Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Transitioning from LE to USCG
Last Post 22 Jun 2019 10:30 AM by stealthtt24. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Sentll556

--
19 Jun 2019 05:56 PM

Hello I recently decided I am done with the politics of the Police world, and dealing with city councils and everything going on.

A little background on me, Police Officer for 7 years (28y.o) 2 years on a multi agency SWAT team. Field Training Officer. School Resource Officer.

What I like / am looking for. I like the versatility of the Coast Guard, and their mission as a whole. I am most interested in being an ME / BM. I am unable to find very good specific information on how to get into this. Are these positions "specialty" type positions that require experience in another MOS to transfer into? Or can you sign up to specifically get these jobs?

What is life like in the Coast Guard? How do Deployments work / stations. I currently live in KCMO and ideally would get stationed somewhere like FL or TX or MS.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    19 Jun 2019 06:42 PM
    First let me say thank you for your service in the police department. It is greatly admired and appreciated.

ME & BM have a lot of similarities and a lot of differences. All you need to do is take the ASVAB and get a qualifying score and you can be one of those ratings. You will also need to not be colorblind. No experience needed, you will get on the job training. You'll have some great qualifications going in but you'll have 18 year olds that are barely out of mom and dad's that will be in your class.

Life in the CG is truly what you make it. If you are unhappy and generally miserable, life is going to suck. If you can make even a bad situation bearable and always look for the fun and good in a situation, you can have an excellent career. You can have some pretty amazing adventures and go places right now you've not even really considered. To say oh sure, you'll get one of those states, would be a gross miscarriage to you. (Kinda like "these aren't my pants sir") Out of boot camp you go where needed, that might be there, it might be Alaska, Hawaii, Maine, Minnesota or Guam! Who knows! But again, good attitude and you can have a blast!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Sentll556

--
    19 Jun 2019 06:48 PM
    Do you have any idea on how they do stationing selection? Is it based off your scores in boot camp and the highest get to choose?

How do they go about being an Officer? I am about a year short of my BA degree, and would ideally like to get into some kind of program where I can sign up as an Officer and finish my degree while in.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    19 Jun 2019 07:43 PM
    A little on me so you know where I'm coming from. I have over 30 years LE experience in So. Cal, and nearly 20 in the CG Reserve. I'll be retiring from both at the end of this year. That being said, understand law enforcement in the CG is VERY different than what you're used to in the civilian world. Even after all my time in the CGR, the great majority of it doing law enforcement/criminal investigations, I still scratch my head at some of the things the CG does.

BM is probably one of the most versatile ratings (not MOS, that's an Army/USMC term) in the CG, but any rating will allow you to do law enforcement. Don't think that you HAVE to be an ME or BM to do that.

As for first duty station out of boot camp, you'll put in a wish list and you may get one of your choices. Test scores, standing, etc has nothing to do with it. Your first duty station is a place to hone your basic CG skills while waiting for orders to A School (the school for your desired rating).

If you want to become an officer, you need to finish your Bachelor's first. You cannot become an officer, then finish your degree. Also know that Officer Candidate School is VERY competitive. Often applicants have to apply more than once before being selected. Also know that, while not required, those with STEM degrees are highly sought.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    CCCSD

--
    19 Jun 2019 08:05 PM
    Would also suggest you skim the CG Officers threads.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    20 Jun 2019 06:59 AM
    I don't know if the rules for OCS have changed, but my ex-husband went to OCS having completed only an Associates degree. He finished his Bachelors after he had gone through OCS. Also completed his Masters while on active duty.  He was active duty at the time, over 5 years in the CG and was a 1st class petty officer, if that changes how things are done at all.  I know walking in off the street, you need your degree to go to OCS.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    20 Jun 2019 07:22 AM
    There is a program for E-5 and above to apply to OCS if they have 30 credits/1 year college and 4 years in (that's a thumbnail). Otherwise, BS or above to apply.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    20 Jun 2019 10:47 AM
    Thanks Aux, I thought there was something in the mix that made him eligible. I do know he was required to complete his Bachelors in X amount of time, whatever that was, I do not remember.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    22 Jun 2019 10:30 AM
    Pm me if you'd like but I was in your same situation. Officer for 5 years and wanted a change, SWAT, etc. Long and short of it is, I don't recommend it. Worked out for me but PM me for info.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement