Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Prior service Navy to USCG Officer
Last Post 28 Jul 2019 11:13 AM by AirDale13. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Rjax

--
26 Jul 2019 05:52 AM
    How's it going everyone, 

So I am not longer active duty after spending 6.5 years active and 2 years in the reserves (leaving as an E-5). My BA will be complete by the end if this year and I will be 29 years old. My record is spotless and I have always had very good Evaluations. I was informed that the chances of coming from civilian to OCS as a prior service is unlikely so I am considering going Enlisted for a few more years before dropping a package to OCS. I was looking for up to date opinions on the reality of this plan. My end goal is to retire as an Officer, and I will take whatever road necessary to see that done. My main questions are what my odds look like statistically. Other questions are related to officer duty. All advice is welcomed though!

1. How hard does it appear for Enlisted with degrees to get picked up for OCS? 
    2. About how long is it before you are allowed to apply? Is there a minimum timeframe?
    2. I will be applying for OCS as a civilian (but my hope's aren't high). Is it a lost cause?
    3. Do you pick a career field at OCS, or is it selected by the needs of the USCG? Does prior service time or prior experience (in say security) help sway the decisions of the detailers??
    4. I want to work in Maratime Security/Law enforcement. I was curious of the officer's role in this job set. I worked as a Navy Corpsman with Marine Recon. So, I have a decent idea of the VBSS type job, but do officers get in the stack at all, or is it 100% command and control? Does this change if you managed to get the opportunity to work with MSRT?
    5. If you end up in a career field you don't enjoy, is it possible to lat-move?

Thanks again, if theres any other general advice or maybe something I haven't thought of please send it. 

Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    28 Jul 2019 11:13 AM
    You'll be applying as a 'civilian' with 8 years of military experience. You'll also have way more military experience than almost every Coastie that would be applying. It's hard for a 22 year old kid who just graduated college to get in - you are not that. I would say your recruiter has given you poor advice. Now IF the CG is the career path you want to pursue AND being an officer is your goal - then enlisting as you apply for OCS is a solid plan. After joining you'd be able to apply till 35 or even 41 depending on your degree type. So eventually becoming an officer is very doable. Now you're over the 6 year prior active service mark and your recruiter didn't turn you away so I'm assuming he knows this. Maybe there is a waiver? Maybe you discussed coming in as a PO or picking a critical rate? Because you will hit high year tenure fast going enlisted. Everything I said was based on you being able to either lateral into a rate as an E4 or going a critical rating. You will need to pick up E5 real quick if you want to compete for OCS-T. OCS-R is till 31, OCS-T is till 35. Same OCS, just that the latter means you'd go back to enlisted if youre a bad actor. Now if none of this was discussed with your recruiter then they didn't do much to help you out. Good luck.
    1. I think you will stand out amongst the applicant pool for OCS-R because of your experience. You have a great opportunity to craft a very strong package.
    2. OCS boards are once every year at the moment.
    3. You would work with a detailer for your first assignment. So yes prior experience helps. Thats where your resume comes in.
    4. Not sure.
    5. It is possible to change career paths but it must be done early on and will require work on your part to get it done.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement