Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
travel assistance for mk school
Last Post 05 Aug 2019 08:18 PM by Bells. 20 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
kungfumonk007

--
13 Jul 2019 07:31 PM
    Obviously they will get me a plane ticket but can I opt for a car instead?  Is there any assistance or options I should be aware of?  It is a 13 wk program so I know it isn't a move but just seeing what my options are.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    13 Jul 2019 10:24 PM
    The only time you'd get a rental car would be if it was the same cost or cheaper than a plane ticket. I guarantee a rental for 13 weeks isn't going to be cheaper than a round trip flight.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    14 Jul 2019 09:39 AM
    This is a question you should talk to your yeoman about when you get your orders. But as chief said if the rental car is cheaper than a flight then sure it could be authorized as transportation to and from A-School only, any rental during A-School will be at your own cost. While you are in A-School you will just have to depend on Uber or your classmates to get rides off base. As for assistance you will get per diem during your travel days to and from A-School plus a meals and incidentals entitlement during your time in A-School which is around 5 dollars per day if you are there TDY. Everything the government sends you to will be the cheapest possible for the government and not always the most convenient to you.
    kungfumonk007

--
    15 Jul 2019 08:48 PM
    I don't know how a 1 way rental for a few days to move would translate into a 13 week rental. I think I could find 1 way rentals for the same prevailing price as a plane ticket - but is that how it works or do they have contracts with certain vendors - as in it would have to be with a certain rental company compared to a certain airline.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    15 Jul 2019 09:19 PM
    A rental must be approved by the Authorizing Official on your orders. A rental must be advantageous to the government in terms of cost and travel time. Driving means more travel days, more per diem and more malt, so the cost may be higher than you think. The Coast Guard will reimburse the cost of renting a compact car, they dont rent the car for you, you have to do it.
    Section 020209 of the JTR manual describes rentals in more detail. But only your yeoman can give you an answer to whether you can get a rental or not.
    kungfumonk007

--
    16 Jul 2019 06:47 PM
    Thanks!  Looks like rentals are more expensive than I hoped for one way so it looks like I will just drive myself in my own car.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    17 Jul 2019 10:17 AM
    I can understand wanting YOUR car. But why would you want to drive a rental and have no car? At that point, wouldn't it be easier to fly?
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    kungfumonk007

--
    18 Jul 2019 08:27 PM
    My wife and kids plan on getting a short term lease for that time period so we would pack super light enough to fit 2 cars ,o).  But I did look and 1 way rentals that distance are an arm and a leg - way more expensive than I anticipated.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    18 Jul 2019 09:42 PM
    If it's cheaper for the CG to buy you a plane ticket than to pay you mileage to drive your personal vehicle, then that's what's going to happen and your family will have to get themselves there.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    19 Jul 2019 10:17 AM
    Honestly, I would have your family stay where they are, you go to school and when completed, all move to the next location. I did it for MST A School, I remained in Kodiak, Alaska; he went to Yorktown, VA. Guess where we were assigned after A School? Kodiak, Alaska. I would have moved to Virginia just to turn myself around and move right back to where I was. I was going to do it again when he went to OCS. Still on Kodiak for me and back to Yorktown for him (OCS was in Yorktown 29 years ago). I decided instead to go home to my parents but ONLY because he started OCS in the fall, it was 17 weeks and I would be alone for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and just in Alaska alone in the winter. The CG gave us the option for him to TAD to OCS or PCS out of Alaska. We took the PCS and I went home.

School is for you to study, learn, work with shipmates. Your family will manage while you are there. Just my 2 cents. I don't think families should disrupt the school and the learning. It's military, separation happens.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    19 Jul 2019 03:45 PM
    Posted By Old Guard2 on 19 Jul 2019 10:17 AM
    Honestly, I would have your family stay where they are, you go to school and when completed, all move to the next location. I did it for MST A School, I remained in Kodiak, Alaska; he went to Yorktown, VA. Guess where we were assigned after A School? Kodiak, Alaska. I would have moved to Virginia just to turn myself around and move right back to where I was. I was going to do it again when he went to OCS. Still on Kodiak for me and back to Yorktown for him (OCS was in Yorktown 29 years ago). I decided instead to go home to my parents but ONLY because he started OCS in the fall, it was 17 weeks and I would be alone for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and just in Alaska alone in the winter. The CG gave us the option for him to TAD to OCS or PCS out of Alaska. We took the PCS and I went home.

School is for you to study, learn, work with shipmates. Your family will manage while you are there. Just my 2 cents. I don't think families should disrupt the school and the learning. It's military, separation happens.

He's a Reservist. so he'll be going home after A school, which makes your point even more valid. For the OP, if you can't be away from your family for 13 weeks of A school, what are you going to do when you get activated for 60 days, or 6 months, or a year and sent to the other side of the country? The CG isn't going to move your family because it's not a PCS (Permanent Change of Station) move.
    kungfumonk007

--
    29 Jul 2019 12:23 PM
    We won't be going home after "A" school - I have no "real" job so we will live like gypsies which suits us well. We can pick and go anywhere anytime :o) Kids will be homeschooled, I am a traveling musician - we go wherever the gig takes us.
    CCCSD

--
    29 Jul 2019 12:46 PM
    Posted By kungfumonk007 on 29 Jul 2019 12:23 PM
    We won't be going home after "A" school - I have no "real" job so we will live like gypsies which suits us well. We can pick and go anywhere anytime :o) Kids will be homeschooled, I am a traveling musician - we go wherever the gig takes us.

There is no “gig” for Reservists. You drill at the unit you are assigned. Just in case you missed that part.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    29 Jul 2019 04:06 PM
    As a reservist you go back home to your local unit for drilling. Also you failed to mention you are a reservist in your original post. As a reservist you are only entitled to a free GTR ticket for travel, you will not be reimbursed for any other method of travel to A School.
    kungfumonk007

--
    02 Aug 2019 11:02 AM
    GIG - what a traveling musician does - as I pointed out in my post I am a traveling musician - hence I go where the gig takes me. If I do summer stock or take any other temporary orders we would all travel to the location of those as well. Since this is already what we do it is not a problem. I appreciate all the real knowledge I get on this forum but the pretense of babying me is a little too much. 39 yr old successful professional. Aced the asvab, have a masters degree, I am well aware of the circumstances of my life and what I signed up for. I may not know everything about the administrative side of the military but that doesn't mean I need to be babied.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    02 Aug 2019 11:10 AM
    KungFu, trust me, there is ZERO babying on this forum. Personally, I think Husker was pretty easy going in his response. Pretty sure we all know what a GIG is, we don't need babying either. Husker was simply pointing out that while you are out gypsying around the country, you may need to return to your home base to serve your weekend or 2 weeks. This is something you need to be aware of. You can't call and say Hey man, I'm in Louisiana this week, can I just drill here instead of coming back to Los Angeles? or wherever home is. Also, he isn't wrong that you completely failed to mention you are a reservist. I wouldn't have known unless Chief pointed it out. No one here is babying or demeaning or talking down to anyone... They are here to provide advice and assistance. Nothing that any of us are paid for or compensated in any way. We do it because we care about people going into the CG and make sure they go in with eyes wide open. Sorry you feel as though we are not treating you in the way you believe you should be treated with your Master's Degree and advanced age of 39. I am successful 53 year old professional that was married to a Coastie before you were in grammar school. I also raised a Coastie that has been active duty for over 10 years and would be your superior at only 30 years old and no degree. Tread lightly with the attitude. I'm a Jersey Girl and can dish it out pretty fast when someone here offering help is treated poorly.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    02 Aug 2019 03:34 PM
    Is there a way to give a thumbs up?? LOL! Jersey Girl!!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    02 Aug 2019 06:05 PM
    Sorry if my response came off wrong, tone can be hard to pick up in text. I did kinda state things in a very blunt way. Anyways I work with member travel on a regular basis so if you have any more questions feel free to ask.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    02 Aug 2019 10:22 PM
    If you're not aware, you need to accumulate 50 retirement points each year to qualify that year for retirement, per Federal regs. However, you need to accumulate 70 points per year to meet CG participation requirements. Let's say your home unit is STA Los Angeles-Long Beach and the third weekend of the month is your designated drill weekend. How do you propose to drill if you're performing in Oregon when that weekend rolls around? You can't just show up at STA Chetco River and say "I'm MK3 XXXXX and I want to do some IDT" It doesn't work that way.   You are expected to show up at your unit of assignment for your scheduled drills, unless you request to stack your drills (do several in a row, so you can miss a month), but that's subject to Command approval. If you don't get the required number of points in a year, that year won't count towards retirement and you may be subject to disciplinary action for not meeting participation requirements.

I think you have some unrealistic expectations as to how the CGR can mesh with your professional career a travelling musician.
    CCCSD

--
    03 Aug 2019 03:04 PM
    I don’t think the OP is going to make it. There are additional Drill points needed and he’s not going to be able to do them, nor schools, etc if he’s hopping around on his Gigs. Seems playing music is more important than Serving.

CGR wasn’t created to fulfill a fantasy.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    05 Aug 2019 08:18 PM
    Its pretty normal for them to authorize the travel days, malt, per diem, all of that for a-schoolers. I havn't seen it denied ever. The only time it gets weird is if you get orders really short notice, that the report date doesn't support the full travel time.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement