Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Diffrence between ME reserve in Connecticut and Mass
Last Post 16 Nov 2019 10:24 AM by CPORJM. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
6actual

--
16 Nov 2019 07:37 AM

Hi all wannabe Coastie here!  

I'm considering joining the coast guard reserves and I'm  Wondering what the difference is between the ME rating in Massachusetts reserve which is a port security unit and an ME rating in the Connecticut reserve ...what are the differences in their missions And general areas of operation. The recruiter told me the mass unit is the place to be at port security and there is a bonus. I'm not about the money ,   And the bonus has no bearing on my position, I was seeking this position before I knew anything about a bonus.
     I just want to know what their responsibilities are in the Connecticut area because I am closer, He seemed to really   Emphasize the PSU in mass and not really articulate the Connecticut unit at all? Are there ME rating reserve jobs in New York And if there is what would be the area of operation.

I would like to stay out of the Persian Gulf region I don't mind deploying to GITMO or conus disasters,  I'd rather stay out of the middle east, I have family that deployed there and as a female, or Male for that matter its a place I'd rather not visit, the whole suicide bomber thing,  Indigenous persons Committing acts of violence after being screened for entry, and jobs around US personnel.  Possibilities  Of abduction ect...Thx for any insite!
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    16 Nov 2019 10:24 AM
    Greetings.... A Port Security Unit (PSU) is a deployable unit whose job is the protection of Naval and other high value assets. They're deployable on very short notice. Right now the only deployment PSU's have is GITMO. The mid East mission has been over for years, so you don't need to worry about that (unless world events change). PSU's typically have been hard to staff, as people don't want to deal with the deployment issue. That's the reason your recruiter is pushing the PSU.

As an ME in a PSU, you'll likely be assigned to the Shoreside Security section. You would be working an access control point or similar type assignement. I'm not sure if ME's at PSU's are being boat crew qualified. Compare this with a small boat station, where you'll be doing maritime law enforcement (MLE), and possibly search and rescue (SAR). If this is where your interests lie, then go here. It's your career, not your recruiter's, and you need to be content in what you're doing.

Something else to be aware of is the Reasonable Commuting Distance, aka RCD. Unless you say otherwise, the CG has to place you at a unit within the RCD, which is defined as 100 miles round trip to your unit of assignment from your zip code of residence . If you agree to go outside the RCD, you'll be responsible for commuting costs. The CG will provide you lodging, if needed, but the commuting costs are on you. If it's a significant distance, you could be spending a good chunk of your pay on the commute, as junior enlisted don't make that much to begin with.

Just some things to consider. If you have any more questions, let me know. Regards..
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement