Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
CS Liberty/Port Calls
Last Post 24 Nov 2019 09:41 PM by Loronus. 2 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
X43BJJ

--
22 Nov 2019 09:43 PM
    I am interested in going CS and being stationed on a cutter but I have heard that CS's get reduced liberty and have to stay on the boat during port calls, I was wondering about the truth in that. I am okay with working long hours, however I want to go on a cutter to see the world and I can't do that if I never leave the ship when the rest of the crew does.
    lilq824

--
    22 Nov 2019 10:00 PM
    Not sure who told you that, but it's not true. I've ONLY been stationed on cutters and you could argue CSs get MORE liberty at port calls than the rest of the crew. Actually, no. You can't argue it. CSs DO get more liberty at port calls than the rest of the crew. haha.

I'm a DC. With, pretty much every other rate BUT CS, when you have duty, you're stuck on the boat for 24 hours. The CSs make their schedules(amongst themselves) to see who will be the "duty cook" at port calls. You make breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Once dinner is cleaned up, you check out with the OOD and go on liberty.

As an engineer(same for deck department), I do my 2 watches but I'm stuck for 24 hours. CSs finish their duty and leave once it's cleaned up.

On top of that, depending on how many CSs your cutter has, and how many days you're at a particular port, you might not have ANY duty at a port call.

Hope this helps.
    Loronus

--
    24 Nov 2019 09:41 PM
    Hey X43BJJ,

I am a CS currently a CS2 on a WPB 87' as an IDFSO but served previously on a WMSL (National Security Cutter). Glad to see you have an interest in the CS rate it's a very rewarding if tough job. As lilq824 said a CS can have more time off than many other members during a port call or while inport especially as a 3rd Class. On larger class cutter inport once you get your groove and depending on your command you could get a Liberty Schedule called 2 on 2 off Sliding weekends. Where your rotation over two weeks looks like this You work Monday Tuesday have Wednesday Thursday off. Work Friday Saturday Sunday with a Smaller Duty Section to cook for. Then have Monday Tuesday off then work Wednesday Thursday and then have Friday Saturday Sunday off and repeat. While underway and during a Port Call Depending on your job either as a Galley Watchstander (Cook) or Jack-Of the Dust (Helping Manage Stores and Inventory of Food) your liberty slightly differs. As a Galley Watchstander on a WMSL we had 4 Galley Watchstanders and our FSO a Senior Chief CS wanted 2 cooks on Duty and he allowed us to make our schedule for duty during port calls. We usually just Divided the days up so if we had 4 days of Port Call 2 of us would take the first 2 days and 2 of us would take the second 2. Later on they allowed us as long as the Evening Dinner was fully ready to have one of us cut out a bit early to have a bit of extra time. It is worth it to be on a cutter I got to see Hawaii (twice), Alaska, Pensacola, Grand Cayman Islands, Seattle, WA, travel below the Equator and above the Arctic Circle as well as travel through the Panama Canal.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement