Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
ME at Duty Station
Last Post 21 Sep 2019 04:03 PM by CPORJM. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ahoynative

--
18 Sep 2019 10:52 AM
    Please forgive me if this has been asked somewhere else but are there ME reservists at smaller(er) duty stations? To be more specific, does a duty station like Panama City, FL have MEs? 

Upon fulfilling our current commitments, my wife and I plan to return to the panhandle in May 2021. Total transparency: I'm 29, no military background, and no LE background, but I've been nagging my wife about the Coast Guard Reserve for nearly 5 years now. My "dream job" would be to regularly conduct boardings and inspections for the LE aspect of it while also helping with hurricane relief efforts [when necessary]. I grew up on the water and always enjoyed the occasional interactions I had with Coast Guard patrol boats. I guess a better question would be is ME the best "route" to take for an area like this?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Feel free to correct my jargon and educate me in terminology. Thank you!
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    18 Sep 2019 07:16 PM
    Something to understand is that ME is NOT the only rating (CG/Navy-speak for job field. The Army and Marines call it an MOS) to do law enforcement. Any rating in the CG can get qualified to do the LE mission. Some small boat stations have Reserve ME billets. I don't know if Panama City is one of them. Another thing to be aware of is that there needs to be an opening in the rating you want at the location you want to go to. The Reserves recruit to fill specific billets at a specific unit. Example: It may happen that there is a Reserve ME billet at Panama City, but it's filled. You would not be able to go there.

Another thing to be aware of is distance. There is something called the Reasonable Commuting Distance (RCD). That is 100 miles round trip from your zip code of residence. The CG Reserve has to place you at a unit within the RCD, unless you waive that and are willing to commute (on your dime). There's two issues with this. The cost, which depending on the distance, can be substantial. Junior enlisted don't make much to begin with, so if you're paying for a long commute, you're making even less. The other issue is that people will agree to make a six hour round trip commute, for example. They're good with it for a year or two, but after that it becomes a hassle and all of a sudden, they're missing drill weekends, etc. In almost 20 years in the Reserves, I've seen it more than a few times.

Look here for more info on Reserve programs https://www.gocoastguard.com/reserve-careers/enlisted-careers/reserve-enlisted-programs
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    ahoynative

--
    19 Sep 2019 12:17 PM
    Thanks for the quick response CPORJM as well as the explanation. Extremely helpful!
    ahoynative

--
    20 Sep 2019 09:10 AM
    One last question for you: If I live outside the RCD, does that mean none of the expenses are covered or only the difference between 100 miles and my location is my responsibility? It looks like like I'll be around 110-120 miles away.
    CCCSD

--
    20 Sep 2019 09:15 AM
    None.
    ahoynative

--
    20 Sep 2019 11:43 AM
    Posted By CCCSD on 20 Sep 2019 10:15 AM
    None.

Is that for just the commute? Would my longing, meals, etc. during drill be covered? Looks like I'll be outside the RSD no matter what.
    CCCSD

--
    20 Sep 2019 01:30 PM
    Nope. Unless you’re on orders that state so.
    You are on your own dime.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    20 Sep 2019 03:12 PM
    Posted By ahoynative on 20 Sep 2019 12:43 PM
    Posted By CCCSD on 20 Sep 2019 10:15 AM
    None.

Is that for just the commute? Would my longing, meals, etc. during drill be covered? Looks like I'll be outside the RSD no matter what.

Your commute is not covered.  You receive a subsistence allowance for drills and you will be authorized lodging at Government expense, but that has to be prearranged and approved.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    20 Sep 2019 03:17 PM
    Posted By CCCSD on 20 Sep 2019 02:30 PM
    Nope. Unless you’re on orders that state so.
    You are on your own dime.

Two of my guys are outside the RCD and get lodging should they need it, whether it be IDT, ADT or ADOS orders.  The only requirement is that DXR is notified and gives the OK, which has never been a problem.  We all get a meal allowance whether outside the RCD or not.  We input that info into Direct Access when doing an IDT request
    CCCSD

--
    20 Sep 2019 05:18 PM
    I stand corrected. My time was different as you slept at the station and ate in the mess hall.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    21 Sep 2019 04:03 PM
    Posted By CCCSD on 20 Sep 2019 06:18 PM
    I stand corrected. My time was different as you slept at the station and ate in the mess hall.

That still holds true depending on the duty location.  For example, Base Alameda has barracks available, so Reservists that need lodging would use those.  On the other hand Base San Pedro (LA-LB) does not, so Reservists that need lodging there would get lodging provided at a local hotel
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement