Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Why Did You Join The CG (for research)
Last Post 02 Dec 2019 03:50 PM by CCCSD. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
reiss_pieces11

--
20 Nov 2019 11:35 AM
    Hi all,

As some of you may know, I'm a college student and my SO is in the CG.  I'm not sure if this is allowed, so please delete if it goes against any rules...  

I am doing some research on volunteer work for my seminar class (since I am a part of the service program at my university).  I thought it would be interesting to ask why you all enlisted into the CG.  Although you all get paid, what you are doing is service work by giving back to the community.  I will not include any usernames, etc, just looking for a general idea.

Basically my overall question is "Are our incentives and motives for doing service work acceptable?"  After doing some research, I have found that most people do service for the following reasons: to make money, to get career experience, to help others, to relieve negative feelings in oneself, or to create relationships with other people.  My thesis (still developing and your answers will help further shape it) is that although people may begin service for selfish reasons, their mindset may change after seeing the positive impact done, thus making most motives and incentives acceptable.  

Out of those options, why did you join the service?  Has your reason changed now or do you still do it for the same reason?  Or if for a different reason I would be interested to hear.

Again, your username will not be disclosed.  If this is not allowed, mods please delete.  Thank you for all your help!
    Keep Calm and Love a Coastie!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    nengland

--
    25 Nov 2019 08:20 AM
    I'll bite.

I joined because I wanted to learn a specific trade. Once I got up to speed and comfortable with the community and the specialty I noticed that my peers in the contracting world made at a minimum double what I took home in wage and benefits. To be clear, I love the organization and the community but I love my family more. My ultimate responsibility is to care and provide for them. I bounced from Active Duty, became a dirty contractor, and console myself that at least as a Reservist with drill the CG still has a piece of me and I a piece of it for now. I don't know if this is acceptable, but it's good enough for me.

Cheers,
    nengland
    CCCSD

--
    25 Nov 2019 09:58 AM
    I joined the Reserves because of 9/11. I was an Auxie and was asked by my CG STA CO if I wanted to serve. I was past the age cut off, but he made it happen. I jumped on it.

Never prouder.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    02 Dec 2019 12:12 PM
    I had hit rock bottom. I was a Navy brat and had spent most of my life in the Philippines. My mother had committed suicide when I was 10 and my dad had taken it pretty hard. He was always drunk and womanizing. He left me on my own a lot and I was pretty much wandering the streets as a kid and raised myself. However, with a little luck I was still able to graduate from college. But after I graduated I moved back in with my dad who was again in the Philippines as a Chief. I quickly fell into my old ways and I knew I was going to end up a deadbeat. I wanted to better myself and I decided to apply for, and was eventually accepted, into OCS.

I had a tough time adjusting to that type of life at first. I was certainly no gentleman. I was caught selling pre-shined boots and buckles to my classmates by my instructors and that gave me a lot of extra unwanted attention. I was hazed for an entire weekend while the rest of the class was given liberty. They broke me and I realized that I had nowhere else to go. Because of that, I tried to be better and was doing OK but then one of my classmates committed suicide right before graduation and I blamed my primary instructor. We got into a a pretty big fight but it all worked out in the end and I made it through. My instructor ended up being an inspiration to me and I made sure I received my first salute as an officer from him.

I also met a local girl while I was in OCS. She worked in the factory near base and when I graduated, I went to where she worked in my "whites" and carried her out of the building. It was a very emotional moment and proved love does lift us up where we belong.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    02 Dec 2019 12:21 PM
    Nice story line... I think I have seen that somewhere before
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    CCCSD

--
    02 Dec 2019 03:50 PM
    Bwahahahaha!

D.O.R!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement