Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Recruitment Delays
Last Post 26 Jun 2019 07:50 AM by siannarss. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Not Resolved
siannarss

--
25 Jun 2019 07:41 AM
    Good morning,
    How long does the recruiting process usually take?  My son has been in conversations with the recruiting office back and forth since at least April.  As far as we can tell he has followed all the steps correctly first filling out the online questionnaire... never heard back until we called 2 weeks later.  Then they asked him to do it again because they didn't have it. He did it and then never heard again. He then called the office and spoke to someone else who sent him the prospect form to fill out and fax.  We completed it in a timely manner and never heard anything back.  Until my son emailed after a week and a half just to see if it had been received. He got email back noting that the recruiter had just gotten back that he had been at a school that he would get caught up then look at it.  My son finally heard from him saying he received it and wanted to set up a time to come in.  Now my son and he are playing phone tag since the office is open 8-4 and my son works from 7:30-5.  No one has even tried to meet him.
    I completely understand there is a process involved that there are people doing there job to the best of their ability but it seems amazing that it is taking this long just to start the process. I realized that recruiters are understaffed and over worked but there is a person coming to them just to start the process it just seems odd.
    Anyway how long does it typically take to get scheduled for the ASVAB and Medical screening... or just to talk to someone in person?  
    My son is a recent high school graduate, no medical issues, no arrests, no piercings, no tattoos, no drugs, no wife, no kids, a 3.9, varsity lacrosse player, varsity soccer player, member of NHS, it seems as though there is some communication issue or delay that we are not aware of.  Any recommendations would be welcome.
    Thank you in advance for your time.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    25 Jun 2019 12:12 PM
    Depending upon where you are located, this is truly most of the US, one recruiting office can cover 2 or 3 states, sometimes more. It is also the start of transfer season. So the office may have recruiters coming in and going out and there may be a lapse between the 2. Meaning an office normally staffed with 4 recruiters is suddenly staffed with 3 and another is on leave, so that's 2, they are trying to make sure the recruits that are leaving, have all their paperwork completed. New prospects, are a little further down the food chain. Phone tag is not uncommon, it just takes repeated attempts. Your son should leave a very specific message as far as "I take lunch and can be fully available from X time to Y time" Also remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease, which you have already sort of seen. You send things in, don't hear, call, and you get an answer. Your son needs to keep his name front and center in their eyes, if that means calling once a week, do it.

The CG, in general, can sometimes be woefully understaffed. Recruiting probably more so than any other area. How far is the recruiting office from you? Can your son miss a day of work and make an appointment to go in. Don't wait to be invited in, call and say "I would like to come in and have a face to face." They don't know your son, they don't know anyone until the process plays itself out. So the fact he has all these stellar experiences, they don't know if he has that or the exact opposite. Stay on them, it is worth it, but it does take time. I have heard of some recruits getting everything done in less time than you have invested right now... I have heard some recruits say it took them a year to get everything processed and leave for boot. Best of luck. Be in their face but be gentle about it. Your son wants them to remember him but not think he is pushy. It's a delicate balance.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    25 Jun 2019 05:31 PM
    Your son will probably need to take a day off of work to meet the recruiter at the office. When I was enlisting I lived 3 hours from the recruiting office. I took a day off work and worked with the recruiter to meet in person that day. Everything else was just over the phone and I showed up to MEPS on the day my recruiter scheduled for me. Just maintain constant communication with the recruiter, I emailed mine anytime I mailed something to him, and asked if he received it a few days later. Your son needs to be proactive with the process.
    siannarss

--
    26 Jun 2019 07:50 AM
    Good morning,

Thank you very much for all the support and information. I will give my son the feedback and encourage him to respect the recruiters time while also communicate effectively. We certainly don't want to be missing something on our end that we could be doing or helping with.

Thank you again!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement