Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
OCS 2020 applicants
Last Post 02 Dec 2019 02:50 PM by DariustheDukes. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Jerryp0727

--
17 Oct 2019 05:58 PM
    Hey guys, I thought i start a thread for the next upcoming board in 2020. I know its kinda early but i like to get things started early. Anything advice from past members, current members anything helps.

A-little background about me is i am a civilian no prior. I am a Police officer with 4 years experience, I am in my last semester of college with a degree in criminal justice and minor in Political science. I have always wanted to enter the military but did not go the traditional route going to college first but instead jumped into my career and went later. I am 28 years old and know i have until i am 31 to commission if picked up. I am heavily active in my community and have my own 501c3 non-profit. 

I am hoping we can help each other when it comes to the packet and how to make a strong packet, such as letters, narrative, resume, etc. ANYTHING HELPS!!!!! 

hope to hear from you guys GOD BLESS!
    nwass52

--
    21 Oct 2019 01:59 PM
    Posted By Jerryp0727 on 17 Oct 2019 05:58 PM
    Hey guys, I thought i start a thread for the next upcoming board in 2020. I know its kinda early but i like to get things started early. Anything advice from past members, current members anything helps.

A-little background about me is i am a civilian no prior. I am a Police officer with 4 years experience, I am in my last semester of college with a degree in criminal justice and minor in Political science. I have always wanted to enter the military but did not go the traditional route going to college first but instead jumped into my career and went later. I am 28 years old and know i have until i am 31 to commission if picked up. I am heavily active in my community and have my own 501c3 non-profit. 

I am hoping we can help each other when it comes to the packet and how to make a strong packet, such as letters, narrative, resume, etc. ANYTHING HELPS!!!!! 

Whats up! I am very similar to your situation, civilian with no prior, graduated college and I am on my second round of applying.

Some of the best advice given to me was to tailor your resume/narrative/LORs around 3 categories: Athletics, Academics/Leadership, Volunteer work. Your police officer background will give you a lot of great experience to pull from academically, in leadership and also athletics so definitely highlight that as well as your volunteer work. That is HUGE. As far as your narrative goes tailor it around the 3 core values of the USCG. Pretty much what I did was write about my experiences and accomplishments by weaving them within the core values.

Probably the biggest encouragement I can give you (and its the one that has been given to me the most) is to keep trying! It is highly competitive and from my experience it takes civilians a while to get into OCS. You are highly qualified and are an excellent candidate but sometimes it can be like a lottery. The turnaround for another panel is pretty quick also. I found out in August that I wasn't selected and was able to re-submit for the deadline that is today and will know the results by the end of December. So don't get discouraged.

Last thing... meet as many current/former members of the USCG as possible! They are a tremendous help and love talking about their work. Visit stations if you can. Show them that you care and truly want to learn all that you're able. Your interview panel will greatly respect your effort in doing that. Being able to talk about people you know and stations you've been to can help you put your interview answers in better context.

Thank you for your service in the police force and I hope to cross paths with you in OCS or on active duty!

Good luck and God bless!

Jerryp0727

--
    21 Oct 2019 07:07 PM
    Thank you for the response. I have been working on all three components every night reviewing my resume and LORs and Narrative over and over again. I know the chances on getting in the first time is slim to none but my age limit only allows me at-least two chances to get in. So i spend countless hours studying about the coast guard and the core values and learning everything i need to know to have a flawless interview. I am pretty confident my career field and leadership roles i held on campus and being in a fraternity has provided me countless volunteer work/hours, will provide me with a boost like you said. 

I am currently trying to set up visitation with my local air stations and sectors here in my area.

If you have any tips for the Interview on what they ask or how to prepare it would greatly be appreciated. can send me a PM. 

Hope you get picked up as well and best of luck, I speak in existence we will cross paths in OCS!!!!
    Jerryp0727

--
    21 Oct 2019 07:08 PM
    Posted By nwass52 on 21 Oct 2019 01:59 PM
    Posted By Jerryp0727 on 17 Oct 2019 05:58 PM

Whats up! I am very similar to your situation, civilian with no prior, graduated college and I am on my second round of applying.

Some of the best advice given to me was to tailor your resume/narrative/LORs around 3 categories: Athletics, Academics/Leadership, Volunteer work. Your police officer background will give you a lot of great experience to pull from academically, in leadership and also athletics so definitely highlight that as well as your volunteer work. That is HUGE. As far as your narrative goes tailor it around the 3 core values of the USCG. Pretty much what I did was write about my experiences and accomplishments by weaving them within the core values.

Probably the biggest encouragement I can give you (and its the one that has been given to me the most) is to keep trying! It is highly competitive and from my experience it takes civilians a while to get into OCS. You are highly qualified and are an excellent candidate but sometimes it can be like a lottery. The turnaround for another panel is pretty quick also. I found out in August that I wasn't selected and was able to re-submit for the deadline that is today and will know the results by the end of December. So don't get discouraged.

Last thing... meet as many current/former members of the USCG as possible! They are a tremendous help and love talking about their work. Visit stations if you can. Show them that you care and truly want to learn all that you're able. Your interview panel will greatly respect your effort in doing that. Being able to talk about people you know and stations you've been to can help you put your interview answers in better context.

Thank you for your service in the police force and I hope to cross paths with you in OCS or on active duty!

Good luck and God bless!

Thank you for the response. I have been working on all three components every night reviewing my resume and LORs and Narrative over and over again. I know the chances on getting in the first time is slim to none but my age limit only allows me at-least two chances to get in. So i spend countless hours studying about the coast guard and the core values and learning everything i need to know to have a flawless interview. I am pretty confident my career field and leadership roles i held on campus and being in a fraternity has provided me countless volunteer work/hours, will provide me with a boost like you said. 

I am currently trying to set up visitation with my local air stations and sectors here in my area.

If you have any tips for the Interview on what they ask or how to prepare it would greatly be appreciated. can send me a PM. 

Hope you get picked up as well and best of luck, I speak in existence we will cross paths in OCS!!!!

nwass52

--
    23 Oct 2019 03:38 PM
    Posted By Jerryp0727 on 21 Oct 2019 07:07 PM

Sent you a pm! 

But we can also keep this thread going so as others get info it can be shared! 
    RPJ2019

--
    13 Nov 2019 09:03 AM
    Any idea when the unofficial results come out?
    Jnew47

--
    02 Dec 2019 11:48 AM
    Is anyone here also applying for the Dec 9th OCS-R Panel?
    DariustheDukes

--
    02 Dec 2019 02:50 PM
    Posted By Jnew47 on 02 Dec 2019 11:48 AM
    Is anyone here also applying for the Dec 9th OCS-R Panel?

I am
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement