey I'm not questioning your integrity, judgement, your soundness of mind, or anything else. Its not our place to judge or question that. Just help out with answers. I read the article you posted. Its a bummer people aren't getting the benefits they worked for and expect. The only discrepancy is that the VA is a federally funded agency and selling marijuana is federally illegal. The articles keep saying fully legal but that's not 100% accurate. The "state legal and "federally illegal" line really complicates things in the situation. I would say its not fully legal until its federally and state legal. I could be wrong. If you are breaking the rules of the people that pay you, you may not get all the benefits. As a dispensary owner do you have rules for your employees that other dispensaries may not have? Or visa versa?

It looks like you have examples of how you will be treated if the federal government will let you work for them. I guess my advice would be not to be surprised if you are allowed to work and then do not receive VA benefits. No matter how much anybody tries to convince the government that state laws make things legal, it only makes them legal for that state. If the CGR doesn't allow you to work for them, hopefully you can find another way to use your mind, body, and skillset save lives or find more purpose. I wish you all the luck with your endeavors. Let us know how it turns out. This is a first I've heard of this situation.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    03 Jun 2019 02:30 PM
    Even if the state allows it, my husband is a forklift driver. If we lived in a legalized state and he got in an accident and had to go for a wiz quiz, he would fail. That would be grounds for immediate dismissal even though the state says it is legal. So there are all sorts of little loop holes here and there.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    CCCSD

--
    03 Jun 2019 04:32 PM
    I don’t see a single qualifying thing the OP has listed that would be a start for a Commission, Reserve or AD. Many hurdles to cross.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    04 Jun 2019 06:36 AM
    As I've stated previously, I have met some officers that weren't qualified to tie their own shoes. Unless you are making the ultimate decision on his enlisting or commissioning, I don't think he has to outline his qualifications for you. He is asking if owning his particular line of business will possibly disqualify him from service. How about we stick to the point here.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    MtnLion

--
    04 Jun 2019 10:10 PM
    I hope to see you out there one day. Thank you to the rest of you.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement