Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Captain Mast
Last Post 01 Nov 2008 02:13 AM by Old Guard2. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
MILO

--
29 Oct 2008 02:42 PM
    Has anyone been through the Cost Guard version of this process?  I have heard in the Navy they do the Captain's Mast in front of everyone not on duty.  Any suggestions to relay on a successful outcome?
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    29 Oct 2008 03:45 PM
    Define what you mean by "successful outcome". Captain's Mast is an Article 15 Nonjudicial Punishment proceeding. For the most part, the fact that someone is being given an Article 15 means that their guilt has already been established in the eyes of the responsible officials. The purpose of the hearing is to put the offense on the official record, make sure that the accused is informed of their rights under the UCMJ, and to determine punishment. If the accused believes they are innocent, their recourse is to request Court Martial. If they believe the punishment was unfair or inappropriate, they can appeal the punishment (not their innocence) to a higher authority.

It's been a long time since I had to deal with the UCMJ, so if I got any of that wrong, I hope that someone will correct me.<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 10/29/2008 5:47:09 PM GMT

MILO

--
    29 Oct 2008 04:13 PM
    I wasn't aware that guilt was already established.  I thought this was the accused chance to plead their case.  I read a thread from someone masted in the Navy and he stated he wished he'd kissed butt and pleaded more.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    29 Oct 2008 04:48 PM
    The accused does get to make a statement and present any extenuating circumstances, express remorse, etc., which could get the punishment reduced substantially.

It's possible that the CO might hear something during the hearing which would cause him to look further into the matter but, for that to happen, the whole system would have to run off the rails.

Note: Anyone in need of actual legal advice should talk to a lawyer or at least read the regs themselves.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    sardaddy

--
    29 Oct 2008 05:01 PM
    Here is how it works. If someone is thought to do something wrong that is a relatively minor issue such as disobeying a direct order there is an investigation put into play.

The assigned person investigates the incident and provides evidence and opinion about the infraction. The investigator can suggest the incident be dropped, they can suggest a Mast or they can suggest a Courts Martial.

The Head of the Mast will then review the investigators suggestion and go forward from there. If he decides to hold a mast, the accused can choose to accept the Mast, say his piece and provide any extenuating circumstances and take whatever the head of the Mast chooses (usually very light punishment) to do based on the accused's statement, the statement of others and the presented evidence. Or he can go to Court Martial and take his chances there. The difference is that a Mast is Non-judicial punishment meaning even if the Mast goes against the accused, once it is done, it is done. In a Court's Martial if he is found guilty, he is now convicted of a Federal crime and it will be on his record FOREVER.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.

MILO

--
    29 Oct 2008 05:39 PM
    Thanks for the replies.....never thought I would need this kind of advice when my son went off to his duty station....at 20 yrs old he is learning life's lessons...after being his company yoeman,  receiving a coin from his company commander and being recognized at his boot camp graduation he was gun ho when he went to his assignment....In his short time there he has developed a good reputation for working hard, so we are hoping that helps...
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    uberchris

--
    29 Oct 2008 08:39 PM
    if a coastie who was not on duty or on base got a tresspassing ticket (misdemeanor or worse), would captain mast apply? or at least where could i find links on this information?
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    29 Oct 2008 11:12 PM
    A lot would depend on the exact circumstances. Even if trespassing is not specifically covered in the punitive articles, and I don't think it is, it could easily be written up as a general article.

Wikipedia has an article on the UCMJ that's probably a good place to start.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    uberchris

--
    29 Oct 2008 11:43 PM
    thanks!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    01 Nov 2008 02:13 AM
    My ex stood tall before the man a very long time ago... he had several chiefs stand up for him and he was extremely remorseful for his infraction. He got his punishment, he behaved himself after that & all worked out. He has been on the other side of the table as well as an officer..... he defended a chief when he was an LT everything worked out in that one too. It is stressful and of course you worry but just be strong and supportive for your son, fall apart afterwards if you need to.

He sounds like a good kid, a good Coastie... I'm sure he'll be ok and it will work out... hang in there.

Eat, drink & be merry for tomorrow you may be in Kodiak.  One of my personal favorites. 

<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 10/31/2008 8:17:54 PM GMT

USCGC Midgett
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement