Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
thinking out loud...taxes
Last Post 07 Feb 2020 02:19 PM by Old Guard2. 16 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
magmam

--
03 Feb 2020 03:37 PM
    My son is in OCS right now, started Jan 8th graduates in May. I'm sure there is some type of plan but since communication is extremely limited right now [no cell phones] minimal email and because I don't want to ask any questions..I am wondering if anyone has been in OCS during tax season and how were you able to do your income taxes? It is a little different then boot because of the duration of school...
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    03 Feb 2020 06:07 PM
    I was in rescue swimmer school during tax season a while ago. I just did my taxes late at night. I'm sure it'll all get worked out. Its not the first or last time somebody will be in a school during tax season.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    03 Feb 2020 06:14 PM
    Or he could file for an extension
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    04 Feb 2020 02:08 PM
    I realize he is not the first one in school, and he has been active duty for 10 years already. I figure they will have "earned" their internet/phone access by then (tax deadline) and he will be able to either 1) file his taxes or 2) apply for an extension. As of right now he can do neither..and I was curious how others had handled it. Thanks for your response
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    04 Feb 2020 02:27 PM
    Mag, can you do them for him? I don't touch anything tax related for my son. Between his pay, his wife, their investments, now owning a house... I'm out! LOL But I do know some parents that do them for their military member, not only CG but all branches.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    04 Feb 2020 03:36 PM
    Old Guard- I guess that may end up being an option [he is single so no wife to do them..lol]. I would still need to access his info which I am assuming is thru his CG email?  I might be able to do the extension though without that info... I am hoping that by the end of March he may have some real internet access...or can at least have enough access to send me info....not super concerned, just figured others have had to figure this out. This is like boot camp all over again, waiting on that first phone call...lol Ironically he was in boot camp at this time 10 years ago. Hope all is well with you!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    04 Feb 2020 06:25 PM
    Old Guard did you son buy in SI or Jersey?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CCCSD

--
    04 Feb 2020 07:14 PM
    He just might be old enough and responsible enough to do his own taxes. He needs to learn to multi task.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    04 Feb 2020 09:44 PM
    CCCSD when you were in OCS how long did it take until you got internet access?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    05 Feb 2020 06:04 AM
    Let's not attack a mom asking a question. She is very well aware her son is old enough and capable enough to handle his own responsibilities. She is just looking for ideas, thoughts, personal sharing. She doesn't deserve to be told to basically mind her own business. My mother always told me, and I wholeheartedly believe this, once you are a parent, you are a parent for 24 hours the rest of your life. Just because our children are in the military and away from home for 10 years, doesn't mean we instantly stop being concerned or wondered how things get done. A little kindness goes a long way everyone.

Mag, they transferred last June. They bought a house in Buffalo. It is a gorgeous first house for them and I was lucky enough to go house hunting with them. They valued my opinion... again, a child asking a parent for assistance. The decision was ultimately theirs but it was nice to know my perspective was appreciated. But maybe I should have told them you're old enough, figure it out for yourself. (Never gonna happen, especially when asked!!!!!)
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CCCSD

--
    05 Feb 2020 08:52 AM
    While it’s wonderful to care, it’s also time to take a back seat. He’s a grown up, expected to make decisions involving things that may cause injury or death. Helicopter parenting does nothing positive.

Harsh? No. Military? Yes. Life? Yes. We won most wars and conflicts because we allowed those involved to take charge and be responsible. Doing things for your kids for the rest of their lives does nothing but make them dependent. Not a trait for a leader.

Let go. Let him live HIS life, not yours.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    05 Feb 2020 09:24 AM
    OG. Is your son going to STA Buffalo? Mine has orders there when he gets back from Bahrain.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    05 Feb 2020 11:31 AM
    Mag has been a military mom for 10+ years. She has only ever posted here when wondering something. Just wondering how does this work, how does that work and only when she is out of communication with her son. Again, it takes a minute to be nice or just pass a post by. She does not helicopter, I am more of a helicopter mom. Again, she was just wondering how this will be able to work for her son. Telling a parent to let a child go... It would be easier to let an appendage go.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    05 Feb 2020 11:35 AM
    Aux, my son is at sector in Buffalo. My son is an OS. Welcome back to your son.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    05 Feb 2020 01:59 PM
    Thanks Old Guard! Have to say I have been a long suffering Bills fan, since the days of Jim Kelly-probably beautiful up there but too cold for me! Glad to hear they are doing well!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    07 Feb 2020 02:08 PM
    We wish, especially after how tense things were recently. He's not back until late May. And as Aux we report to Sector Buffalo, so I'm in your son's AOR. Small world.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    07 Feb 2020 02:19 PM
    If you're ever in sector, stop by and ask for him. He has gone flying a few times with an auxiliary member. The pictures from that have been awesome. The world gets a little smaller every day!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement