Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Active Army Officer looking to transition to Coast Guard
Last Post 04 Aug 2019 02:20 PM by frankmask123. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
frankmask123

--
03 Aug 2019 03:51 PM
    All,

I am currently an active duty Army Logistics Officer (1LT) in a support element in a special operations unit looking to transition to the Coast Guard when I finish my obligation.

Ultimately, serving with the Coast Guard is my main goal. However, I would like to gauge what exactly the options are for one with a logistics background. 
    Transportation, movement, shipping, maintenance, and property is what I have the most experience with. 
    Ideally, going through the PTMO program would be the direction I would take. If I were to take this route, would there be any parity in Coast Guard Officer options where my skills and experience would transfer? Operations afloat is where I would like to be the most, and it seems there would be at least SOME overlap between my current role and roles that an afloat officer could take on.

If that isn't an option, I am more than ready and willing to start back from square one and go through OCS. Would my being a prior service officer with a strong performance in my previous service make me a strong candidate for Coast Guard OCS? Or would this not matter to the CG OCS board?

Forgive me if this is long winded.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    03 Aug 2019 04:25 PM
    CG officers are more generalists than Army officers who have a branch specialty (i.e Armor, Signal Corps, etc). You could, at some point, have an assignment where you are handling logistics and related supply issues, but it won't be your career focus. I'm no recruiter, but based on your experience thus far in the Army, I'd say you'd be able to apply for the PTMO program
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    frankmask123

--
    03 Aug 2019 07:17 PM
    Thats good to hear at the very least. If I wanted to operations afloat with my background and go through the PTMO program, would I be sent to a sort of school that trains me particularly for cutter operations and maritime skills and so forth? 
    For example, in the army we have BOLC which follows our commissioning training (West Point/ROTC/OCS) and it trains us more on our focussed skill.
    kirkaland

--
    04 Aug 2019 08:08 AM
    Posted By frankmask123 on 03 Aug 2019 08:17 PM
    Thats good to hear at the very least. If I wanted to operations afloat with my background and go through the PTMO program, would I be sent to a sort of school that trains me particularly for cutter operations and maritime skills and so forth? 
    For example, in the army we have BOLC which follows our commissioning training (West Point/ROTC/OCS) and it trains us more on our focussed skill.

Former Army aviation officer here. The Coast Guard doesn't really have a version of bolc because as mentioned officers in the CG are more generalists and there's a lot of on the job training once you get a specific assignment. There was a former Army logistician ptmo in my DCO class last year and he was going to work at a sector as a response officer. The other army PTMOs in my class were either going to sectors to work as response officers (think battle captain/S3) or to MSSTs (maritime law enforcement who do boarding of vessels and stuff) . Only a few guys in my DCO class went afloat and they were all MARGRADs with significant maritime experience. Anything is possible but with no maritime experience I wouldn't count on going afloat in the CG. You'd be competing with graduates from the Coast Guard Academy and other maritime academies who have spent 4 years learning about boats and sailing and done internships in the summers on boats.
    frankmask123

--
    04 Aug 2019 02:20 PM
    What about guys who go through OCS? Do they fight an uphill battle to enter an operations afloat career as well?
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement