Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
ME at a PSU - Clearwater FL
Last Post 12 Jan 2020 10:15 PM by CPORJM. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
AT120

--
06 Jan 2020 07:59 AM
    I am currently in the process of joining the CG reserves as an ME. I am a full time law enforcement officer with 3 years of experience. I qualify for the DEPOT program to enter the CG as an ME and will be able to by-pass A school.

I am specifically interested in joining a PSU, but I see the only one in Florida is in Clearwater, which is about a 4 and a half hour drive for me. A few other officers in my department were prior CG or are CG reserves, but none of them in a PSU. They told me reservists usually get to choose their drill weekends, or attend extended drills to fulfill their requirements.

Any PSU members on here who can shed some light on how drill weekends work for a PSU? Also, how are the deployments to GITMO? I’ve read that they are approximately 9 months long. Any insight on how much you get to communicate with your family while deployed to GITMO (I’m married and a father of 2)? I’ve also read that they can visit you on base over there, any of that accurate? I’ve asked my recruiter some of these questions, but he doesn’t have any PSU experience and doesn’t seem to be too familiar with how things work within a PSU. I can definitely see that there is a push for PSU within the office, as they have magazines and posters promoting it, to go along with a 10k enlistment bonus, which is pretty sweet on top of the fact that it is the unit I am specifically interested in.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ljcalimano

--
    07 Jan 2020 05:06 PM
    There are several PSUs throughout the country and they all operate pretty much the same. PSUs operate a bit different than the “regular” coast guard. The entire unit drills the same weekend and it’s usually Friday through Sunday. The regular coast guard is more laid back when compared to the PSU by allowing you to batch drills or kind of choosing your drill weekend, etc. 

PSU do deploy to GTMO as well as other locations, but GTMO is pretty much on a a scheduled deployment. If I’m not mistaken the last time the Florida PSU went to GTMO was 2015. The deployment is 1 year = 2 months stateside plus 9 at GTMO and 1 month of leave. dont quote on the exact time frame. 

PSUs are a high priority. As you can see they’re offering bonuses. It’s not for everyone specially with the deployments, but they can fun. 
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    07 Jan 2020 05:52 PM
    Understand that the PSU's deploy on short order should the need arise. Right now, the only mission is GITMO, but understand that depending on world events, you could end up elsewhere, and have to do it on very short notice. It could very well be to a place where comms with your family are extremely limited. By that, I mean you might be able to communicate once a week via email.

As Ljcalimano said, Reservists assigned to regular CG units have much more flexibility in planning their monthy duty periods and annual training (2 weeks active duty). Due to the PSU's mission, everyone has the same weekend (e.g. 3rd weekend of each month) and same two week AD period. With a fixed drill schedule, it's very difficult to make up any drills you miss

You should seriously consider the commute to the PSU in Clearwater. If it's 4 1/2 hours each way, that's 9 hours month you're commuting and it's on your dime. Per regulation, the CG must place you at a unit within the Reasonable Commuting Distance (RCD) from your home. This is 100 miles round trip from your zip code of residence to the zip code of your unit. If you're willing to waive this, the CG can place you anywhere. As I just mentioned, you're responsible for any commuting costs outside the RCD. I do not recommend this for junior enlisted members, as it will take a good chunk out of an already small paycheck.

Since you have some law enforcement experience, you might want to consider the Investigator (IV) rating. You would be assigned to a Coast Guard Investigative Service detachment, doing investigations internal and external to the CG, as well as protective service operations for the Commandant of the CG. There's a great deal of flexibility in planning your duty periods, no uniform requirement , and the ability to directly utilize your civilian skill set in your CG job, as well as attend training on the CG dime that will benefit you in your police career.

I just retired after 20 years in the CG Reserve, so if you have any Reserve related questions or IV related questions, let me know.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    daylightvampire

--
    12 Jan 2020 08:46 PM
    If you are assigned to a regular sector or station, how can you transfer to PSU?
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    12 Jan 2020 10:15 PM
    Posted By daylightvampire on 12 Jan 2020 09:46 PM
    If you are assigned to a regular sector or station, how can you transfer to PSU?

Go into Direct Access and update your e-resume, then route for approval
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement