Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Will my recruiter see me if I am a year too young?
Last Post 17 Dec 2019 05:52 AM by Old Guard2. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Not Resolved
Puffin

--
10 Dec 2019 05:58 PM
    I am currently a junior in highschool, who is set on enlisting into the USCG. I turn 17 in early June 2020; In about a month I will have the decision to graduate early from highschool which would allow me to graduate next December rather than the May of 2021. I was wondering if I could go and see a recruiter at my current age of 16 to have a secure plan and to get the ball rolling on my enlistment, which I fear may take longer than six months thereby negating my choice to graduate early in order to become enlisted and go to Cape May. Would it be worth a try to see a recruiter if I am 16 and try to start the process of my enlistment? I have read that some recruiters refuse to make any agreements prior to being 17. Any advice is welcome, Thank you in advance!
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    10 Dec 2019 08:20 PM
    You could go to a recruiter at 16 to gather information. You can't do anything concrete till you're 17, and that's with a parent's approval
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    11 Dec 2019 07:31 AM
    I believe at 16 your parents must go with you to the recruiter. You can join at 17 with their permission. I think it is awesome you already have a plan for life but please don't rush things. Graduate with your class in May 2021 and enjoy still being a child while you are one. Once you are an adult, you are for life. Don't be in such a hurry if you don't have to be. Again, not discouraging you, I am glad you have a plan and know what you want. But the CG will still be there and 6 months later will only give you an opportunity to enjoy your classmates and family more, no bearing on your potential career. Either way, best of luck!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    12 Dec 2019 05:25 AM
    OG's advice is spot on.

But my late and dearly beloved step father would not agree with "Once you are an adult, you are for life." He just didn't see it that way.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 Dec 2019 06:03 AM
    I don't want to be an adult. There are days I think I'm done playing house, when is my mommy coming to get me?! She doesn't come get me. I'm an adult but I try very hard not to grow up!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CCCSD

--
    12 Dec 2019 08:53 AM
    I’m going to be a bit direct: you can’t enlist yet. You are wasting a Recruiters time until you are legally able to enlist. Recruiters are buried under with work just to process those able to enlist. They don’t have time to spend chatting.

Wait until you have graduated and are of age.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 Dec 2019 10:37 AM
    No, I'm sorry CCCSD, on this one you're wrong. Plenty of recruits see recruiters prior to graduation, they get their career started so they can ship out immediately after graduation. I personally know 4 recruits that shipped to Cape May in less than a month of graduation from high school. That can't be done if they don't start early. Also, the OP has to understand, when calling a recruiter, there is a very good chance that an appointment will take far longer than someone that is already graduated. But there are few recruiters that would say kid I have no time for you. They might say I have time for you, but it will be a couple of weeks from now. There is no reason to wait to make initial contact.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CCCSD

--
    12 Dec 2019 03:32 PM
    They can’t do a thing when they are 16, nor WITHOUT parental permission.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    14 Dec 2019 07:56 PM
    They can provide general info.  Not much else
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    16 Dec 2019 07:37 PM
    Being a recruiter is more than just processing people through to boot camp. Its about building relationships and educating the community when time permits. If a recruiter had time, why wouldn't he meet with a member of the community to talk to them, build relationships, and educate. They build this time into their schedule. Maybe not all of them, but they do.
    They can do a lot of things when they are 16. Educate, build relationships, offer advice, encourage, point them in the right direction. I'm an AST and I spend a lot of time working with members in the community, doing non AST things. We have met with kids in high school, went to swim practice, talked to parents, given tours, met with members in the fishing community and sailing community.
    I say don't ever wait! Its never too soon to start educating yourself and exploring avenues. Pursue the things you are interested in. You may expedite your process or you may discover it isn't what you thought it was....Nothing may happen but there is every reason to reach out. One thing is for sure; you will learn something. If we are learning we are growing.
    If the recruiter is too busy, send me a message and I will see if I can answer any questions for you or help point you in the right direction.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    17 Dec 2019 05:52 AM
    MKelly, SPOT ON!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement