Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Pay Issues
Last Post 12 Aug 2019 06:22 AM by Old Guard2. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ScallanC

--
08 Aug 2019 04:40 PM
    My husband joined the USCG and finished DEPOT in June. He's always wanted to do reserves and we thought (incorrectly) it would help us save a bit for a house. I signed the spousal agreement and met with him and his recruiter when we signed the paperwork. We were told while he was at DEPOT he would get BAH. This was a big deal for us as we live in the SF Bay Area and our rent is very expensive. If he wasn't doing boot camp, he'd be working. We knew we would get AS MUCH as him working but per the contract it would be pretty close, and we'd be able to pay our rent. He was also given a $2k bonus they told us we would get after boot camp which would help. 

Fast forward, he finishes boot camp, they don't pay the BAH saying his recruiter was wrong, he doesn't get the active duty BAH rate. (By the way we have a 1yr old and 2yr old) and that he won't get the bonus till after A school. They also have his A school dates wrong which is when we need him working. 

They told us they don't have to honor the contract. But on the contract (the spousal document specifically) it says that if they don't honor it he can be discharged? They're also refusing to let him go. Here's the thing, we can't pay rent if he goes to A school and doesn't get BAH. We would lose almost 10k versus him staying here and working. They want him to go to A school for 9 weeks. This would put us in a HUGE financial mess. How can we get him out if they aren't going to pay him BAH? Can we delay his A school? Can we get him honorably discharged? They have been really rude and told us we need a lawyer if we want to get him out. 

It seems like they lied a ton and now our family won't be able to pay rent. We've already lost a month of rent by him being gone for DEPOT. Are there any options? As a wife, is there anything I can do? I'm going to have to watch our savings for a house go down the drain. 
    jlore

--
    09 Aug 2019 09:21 AM
    Sorry to hear about your situation.
    You get reserve BAH (only a couple hundred dollars which is a joke )because depot is only 20 days. You need to do 30 to get active duty BAH. Also going forward your 2 weeks of ADT will be on the reserve BAH scale.
    You will get BAH during A-school because that is more then 30 consecutive days of active duty.
    I did depot and A school and was expecting like 2/3 of active duty BAH during DEPOT but that wasn’t the case.

I doubt you would need a lawyer to get out of the coast guard. I know a handful of people that the reserves did not work for and they were able to get out. I would recommend that you make every effort to try and stay. Your husband joined for a reason and would probably regret not trying to make it work.
    Good luck trying to get it worked out
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    09 Aug 2019 01:46 PM
    Joining the reserves is not really a good way for earning extra money. During your husband's two weeks of active duty training he will be away from his civilian job and probably wont be making as much money. While in DEPOT he should have been receiving a partial BAH.

In A School he will receive full BAH and active duty pay. As for the bonus being paid after A School that should have been disclosed to your husband by the recruiter. It also states in his orders that the bonus is paid after A School graduation. As for the A School date reservists are given the earliest date available to attend.

ScallanC

--
    09 Aug 2019 09:06 PM
    Thank you for the advice. Just to clarify, we didn't join to get extra money, we just can't afford to lose as much money doing it as we currently would. It would jeopardize our family's financial situation. That wasn't what was told to us when we signed. I appreciate the time you both took to respond and your patience.

Thank you!
    Joseph1994

--
    10 Aug 2019 07:52 PM
    Well this is unfortunate to read. Has me about ready to stop dead in my tracks on my reserve enlistment process. I dont have kids but my wife and I are also in the situation where we cant go months living off only reserve pay or E3 active duty pay by itself with no BAH. If they're giving people problems with BAH during boot camp and A school thats going to make this whole thing a no-go for me. I was also told by my recruiter that I would be getting BAH. Unfortunate.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    11 Aug 2019 06:05 AM
    If you are doing the full 8 week boot camp you will get full active duty BAH. In A school you will also get full BAH. If you go to DEPOT you get a partial BAH as a reservist. There are no problems giving people their BAH entitlements in boot camp and A School, apparently just problems with letting people know what their entitlements are.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    11 Aug 2019 12:06 PM
    Posted By Joseph1994 on 10 Aug 2019 08:52 PM
    Well this is unfortunate to read. Has me about ready to stop dead in my tracks on my reserve enlistment process. I dont have kids but my wife and I are also in the situation where we cant go months living off only reserve pay or E3 active duty pay by itself with no BAH. If they're giving people problems with BAH during boot camp and A school thats going to make this whole thing a no-go for me. I was also told by my recruiter that I would be getting BAH. Unfortunate.

So you're going to base your decision to enlist on one person's experience? Thousands have enlisted in the CGR with no issues whatsoever and have gone on to have rewarding careers. If you're smart, you'll make note of these issues and bring them up to your recruiter, using someone else's experiences as a learning moment.

To the OP, you should be discussing these issues with your chain of command in your unit.  Also, I'll bet my next paycheck that you had to sign a Page 7 acknowledging the fact that your bonus would not be paid until completion of A School.  If you didn't read what you were signing or ask questions of your recruiter, that's on you.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    ScallanC

--
    11 Aug 2019 08:43 PM
    We did ask our recruiter lots of questions and have since called the recruiting office. What the recruiter said/says versus what the Coast Guard payroll says are two different things. We were very careful before signing. They have said they are not going to match the contract. 

Our recruiter actually said we should have gotten the bonus after DEPOT. Also, we have been told even for A school you don't get active duty BAH till 30 days in. So the first 30 days of A school you get reservist BAH. Good to know as it makes a difference.

We reached out here as we were getting conflicting information. We hoped for some clarification from others who had been through it.

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 Aug 2019 06:22 AM
    I have never heard of a bonus being paid prior to completion of A School. You get a bonus, I don't care if it is 10$, then you bail and don't complete or fail the A School and how does the CG recoup that money? A School bonus money is never paid out prior to attending and completing. Bonuses for taking a specific district (not an option for a reservist) that is paid out after boot, if that bonus is available. My son received that one, that was over 10 years ago.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement