Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Boot Camp Injuries
Last Post 07 Aug 2019 06:40 AM by Old Guard2. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
cystokyd

--
07 Aug 2019 06:15 AM
    In 1977 I joined The USCG, I lived near a base and knew that's what I wanted to do. During the pre enlistment physical they came across left knee issues and I was listed not fit to enlist. A week later I got a call from recruiting officer and was told I was good to go. I was on a 6 month Delayed enlistment I was technically in the Coast Guard for immediate call up if necessary  but reported to Cape May in September of 1977. Two weeks into training I injured my Right Ankle causing me to fall landing on a spike of some sort injuring my left knee. Long story short after spending time in Hospital I was called into office and told if I did not sign the medical wavier absolving USCG of any liability I would receive a dishonorable Discharge. Unfortunately I was to young to know I was being railroaded but smart enough to know a dishonorable would haunt me the rest of my life.So I singed and my dream of being in the USCG was over. I was given $34.00 and told to find my own way home. Ive been plagued by Knew issues since that day with many surgeries which have left me partially  disabled. I never tried to get anything from USCG partly from embarrassment partly because until recently I was always told, To bad you signed the waiver that's it. My point here is don't be bullied if you get injured and stand up for your rights. I was told by the VA i wasn't a Vet and could not get treatment there. I have been denied everything that vets get and have been shamed into silence, That ended today. My injury has cost me thousands of dollars over the years and mobility as I got older, maybe if I got timely and proper healthcare things would be different.  I still love the USCG im just angry at some officers who took advantage.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    07 Aug 2019 06:40 AM
    While those who join the DEP have signed an enlistment agreement to report on a certain date for training, they are not yet members of the United States Armed Forces until they enlist in the regular component of their selected branches on their ship dates. So you were not techincally in the CG, you were waiting for the CG. Also, I'm trying to find the dates but I didn't think the DEP program dated back that far. My ex enlisted in 1985 and there was no such thing at that time. Our son enlisted in 2009 and at the time, DEP was merely a suggestion. I think he was in DEP for a week. Now there are mandatory times to complete background checks but that is of a more recent history, like 6 years or so. Since we've established your DEP time really counts towards nothing on the active duty side, you do not qualify for veterans benefits. You must be active duty for 181 days to be considered a veteran and get those benefits. I am sorry you sustained such a debilitating injury but it is what it is. You signed a document that was probably not in your best interest but most would in that position. I really don't think the CG would have done a whole lot more than heal you and send you on your way, even if you hadn't signed that paper.

Also, I don't know who has shamed you into silence. There is nothing to silence you over. You went into the CG, you sustained an injury in 14 days, you were discharged. That still happens today. You're not a veteran. Your DEP time only counted towards time in but not as active duty time. My husband went into the Army in 1978, he served 4 years. He still has a hard time getting some VA benefits. His 4 years, your 2 weeks... don't worry, you ain't missing a whole lot from not being afforded VA benefits. I'm not sure what other benefits you might think you are entitled to beyond medical but there isn't much unless you do your 20 and retire.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement