Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Reverted after Week 2
Last Post 13 Oct 2019 01:31 PM by quoteme08043. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
quoteme08043

--
17 Sep 2019 04:23 PM
    I got a letter from my son last week stating he is being singled out and they are looking to revert him.  I got the call this morning (and of course I didn't take the call because it was a restricted number...IF YOUR CHILD IS IN BOOTCAMP TAKE THE RESTRICTED CALL).  His message sounded like he was broken.  I know the reason he is being singled out is because he is going in as an E3 (Eagle Scout) and his commanders are being extra hard on him expecting him to do more, be better, and in reality he is probably no different than the others.  It sucks as a parent to be in the position of knowing the pain their child is going through and only being able to write words of encouragement.  It sucks as a parent to be in this position when your teenaged child under duress finally says "you were right dad" (I have heard that from my other children when they were in their mid twenties and not in stressful situations).  My worry is my son's mental state.  He is one that does not do well with the constant berating.  Rather than rise to the challenge, he withdraws in those situations.  
    Its only 2 weeks and he is starting over.  

So there is my venting.  

As a parent, what are the best words of encouragement that you Coasties have heard from the letters from parents.  He is a good kid, he is smart, he is determined so much that he chose this route because he didn't want to saddle his parents with college debt and decided that he would get his college degree on Uncle Sam's dollars by going to the CG and using the GI bill.  

I don't know if mentally he can handle another reversion.  

Thanks for letting me vent.  
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    17 Sep 2019 05:01 PM
    Being reverted is not a negative thing, it just means your son needs to improve in some area and they are giving him another chance to improve. The company commanders likely dont know that he is an eagle scout or E3 unless he told them. The first few weeks of boot camp are the hardest and the time with the most reversions. Just remind your son that boot camp is a very short period of time in his career and it's all "fake" stress. The people yelling at him arent actually mad or dislike him, they are trained to create that stress to push him to do better. He just needs to find a way to make it day to day until he graduates, boot camp gets better after a few weeks.
    reiss_pieces11

--
    17 Sep 2019 06:03 PM
    My SO was put on a red belt and could've gotten reverted, but he didn't. In my letters, I just tried to not address it and only said words of encouragement. I would send pictures of things going on around my house, and print out funny memes or jokes (have to be appropriate). They were small snippets I glued to the cards I would write on, since you shouldn't send actual photos. He seemed to like those... Bits of distractions. The first few weeks are a stressful situation for all, my SO even told me in his first letter that he didn't think he'd make it. He sounded so depressed. It was even worse because my letters got delayed, and he thought I wasn't mailing him (I wrote him at least once a day, about 60 letters. When I didn't have his mailing address I still wrote, but saved them until I got the address, then mailed out 12 at one time). Tell him to keep his chin up, stand up straight, and don't take discouragement. My SO is so sensitive too (cries often because we are in a long distance relationship). My parents said the man should've been a Pastor since he doesn't have thick skin in certain situations.

Sometimes the best Coasties are reverted. He can bounce back, and he will learn from this experience. Just try to distract him with good thoughts.

Sending good wishes your way!
    Keep Calm and Love a Coastie!
    quoteme08043

--
    18 Sep 2019 09:16 AM
    Thanks

Yes I know it is not necessarily a bad thing, but it is still emotional on the parent. All we ever want is for our children is to succeed. Watching our kids feel broken and not being able to help sucks. I know it is necessary, just looking for what has worked for others regarding words of encouragement.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    18 Sep 2019 09:40 AM
    My son was reverted, not once but twice. It happens. Just your words, encourage, that's all. Please keep in mind that you probably won't get a letter for about a week now. When you get the next letter, it will likely talk about how this was the best thing that ever happened to him. Trust me, the CC's likely know nothing about E3 or Eagle Scout. There are far, far too many that join that go in as E3 or have earned Eagle Scout and they don't get singled out or targeted. It is just a reaction to look for a reason as to why this happened. There are as many reasons as there are recruits.

When you do write, please don't focus on it. He knows he was reverted, he doesn't need to be reminded or asked a lot of questions about it. You'll hear about it after graduation. Mine was sleeping in class (which I can go with my son's explanation and he wasn't sleeping but that's another story) and dirty socks in his rack. That was that. Back once, back twice. But the company he landed with had one of the finest CC's in Cape May and he did great in that company and LOVED being there. So just focus on saying you're proud, he's got this, you can't wait to see him in a couple of months, stuff like that. Don't focus on the bounce backwards.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    reiss_pieces11

--
    18 Sep 2019 10:35 AM
    I believe it's Old Guard who says that it takes a strong Coastie to endure 9 or 10 weeks of basic, rather than the normal 8 weeks. Your son will do great! Positive thoughts
    Keep Calm and Love a Coastie!
    quoteme08043

--
    13 Oct 2019 01:31 PM
    Well
    Talk about a turn around. This weeks letter has him considering honor guard service. Go figure.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement