Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
More info on SRDC needed
Last Post 03 Sep 2019 02:24 PM by Ljcalimano. 13 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
PriorQM

--
04 Jun 2019 12:55 PM
    Hi all! 

I am working towards an application for SRDC. One thing that is not entirely clear to me is this:

Is the SRDC program really on 3 weeks long? That seems very short. Is there not a pre qualifying program, like OCS that needs to be completed first? Or is it really only 3 weeks of training after one is selected to attend?

Thank you!

(Any additional info about reserve officer duties is always appreciated)
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    04 Jun 2019 06:17 PM
    No. It's three weeks. It's the commissioning program for officers going into the SELRES. One of the prerequisites to apply is that one be prior service, or currently in the Reserve, thus taking care of the pre qualifying issue you mention.

There are no underway billets for SELRES officers. They are all shore assignments.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    PriorQM

--
    04 Jun 2019 07:04 PM
    Thank you chief! You are a great resource, so if you don’t mind, I’d like to take advantage of your attention. 

What do you mean by there are no underway billets? Reserve officers never get underway? Or do you mean that they do not get attached to ship? 
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    04 Jun 2019 08:14 PM
    Correct on both. It's too difficult to keep all your quals current, not to mention that it would be a logistical nightmare to get someone out to a cutter for two days (or even two weeks) and then come retrieve them. As a CGR officer, you can expect to do tours in expeditionary warfare units, CG Sectors, perhaps an Intel assignment somewhere. Also be aware that, unlike enlisted personnel, officers are subject to assignment anywhere in the US. Travel is on your dime, but the CG will provide lodging.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    PriorQM

--
    04 Jun 2019 08:28 PM
    Posted By CPORJM on 04 Jun 2019 09:14 PM
    Correct on both. It's too difficult to keep all your quals current, not to mention that it would be a logistical nightmare to get someone out to a cutter for two days (or even two weeks) and then come retrieve them. As a CGR officer, you can expect to do tours in expeditionary warfare units, CG Sectors, perhaps an Intel assignment somewhere. Also be aware that, unlike enlisted personnel, officers are subject to assignment anywhere in the US. Travel is on your dime, but the CG will provide lodging.

Would you say that the chances of getting attached to an expeditionary unit. like a PSU unit is high? 

How long are officers attached to a unit in the reserves? In the Navy, an officer was with the unit for what seemed like forever, some guys for 10 years+
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    04 Jun 2019 09:07 PM
    It's practically a guarantee you'll go to an expeditionary unit, either a PSU or CORIVRON (Joint USCG-USN unit, used to be called Naval Coastal Warfare units) as a first or second assignment. As far as tour length, you're looking at about four years, possibly less if you promote.
    BuckyCop

--
    03 Jul 2019 06:31 AM
    SRDC/ROCI is changing to a 5 week course beginning FY20. This class that just graduated on June 28th was the last 3 week class.

The class that just graduated had about 1/3 of personnel going to PSU's, no one to CORIVRON (billeted for a second tour+ assignment at the O3 level). The rest went to Sector/MSD/MSU/Cyber/Intel for a blue/red tour. If you want to promote you realistically need to do a green tour at a PSU/CORIVRON/CORIVGRU early in your career. Chances of going to a green unit at the O4 level if you make it that far are slim. If you want to go to a PSU for a first tour, you are basically guaranteed. They need JO's. Each tour in the Reserves as an officer is 3 years right now. You can put in to short tour or to extend, but neither are guarantees.

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    03 Jul 2019 09:49 AM
    Posted By BuckyCop on 03 Jul 2019 07:31 AM
    SRDC/ROCI is changing to a 5 week course beginning FY20. This class that just graduated on June 28th was the last 3 week class.

The class that just graduated had about 1/3 of personnel going to PSU's, no one to CORIVRON (billeted for a second tour+ assignment at the O3 level). The rest went to Sector/MSD/MSU/Cyber/Intel for a blue/red tour. If you want to promote you realistically need to do a green tour at a PSU/CORIVRON/CORIVGRU early in your career. Chances of going to a green unit at the O4 level if you make it that far are slim. If you want to go to a PSU for a first tour, you are basically guaranteed. They need JO's. Each tour in the Reserves as an officer is 3 years right now. You can put in to short tour or to extend, but neither are guarantees.

Good update!
    CCCSD

--
    03 Jul 2019 11:51 AM
    So....taking longer to learn which fork and spoon to use?
    BuckyCop

--
    04 Jul 2019 05:23 PM
    I know that is a joke, but one of the things I was disappointed about going through ROCI was the etiquette class is no longer a thing. Apparently the older woman who taught the class has retired and there is no replacement, so I will always eat like an enlisted peasant
    CCCSD

--
    04 Jul 2019 08:21 PM
    Bwahahahaha!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    17 Jul 2019 12:05 PM
    Oh man, back in the day, and I'm talking it was 1990, even the spouses attended fork & knife school! Pretty handy for us Mustang wives that never saw forks before! LOL

Although, I do remember as a brand new shiny Ensign's wife, I was off to my first OWC meeting. Yes, segregation at it's finest, the OFFICERS Wives Club, damn how things have changed. Anyway... I called the woman who was hosting the meeting. I didn't know her from Adam, they just told me her name was Nancy. I said "How will I know which house is yours?" She lived on base in housing, I did not. She said "Dear, it is the largest white house with all the flags flying in front of it." I was talking to the D8 Admiral's wife. Welcome to the world of the Officer's Wives Club. I may have been in enlisted wife for almost 6 years but that didn't mean I cut the mustard with the O Wives.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    karc

--
    20 Aug 2019 04:25 PM
    I have a question regarding the officer physical. I was told by my recruiter that some of the MTF were refusing to do the officer physicals for reservist unless they were on orders or had an approved RMP. He also told me I could go through MEPs. Anyone have any recent experience with this?

Edit:
    Also, anyone have any idea how long the physicals are valid? I don't want to get it done too early.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ljcalimano

--
    03 Sep 2019 02:24 PM
    I can see how that can be misleading/misunderstood. The medical exam done at the clinic is somewhat very similar (if not exactly the same) to the PHA. The clinic only does it for active duty members, which is why they may ask you to be on orders or have an RMP approved. When I did my medical exam the recruiter called the clinic and explained that it was for an officer package and not to meet PHA requirements on my end. I was only allowed to put in for a drill with no pay. I have not heard of anyone having to go through MEPS for this since I am assuming you are a member already. 

The physicals are good for two years. The same goes for your panel interview. 
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement