Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Thinking of joining
Last Post 15 Aug 2019 07:59 AM by CPORJM. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Eightonezero

--
10 Aug 2019 11:11 AM
    Hi all. I’m 39 and thinking about joining the reserve unit. I have several questions hopefully someone can assist with. 

-I understand given my age and professional experience , I can take the “DEPOT” 3 week boot camp?  I have been a full time Cyber Security Professional for the last 15 years. 

-If I do DEPOT, I don’t need to go to any additional schooling post boot camp?

-Do you stay overnight for your drill weekends ?

-Will I be placed at my local coast guard (20 miles from my house in Lewes, DE)

-What is the commitment if joining the reserves ? (8 years)?

Thank you 
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    10 Aug 2019 12:19 PM
    Greetings

1. I'm assuming, based on your profession, you have more that 60 credit hours. If that's the case, then yes, you would qualify for DEPOT.

2. Yes. You'll have to go to school for whatever rating (job specialty) you're enlisting for.

3. It depends on how far away your unit is.

4. Again, it depends. There has to be an opening for your rating at that unit. The CG doesn't just put you there for your convenience. There has to be a need for someone in your rating at that location.

5. Yes. Eight years. At the end of that initial eight years you'll have the option of getting out or re-enlisting.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Eightonezero

--
    10 Aug 2019 12:41 PM
    Hello and thanks for the response.

I don’t have 60 credit hours , but from reading the Coast Guard website, professional experience could be used OR 60 credit hours?

Generally, how long is school?
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    10 Aug 2019 04:09 PM
    Posted By Eightonezero on 10 Aug 2019 01:41 PM
    Hello and thanks for the response.

I don’t have 60 credit hours , but from reading the Coast Guard website, professional experience could be used OR 60 credit hours?

Generally, how long is school?

Your professional experience has to be something that can directly translate into a CG skill set.  This is most often seen in those who are in law enforcement in the civilian world and want to go into the ME (Maritime Enforcement) rating, or those who are EMT's in the civilian world and want to go into the HS (Health Sciences) rating.  If you're thinking of applying based on your skill set, the IT rating (Information Technology) might be something to explore.

As far as A School duration, that is solely dependant on which rating you're going into.  It could be just a couple of months to several months.

Your best course of action at this point would be to reach out to a recruiter to find out what programs you're eligible for and what vacancies are available.

Feel free to contact me with any additional questions you may have
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Eightonezero

--
    10 Aug 2019 05:52 PM
    Thanks so much. This makes sense. I’ve done more research as well. Sounds like I may be able to do DEPOT based on my IT experience. (I’ll confirm with a recruiter)

But what if I want to switch skills (rates?) a little down the road. Would I then need to go to A school for that particular skill? (Ex: if I wanted to become an ME down the road). Or would I need to do the full 8 with what I enlisted as (IT)
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    10 Aug 2019 06:25 PM
    Switching your rate isn't always easy or allowed. Pick a job that you want to do for your whole time in the Coast Guard. If you are already thinking about switching rates before you even join you need to rethink what you want to do. If you are allowed to switch then yes you would have to go to school again.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    15 Aug 2019 07:59 AM
    Posted By jdhusker on 10 Aug 2019 07:25 PM
    Switching your rate isn't always easy or allowed. Pick a job that you want to do for your whole time in the Coast Guard. If you are already thinking about switching rates before you even join you need to rethink what you want to do. If you are allowed to switch then yes you would have to go to school again.

And potentially drop back a paygrade
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement