Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Greetings from NYC
Last Post 26 Jul 2019 09:06 PM by RaquelR. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
RaquelR

--
26 Jul 2019 07:25 PM
    Hello there, 
    Raquel here. I started the application process to join the USCG not too long ago (approximately a month ago) and I'm headed to MEPS soon. I have yet to decide if I will be going Reserves or AD, that is if I do not get selected for SLRP. I do have a few concerns. 

I have a dog and if I were to go AD how difficult or easy is it for Coasties to bring their dogs to each station? And if I were not to go AD but Reserves first -- is it difficult to switch over to AD after a while in?

Thank you,

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    26 Jul 2019 08:02 PM
    As I said on your other posts you cant have pets if you live in a barracks, or a cutter and you also cant have your dog if you are on duty at a station. So if you are not married then having a pet is impractical because you dont choose what type of unit you go to when you are active duty and often dont get to choose your living accommodations.

As for switching from reserves to active duty it is possible but not always a guaranteed thing. You need to enlist in the side of the Coast Guard that fits your life best, you shouldn't be thinking about switching from reserve to active before you even join. It's not as simple as saying "I dont like the reserves and I want to switch to active duty". You will be signing a contract and the Coast Guard doesn't have to let you switch.

RaquelR

--
    26 Jul 2019 08:10 PM
    I never mentioned having a dog on this site so you must be mistaking me with someone else. 

Ideally I would want to go AD, but if having my dog at my side is an impossibility then it would have to be Reserves for now. 
    CCCSD

--
    26 Jul 2019 08:21 PM
    It is not easy to transition from Reserves to AD.
    RaquelR

--
    26 Jul 2019 08:45 PM
    Posted By CCCSD on 26 Jul 2019 09:21 PM
    It is not easy to transition from Reserves to AD.

That's what I normally hear and see online, but my Recruiter believes it will be easy(?) So I am just trying to really get an idea of what to expect. 

Do you personally know anyone that wanted to switch from Reserves to AD in the USCG? 
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    26 Jul 2019 08:52 PM
    I am currently in the process of trying to switch a member from reserves to active duty. I can update you on the process and whether it is successful or not.
    RaquelR

--
    26 Jul 2019 09:06 PM
    Posted By jdhusker on 26 Jul 2019 09:52 PM
    I am currently in the process of trying to switch a member from reserves to active duty. I can update you on the process and whether it is successful or not.

Yes do so please, thank you.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement