Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Agree waiver? 43 w 4.5 yrs active duty usmc
Last Post 18 Nov 2019 11:07 AM by CPORJM. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
6actual

--
17 Nov 2019 08:23 AM
    It's my understanding, When applying for branches of the military your age is subtracted from your years of military service, and you need 20 years to be able  To retire and meet the Threshold for retirement to qualify

I'm 43 and served 4.5 yrs in the usmc at 1mar div recon co. I'm was hoping to join PSU, in Mass as an ME. My job is super deployment friendly, and my kids are almost all over 18. I have 2 that are 14 and 15, I was Hopeing to get a gi bill and transfer it to them or 1 ect. 

My daughter is 18 years old and applying to be at the port security unit ME, and I was hoping that we can serve together go out on missions and deploy, would be some good times!

Im 43 but in extremely good condition I do 2 mile open ocean swims 4 x per week, Deep sand running 4 miles prior to swimming, on top of lifting weights jujitsu grappling ect. Avid shooter

I have no debt my house is paid for, ive been at my job for 20 yrs, looking for adventure, and to work in a high tempo operational enviroment, in high stress, with top notch teams.

my understanding I would need the following waivers (?):

_Age 43 (-4 prior serve puts me at 39)
    _Discharge Re-3 usmc due to bronstrum repair r ankle it's medically sound no issues . Va has me at 40 % disability,  The  Marine recruiter told me there's people serving with 60% and 80
    Had myappendix removed 3 yrs ago (Appendix Is common)

My understanding that they're trying to staff the port security units and those take precedence and they're looking at those for waivers more reguarly and  rapidly because it's a a billet that they need filled, it's difficult to find candidates because of the high deployment tempo. I'm a solid team player
    ME it is my understanding at PSU a critical billet.

I could probly get letters of recommendation from high level state officials If it help?

Hit me w/ the fact
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    17 Nov 2019 11:32 PM
    Just some things to be aware of.. What the USMC recruiter tells you has no bearing on what a USCG recruiter will decide. Also, you'll have to do a minimum of 10 years service before your kids can use the transferred GI Bill benefit. See the following for further https://www.va.gov/education/transfer-post-9-11-gi-bill-benefits/

Understand that the only mission the PSU's have right now is GITMO. There's nothing high optempo about this mission. I'm telling you this to help you manage your expectations.

I recall from one of your other posts that the nearest PSU is some distance from your home. Any travel costs incurred outside 100 miles round trip from your zip code of residence is your responsibility. If it's a significant distance from your home, you need to really consider if this is something you want to do for the next 4-6 years.

Just food for thought

Regards
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    6actual

--
    18 Nov 2019 06:56 AM
    Thx for the GI Bill info ! Cape code is 170 miles from my home,,,where as New London CT, is 48 miles........ so point well taken, i'm not sure what an ME does in CT? I'm going to talk to the recruiter, i think it would be pretty cool to serve with my daughter, if he can get me in i will advise her to go PSU in mass & we can roll over there, i hope i can make it happen! If not she is better of staying in CT within the 100 mile range, if the position is still available.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    18 Nov 2019 11:07 AM
    I provided a little insight on what you could expect as an ME at the CT location here http://www.uscg.org/Forum/aft/36806.aspx
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement