Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Joining USCG and risking relationship?
Last Post 31 Aug 2019 06:04 AM by jdhusker. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Resolved
HGliniewicz21

--
29 Aug 2019 09:29 PM
    Ideally the goal is to serve my 8 years, 4 active duty. I know you haven’t much say in where you’re stationed, but I’m from Maine. I love the cold, and I know not many people would ever tonstation there. So I’m hopeful of my chances remaining within that district. I have no desire to travel, although that’s to be expected in USCG. I basically want to be close to home, and was curious if others were able to do that? And how life was like with your significant other? And how you made it work? We’ve done long distance, we’ve been apart for several months due to college. He’s accustomed to that, and fully supportive of decision with USCG, but he’s worried and afraid. And I don’t know how to reassure him, or if it’s worth the risk. Obviously life’s short, and there’s plenty of fish in the sea. But I’m not so keen on loosing him, so I guess I’d like to hear from your experiences. We’re you able to station close to home the first four years, and be able to manage a relationship?
    reiss_pieces11

--
    29 Aug 2019 09:51 PM
    EDIT (I've revised this because I do not agree with what I previously wrote late at night)

So I just responded to your other post, but I figure I can respond to this one too.

I've been dating my SO for almost two years (not long, either). He luckily got stationed three and a half hours away from my house and four and a half hours away from my college. We see each other about once or twice a month, but now that I'm in college, it'll probably be less.

In boot camp you will be able to make up a "dream sheet" (or something similar to that name, but it's late and I can't think straight lol). From what I've heard they will typically try to keep you around those stations/ in the district you've picked (but it is NOT guaranteed) . If you get a close station, maybe stay as a nonrate for those years (doesn't seem worth going to a school if you only wanna be in for four years). If you get a far away station, you are one phone call away... one flight away.  You are doing this to support your country.

Again, best of luck!

Keep Calm and Love a Coastie!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    30 Aug 2019 06:32 AM
    My response will probably not be well received but oh well. If you have no desire to travel, you want to stay close to home and Mr Wonderful is too friggin special to leave his side... Stay a civilian. There are no guarantees in the military, it is needs of the service, not needs of I don't want to leave home. You say he is ok with it but you have reservations. So either you don't trust him or you don't trust yourself. I was 19, living in NJ, engaged to my man. He joined the CG. I begged him to get stationed on the now closed Governor's Island in NYC. Because oh no, how will I ever manage without you! He got Kodiak Alaska. That was close. LOL Well he left for Kodiak in October, I saw him for 6 days in January, we got married in November. In 15 months, counting boot camp time, I saw him for a total of a whopping 11 days. That was in 1985/86. Do you know how miserable communications were in 1985??? No cell phones, no internet, no instant contact. Home's didn't even have answering machines yet so when I called him or he called me and one of us wasn't home... We had no way of knowing the other called. Pictures?? On film, take them to a place that develops them, wait a week, get them back, put them in an envelope, send them off, it takes another week. In today's constant connection all the time, regardless of what corner of the world you are in, if you can't be 10 minutes down the road... Stay a civilian. Military life is fraught with sacrifice. If you aren't ready to make that commitment whole heartedly, reconsider your choice.

Also, why should the CG say ok, let this one in, she has zero aspiration to do anything, she just wants to say close to home, she will not truly offer any benefit to the price of training her and then she is going to just leave in 4 years anyway? I get people come in for just 4 for benefits and GI Bill and all that, that's ok. But they make the MOST of their time in the service. They do get out, travel, learn, appreciate, separate themselves from the apron strings. You really need to remain a civilian. Best of luck but don't waste the spot for someone who will truly use the CG and ALLLLLL its benefits, not just the educational ones.

Like I said at the start, not going to be a popular answer but I don't care. You ask, I'll tell you.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    CCCSD

--
    30 Aug 2019 11:12 AM
    OP has much to learn and needs to mature before she embarks on anything other than staying where she’s at. What will she do if she is tagged for a Polar Roller right out of Boot?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    31 Aug 2019 06:04 AM
    In boot camp you fill out a "dream sheet" saying where you want to be stationed but ultimately you have no control over where you end up. The Coast Guare does not like to send people from boot camp back home because people have a tendency to not adapt to Coast Guard life if they keep hanging around their old life. Dont join the military if you cant handle being stationed thousands of miles away. People even get stationed in Guam out of boot camp!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement